Rhine water levels 2017 and similar topics

notamermaid

So, you might have read about all the rain and the situation on the Danube, but how is the Rhine doing? After a steady fall over the last two weeks there has been a nice rise due to the recent rain. It is raining right now all over the Southwest of Germany and more rain will come. There is still room for quite a bit of water before there will be any flooding, which is more likely to happen South of Karlsruhe (if at all). Currently forecast scenario there is that the river level will stay just under the figure from which on - and above - river traffic has to sail at reduced speed (no closures).

notamermaid

Police in Koblenz announced a few minutes ago that the bomb has been defused successfully. My heartfelt thanks to those guys from the squad and all helpers.

And the next one has been found, this time in the Palatine region of Rhineland-Palatinate. Defusal is planned for Tuesday.

notamermaid

Notamermaid you are a jewel. Thank you for all the info. Can you do a non Celsius American a favor and show an easy way to translate C into F? While I am asking dumb questions, when you list the water levels, can you tell me what is normal? High or Low? Thank you in advance.

Also, I found a new weather site that is quite good Weatherspark.com

Can you do a non Celsius American a favor and show an easy way to translate C into F?

Easiest way is to use an app on your phone (ask Siri, ask Google, etc):)

Other than that, you have to do some math. Multiply degrees C by 1.8, then add 32 to get degrees F

Example:

degrees C = 10

10*1.8 = 18

18+32 = 50

So degrees F would be 50

I just think of it as:

10 is cold

20 is nice

30 is hot

I love it!! Thanks to you and the Other Tom for the more scientific method. I lived in Dubai years ago and have always told people that the coldest it ever got there was 52F and the warmest was 52C.

Notamermaid you are a jewel. Thank you for all the info. Can you do a non Celsius American a favor and show an easy way to translate C into F? While I am asking dumb questions, when you list the water levels, can you tell me what is normal? High or Low? Thank you in advance.

Also, I found a new weather site that is quite good Weatherspark.com

Thank you. Actually, I am glad others have stepped in about the temperature gauge as I have not got a clue. When I want to find out what "Fahrenheit-people" are talking about I just type it into google and it does it for me. Without the computer I am stuck.

Oh, and thank you for the weather website.

And not forgetting: the water level has risen to 215cm at Kaub and 188cm in Koblenz. I give these two gauges as guidance as they are in the part of the Rhine valley where there is most likely to be a problem with low water levels. We sort of established last year that river cruise ships can get problems when the level falls below 95cm (they do not immediately get stuck but the ones with the deepest draft slow down - see last year's thread for more details on that). So no need to worry, things are looking good. Flooding is a trickier thing to follow as the gauges differ from section to section but anything below 470cm at Koblenz is fine.

notamermaid

Not that much actually right now. Today is a fine day and tomorrow will see quite a bit of sunshine as well. Wednesday will be cloudier with rain and susequent days will see more rain and unsettled weather.

Yesterday morning it was quite chilly, autumn is slowly approaching.

Oh, and the first Christmas biscuits are in the shops (i.e. supermarkets) :eek:! I am still trying to hold on to holiday joy and Summer feeling, how can anyone buy those in September. :confused:

notamermaid

The weather is unsettled as predicted, autumn storms and rain mixed with sunshine make choosing your outside clothes a small challenge. But the season brings a treat - the beverage I mean - that you can only sample in the country and cannot take home (unless you have a person holding the bottle upright in the car or other means of transport). Taking it on a plane is probably forbidden, at least unadvisable: https://www.thelocal.de/20170908/heres-a-culinary-treat-you-need-to-try-in-germany-before-autumns-end

The water level has fallen to 185cm at Kaub and 171cm at Koblenz.

notamermaid

Notamermaid. Looks like rain following me to Europe. Haven't packed rain clothes yet! leaving Friday...We are really stressed we live in Naples Fl. 6 months of the year. Trying to stay positive but now we are safe in Boston ... Not knowing if we will have a place to return to has taken joy out of our upcoming river cruise...Hurricaine due to hit tomorrow.. saying our prayers for Florida...

A storm of the stronger autumn type hit the Rhineland during the night, it woke me up but all the roof tiles seem to be still there and all trees are standing around my part of the town. We do not really have hurricanes... The warning category 3 (it can get up to 4) is in place for the hills Northeast of Basel, Eastnortheast of Strasbourg (over the Rhine in the Black Forest that is), Heidelberg and the whole North of Germany along the coast including Hamburg.

