What have been your best Cunard experiences ?

Host Hattie

1) Taking the QE2 to Hawaii as she was deadheading to spend 6 months in Japan as a floating hotel offshore of Tokyo and Osaka(?) in 1989. She still had the 70s remodeled mod decor including the eye-popping midships lounge with go-go colors and white baby grand piano. Crew only sailed from Honolulu to Tokyo. Because they crossed the international dateline they missed Christmas, but because they were Brits, they celebrated Boxing Day.

2) Taking the QE2 through the Panama Canal on another holiday in 1997. Our first at sea day was Thanksgiving. What was cute was the decorations were done up by the British staff to celebrate the American holiday. What they came up with was red white and blue bunting and what looked like a 4th of July celebration (admittedly not a big UK holiday either). The turkey dinner was wonderful.

Also, on that trip, we scraped bottom while transiting the Gaillard Cut. We had been hanging with a group which included the boyfriend of the Mauritania Restaurant's Maitre d' - who had crossed from England to NY, done a canal transit to CA and was heading back. So, we were tied-into the gossip mill. Once we completed the transit, we anchored offshore and they shifted ballast to tilt the ship to make it easier for scuba divers to examine the damage - and certify things for the insurance companies. (...and BOY were the rumors flying in the hours we were anchored listing like they were serving Columbian coffee on the starboard side.) Ultimately, the damage was determined to be cosmetic and we were cleared to sail.

We also received an upgrade to Queen's Grill from Caronia. It was an all-time great cruise.

3) We joined the QE2 on a W. Med cruise in Rome/Civitavecchia to Southampton to say farewell to her in 2008 and transferred to the QM2 for a crossing home. This was also the occasion for the Queen to say farewell to the ship she had christened many years prior at a special luncheon aboard after our arrival at Southampton. The crew was all flustered and atwitter in the days preceding the luncheon to make sure everything was just perfect.

It was especially interesting watching in front of the terminal as we waited for our complimentary taxis to take us to the QM2 as there was a steady parade of black cars with all the swells arriving for lunch with the Queen (and the ladies' hats!)

4) Seeing the QM2 for the first time. She arrived in SF with great celebration in February 2007 as part of her world cruise. We traveled to the Wharf to see her and she was breathtaking, No one in town could talk of anything else that day. This was in spite of another fairly large event happening that day elsewhere, the Super Bowl. At the time, I turned to my husband and told him that we'd be on her next year.

And we were. And in a few weeks we'll be back on her for our fourth voyage.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Other treasured Cunard memories

• On our Hawaii trip on the QE2, talking to a singer at the crew bar (the Pig) and hearing how on that night's show, a tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber, when they did the Starlight Express number, wearing roller skates, they'd launch off from the corners of the dance floor (this was the old setup before there was a proscenium of sorts) ...and wherever they ended up on nights like ours mid-Pacific, they'd "ta daa" act as if that was what was intended. Of course in my mind's eye, this is accompanied by "JAZZ HANDS!"
  • On our canal transit on the QE2, hearing the crew talk about how the year before, Princess Diana had confounded her handlers by demanding to join the crew in the most down-and-dirty, no-officers crew bar, the aforementioned Pig. And how, to a person, they treasured her acknowledgement. It was less than a year later that she died and I kept thinking of the crew that weekend. (They were doing their annual Newport Jazz Festival cruise)
  • On our 2008 crossing on the QM2, I needed to compose some long-overdue letters to express deep gratitude to special people, following my mother's death. I took an hour each afternoon to curl up in the deep leather chairs or quiet window nooks in the library to gather my thoughts and put them on paper through my quiet tears. It was a refuge I needed and will forever be grateful for.

-Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

I guess I have three really memorable experiences:

1. Our first ever cruise to the Norwegian Fjords on QM2 in the summer of 2009. I honestly couldn't believe how glamorous the ship was. As it was going to be a "one off" I hired all my formal outfits - now I own more formal outfits than day dresses.

2. Our best ever voyage was a transatlantic back to back in 2010 - booked whilst on our Norwegian Fjords cruise. Sailing into New York was something I'd always dreamed of as a child so it really was a dream come true. We're not really City people and were surprised at how impressed we were with New York - it was much cleaner and much quieter than we had anticipated and 8 hours simply wasn't long enough - and so, at some point in the future, we plan to spend a week there. On the transatlantic we especially loved the diverse mix of people and the multitude of things to do on all the sea days. We have friends who did a transatlantic and bitched that all there was to see was sea!!!!!!

3. In 2014 we booked a mini cruise on QE - 3 nights - for my birthday and thought that, as a treat, we'd book Britannia Club to, primarily, try out the anytime dining - we've only ever booked Britannia before - and the upgrade fairy visited us and upgraded us to a Q4. We absolutely loved the spaciousness of the suite, and the menu choices in Queens Grill were fairly special too.

Two stand out:

1. Our first eastbound crossing and our first view of the QM2 up close. Seeing the iconic bow and colors thrilled me, and still does each time I see her!

2. Leaving Hamburg on the anniversary of the QM2's first Hamburg departure, there was a HUGE celebration with an accompanying boat parade, fireworks, waters cannons, hundreds of people lining the shore waving flags and signs, music blaring, and all of the ship on our balconies or out on deck waving flags and shouting right back. Incredible experience!

Ricki

1) First TA on QE2 in December 2002. It was very rough for a couple of days, nevertheless I enjoyed the whole crossing a lot. Very social fun loving crowd on board.

2) Last QE2 Westbound in October 2008. This was very special occasion in tandem with QM2. We changed to the QM2 on the way back to Southampton

3) Having a single Queen Grill stateroom on a short QE2 weekender on October 2006. It all felt very exclusive!

Crossing the Atlantic from New York to Southampton in early June 1989 I met a wonderful man...We have been together ever since and on our way to another line's ship this June we will have our 28th Anniversary aboard the QM2, our 6th trip in her (7th will be our Jul 21 return. In between 1989 and now we have sailed in dozens of shipsof many lines including the QE2 across the Atlantic and once around the world, SEA GODDESS I, ROYAL VIKING SUN, QUEEN VICTORIA (where we spent a month in 2011 we both try to forget)...He missed sailing with me in the SAGAFJORD but did get two VISTAFJORD crossings with me. I think there were some other Cunard sailings we did together but as we age and I have sailed in over 115 ships they are beginning to elide in my memory - except the ones we didn't like and the few we just LOVED!

2 memories stand out -

First, our second voyage on the QM2 , westbound, having travelled eastbound the year before - walking into the Princess Grill to be greeted by name, shown to the same table as the previous year and with same waiter ( who remembered all our preferences!)

Second - sailing into Venice last September at dawn on the QV, having enjoyed an outstanding cruise from Athens.

For me the three best sailings are

1) The first sailing on QM2 from New York to Southampton in 2014, it was the best way to finish a three week trip around the world

2) Leaving Hamburg on QM2 in October 2015 with the fireworks celebrating her 50th visit to the city and looking down on the fireworks with the singing from the hotels on the riverbanks and

3) The face on my niece (7 years old) when we asked if she wanted to go on the QM2 to look after my parents as they 'might be scared' on the big ship

Afternoon tea is an absolute pleasure for me even sailing as a solo. The ability to sit back and read a good book while consuming gallons of tea and several scones is wonderful, and something I hope Cunard never changes. I don't want to be one of those old cruisers who sits in his nursing home lamenting that "I remember when Cunard used to serve afternoon tea to every guest, every single guest mind you" while conversing with the nearest hat and coat stand.

My best Cunard memory is undoubtedly our first voyage on the QM2 and in fact our first ocean voyage on any ship. That was the eastbound crossing November 1-6, 2005, back in the days when the QM2 did six-day crossings and departed from Manhattan.

The last formal night of that voyage was November 5 (which unbeknownst to me as an American happened to be Bonfire Night in the UK). Just before dinner that evening I proposed to the future Mrs. Bluemarble. As she was finishing up getting ready for dinner, I got down on my knees and handed her a jewelry box containing her engagement ring, telling her it was “something to compete her outfit for the evening”. When she saw what was inside she was speechless at first, but when I then “popped the question” her reply was an emphatic “Yes!”.

We have since followed up with crossings that have included November 5 in both 2010 and 2015 for the fifth and tenth anniversaries of our engagement (as well as several other Cunard voyages along the way). If the schedule works out, we plan on another voyage on the QM2 in November, 2020 for the fifteenth anniversary of that evening. And even though we are Americans, we now have a special appreciation for Bonfire Night.

John

Our first ever cruise on QE2 in 2004 for my 50th birthday, by day two I was well and truly hooked! Since then the pleasure of meeting up with members of the crew who have become friends. Remember walking past the Britannia Restaurant on the first day once to be greeted by the maitre d' with wide open arms! The sail ins and outs from Venice, a sight you never forget! So many fabulous experiences

Jackie

The one special experience we will always remember was one Caribbean Cruise.