Looking out of the window one would not think so... it is sunny but the unsettled weather feeling is there, one knows the next gust of wind is lurking round the corner.

Hope all is well - or if not, getting better and that help is on its way - over the big pond.

To ease the tension about weather here is a story of perseverance, endurance, unhurriedness - or laziness, or just plain loss of interest ;). How to take your time when building large structures: http://www.dw.com/en/5-buildings-you-probably-didnt-know-took-more-than-500-years-to-build/a-19402414

notamermaid

Notamermaid... our place in Fl. Is ok unfortunately many places are devastated..no power for a few weeks but we will deal with it when we return from our river cruise. Monitoring alerts about rain and wind on the Rhine... I keep throwing warmer clothes in suitcase... Don't mind a shower but not torrential rain.. Do you see any improvement on the horizon? We leave Friday...for Amsterdam...😬

I am afraid the weather forecast for the next four days shows unsettled weather conditions with rain on and off, showers with occasional thunderstorms and cool temperatures. It looks as if these conditions will stay with us into next week. The upper Rhine valley will get more rain (in total amount) than the middle or lower Rhine valley over the next four days. I found the wind quite cool this morning.

Water levels are fine. I hope the upper Rhine valley can cope with the amount of rain. If there is wideswept rain in the lower Alps, the Black Forest and the Vosges mountains at the same time it might be too much and the Rhine rises quickly. But as I said all is fine right now, levels are staying put or only rising very slightly. To give you an idea of what I mean: Maxau near Karlsruhe is at 486cm right now. The level nearly scraped the flooding mark I of 620cm (meaning slowed down, but not halted traffic) on 3 September after torrential rain. It has been falling in a sort of steadily fashion since then, till it started rising again at midnight and with all the rain coming down I expect the rise will continue. I will have a look tomorrow what the experts say on the official "info for citizens" website.

notamermaid

Beyond the standard ports... part 8

Next up in my series downstream from Engers would be Neuwied. The town is in the process of improving and restructuring its embankment creating a modern docking place. Due to some problems with the building contractor work was slowed down so they are behind schedule... and will have to wait till I revisit the situation at a later date.

So next is: Andernach

The small-ish town on the left bank of the Rhine is a Roman settlement with Celtic origins and has retained its medieval character with town wall remains and a nice market square. Some impressive finds have been unearthed in recent years that show the importance of the town in Roman times. Here is some info on the town: http://www.andernach.de/en/tourismus/tourismus.html Outside of town on a small island is the world's highest cold water geyser: https://www.geysir-andernach.de/?L=1

As regards location: Koblenz is at Rhine kilometre 591 and Andernach at 613.

Who stops there? Several German river cruise companies including Phoenix Reisen, Dutch companies and CroisiEurope on a few tours. Andernach is a stop for several ships chartered by UK tour operators and one company using the "Olympia" even has an itinerary starting in Andernach. Of non-European companies APT River Cruises (using the AmaWaterways fleet) stops there on its long itinerary crossing Europe, for the exclusive evening excursion at Namedy castle, which is nearby.

notamermaid

The "Hochwasserportal" for Germany, with excellent regional information on water levels shows for Maxau 502cm right now. The prediction is for slightly rising, falling and then rising water levels again. No significant level for flooding is predicted for the next 7 days.

notamermaid

The Rhine water levels show a significant drop compared to four days ago. Prediction is for stagnating or slightly falling levels. Depending on rainfall a slight rise inbetween is possible as well. Very good for sailing right now as it is neither low nor high anywhere. It is raining on and off and chilly, especially in the mornings. Autumn is here and the first leaves are turning red and yellow.

notamermaid

We have a nice warm spell with sunshine during the day when the morning mists over the water have cleared. The river level has fallen a bit (not to worry) and it looks as if it is going to be a nice afternoon, temperatures in the Upper Rhine valley could reach 20 degrees today. Slightly lower temperatures are forecast for the next three days.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Notamermaid. I have been reading your very helpful information for the last several weeks. We will be sailing from Amsterdam on Sunday, 8 October and conclude our Rhine cruise in Basel on 15 October. BBC weather seems to indicate cool temperatures with spotty showers throughout the week. Does this agree with your own observations of weather conditions? Also, do you think the water levels will remain favorable? Thank you again.