It was the year Cunard was introducing the Queen Victoria being added to the Fleet.

The Female CEO at the time (I forgot her name) was sailing with us and was giving a presentation about the Ship. Also that trip was the first time the the QM2 was sailing into St Thomas's Crown Bay Pier. What a welcome we received upon docking. Music, Island Dances etc...beautiful.

After talking to her several times in passing while onboard we received a special honor. An invitation to the her table along with the Captain for Dinner. What an experience. There were about 12 of us dining and very interesting conversations and meeting other passengers.

What an honor to experience,

My only Cunard cruise was traveling solo on a WV on the QV. A few weeks into the trip I felt under the weather and did not go down for dinner. About 20 minutes after dinner started, my cabin phone rang. It was my head waiter checking to make sure I was OK. After I told him I was not coming down, he offered to have my dinner sent up.

It was nice to know that even traveling alone, people noticed when your not there.

Don

All the places I have visited whilst travelling Cunard and the magical experiences whilst on board the Cunard Ships (except a couple of times) , most memorable in my mind must be when being invited to dine with the Captain on several occasions. Dining with the staff I hear you say, use the term my self thanks to Mrs Bucket and Keeping up Appearances TV programme The QE2 episode lol. (Onslow: [speaking to Hyacinth] So then, this purser chap came up to the cabin and said we're on the captain's table. And I thought "Blimey!" I mean, you win a competition, you get a luxury cruise, and then they expect you to eat with the crew!)

Edited by Pennbank

My best Cunard memory is undoubtedly our first voyage on the QM2 and in fact our first ocean voyage on any ship. That was the eastbound crossing November 1-6, 2005, back in the days when the QM2 did six-day crossings and departed from Manhattan.

The last formal night of that voyage was November 5 (which unbeknownst to me as an American happened to be Bonfire Night in the UK). Just before dinner that evening I proposed to the future Mrs. Bluemarble. As she was finishing up getting ready for dinner, I got down on my knees and handed her a jewelry box containing her engagement ring, telling her it was “something to compete her outfit for the evening”. When she saw what was inside she was speechless at first, but when I then “popped the question” her reply was an emphatic “Yes!”.

We have since followed up with crossings that have included November 5 in both 2010 and 2015 for the fifth and tenth anniversaries of our engagement (as well as several other Cunard voyages along the way). If the schedule works out, we plan on another voyage on the QM2 in November, 2020 for the fifteenth anniversary of that evening. And even though we are Americans, we now have a special appreciation for Bonfire Night.

John

All the stories have been wonderful but I think you might have won the prize for the most romantic

Apart from the last transatlantic of QE-2 from New York to Southampton in tandem with QM-2, one of our best voyages was an earlier westbound transatlantic on QE-2. The Cunard package included BA economy flights from New York to London. However, we were able to upgrade the BA flight to First Class for about £2k per person, to Business Class for about £1k pp and to Concorde for £500 pp. There was no contest, Concorde was full of caviar eating, champagne swigging Brits for 3 hours 10 minutes.

Does anyone else remember these times?

Hi,

I can honestly say that I have greatly enjoyed all 17 of my sailings with Cunard: seven times on the QE2, six times on the QM2, and one time each on the Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth, Sagafjord and Vistafjord. I love the tradition and history of Cunard. Also, the other passengers are always very interesting.

However, I can narrow it down to two absolute favorites:

1) In May 1996, I did a five-day cruise on the QE2 to Bermuda with 600 other ocean liner enthusiasts (from groups such as the Steamship Historical Society of America and World Ship Society). We had many special group events including lectures by John Maxtone-Graham and Bill Miller. Because I had read many of their books, it was a thrill to meet both of them in person for the first time. Also, I had a wonderful time discussing ships with the other group members.

2) In May 2001, I did a special "Queen Mary/Queen Mary 2" theme crossing on the QE2. During this crossing, we celebrated the 65th anniversary of the original Queen Mary and had special lectures concerning the design of the upcoming QM2. These lectures included presentations by Stephen Payne (the designer of the QM2) as well as Pamela Conover (who was president of Cunard at the time). I loved learning details about the future QM2 (there was a lot of excitement surrounding this ship at the time).

Chuck

QE2: Sailing out of Manhattan as the afternoon lights all over the city began to come on.

Caronia: Walking into the Garden Lounge and hearing the classical trio Viva Expresia begin to play "Libertango" brilliantly. My journal that day said "I am a very happy person".

QM2: Tiring of foxtrot in Queens Room, walking just a few steps into G32, being recognized by Vybz, who started a merengue for us, and never stopped. When the music is right, it's amazing how the energy will follow.

Having ragged at Cunard at the worst experience, I need to say some good things too, and there are a lot of them. So I will try some highlights. My very first crossing was Southampton to NYC in 2004. I thought I am going to splurge thinking a crossing was a one time thing. The tickets in a Q5 were very expensive. About a month before the sailing, Cunard called and said that the price had been substantially reduced. Rather than taking all the refund as a credit, I booked the companion Luncheon trip to Southampton on Venice Simplon Orient Express and it was glorious. The train pulled into the Queen Elizabeth terminal and it was around the corner through check-in to the cabin.

The next time (it wasn't going to be a one time event after all.) was nearing Red Hook in Brooklyn. The ship was huge and could be seen for miles. I thought to myself that is what an ocean liner is supposed to look like.

The third event(s) were trips five and six. And east bound and westbound T/A. The ship was going on to Hamburg, and we got off in Southampton and went to Scotland for 3 days. I booked a Q4 both ways and found out I had been upgraded to the Holyrood Suite both ways. It was a little bit of heaven.

And there was more. As we were leaving Brooklyn looking out over the pool my traveling companion said look there are whales or dophins. A small voice with a serious German accent said (and I am not trying to be insulting here" but it has to be expressed as I heard it. The voice said": "Vales vere are der vales". We went to the back of the balcony and looked around the divider. It was Dr. Ruth Westheimer in the next suite. We sat next to her and sometime with her at dinner she moved around from table to table, and she was delightful. Probably the most memorable voyage of all. Except my next one, number 15 from Hamburg in November.

We booked a 2 week cruise to Norway on the Queen Elizabeth a few years back. We booked early and directly with Cunard and agreed to pay the price they quoted at the time of booking. Some months later Cunard contacted us to say that their pricing strategy had changed and the price of our cruise had reduced by almost £500 each and that they were amending our bill accordingly. Well done to Cunard for their honesty, they could have left us in ignorance.

The cruise itself was fabulous, with very calm seas, fabulous scenery, mostly clear skies and very warm weather.

We booked a 2 week cruise to Norway on the Queen Elizabeth a few years back. We booked early and directly with Cunard and agreed to pay the price they quoted at the time of booking. Some months later Cunard contacted us to say that their pricing strategy had changed and the price of our cruise had reduced by almost £500 each and that they were amending our bill accordingly. Well done to Cunard for their honesty, they could have left us in ignorance.

The cruise itself was fabulous, with very calm seas, fabulous scenery, mostly clear skies and very warm weather.

Was this at the time of Cunard changing from Vantage Fares to Cunard Fares/Early Saver fares in 2014?

I still have the email they sent in November 2013:

I am writing to tell you that from 4 November we are changing the way that we price our holidays departing from Spring 2014 and, as you have a future booking with us, I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know what this change means in general and specifically for your booking.......

Turning to your booking with us in June, whilst your cruise departs after the changes to our fares have been made, the Cunard Fare for your cruise has not been reduced at this time. I would like to assure you that the terms and condition of your booking have not changed and your Price Promise continues to be in place for the life of your booking and is now against the Cunard Fare.

In the future, if we lower this fare, we will write to you and offer a benefit equal to the fare reduction.

Was this at the time of Cunard changing from Vantage Fares to Cunard Fares/Early Saver fares in 2014?

I still have the email they sent in November 2013:

I am writing to tell you that from 4 November we are changing the way that we price our holidays departing from Spring 2014 and, as you have a future booking with us, I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know what this change means in general and specifically for your booking.......

Turning to your booking with us in June, whilst your cruise departs after the changes to our fares have been made, the Cunard Fare for your cruise has not been reduced at this time. I would like to assure you that the terms and condition of your booking have not changed and your Price Promise continues to be in place for the life of your booking and is now against the Cunard Fare.

In the future, if we lower this fare, we will write to you and offer a benefit equal to the fare reduction.

This was for a cruise in May/June 2013. We made our booking in 2012. I don't keep records for more than a couple of years, but we both remember how pleased we were at an unexpected reduction. It may have been the time that vantage fares came out, even though we booked well before that.