Adonia - Azamara Pursuit

jeanlyon

If you compare Princess Cruises on Pacific Princess prices they are much more expensive than their other ships cruise fares. It is simply to do with the lack of economies of running a small size ship. When P&O ran Adonia, sister to Pacific Princess the P&O cruise prices were always surprisingly inexpensive. In the final analysis P&O probably were not making a reasonable profit from Adonia.

Regards John

Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.

Having sailed with both azamara and pando there is a clear difference in favour of azamara. Yes cruises on pursuit are more expensive, the one I have just booked is about 50% more than a pando cruise and for that I am happy with the benefits azamara offer. I am also happy with how azamara have marketed pursuit. But if you look on the azamara pages there are just as many people unhappy with the direction azamara are taking as on this page complaining about pando.

I would not look on the azamara Web page for prices though. Much better through a UK agent.

Happy cruising everyone.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

Just had some advertising re Azamara cruises. I can't believe they are advertising Adonia (Pursuit) as a Brand New Ship! What rubbish. And my word they are expensive cruises. Inside cabin £3656 for 11 nights!!

Crazy prices, Albeit complimentary grog on Azamara.:halo:

Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.

To @Alanbab, agree with what you said above as we have also experienced cruising with Azamara , and with P&O. Generally, Azamara usually caters to a different market than P&O, and the former competes with the likes of Oceania and Viking Ocean cruise lines. Someone commented the difference in fares between cruising on P&O and Azamara . (Without meaning to offend anyone in saying this), this is not surprising as it is almost like comparing flying Economy Class and Business Class, so there is bound to be a difference in fares.

The ex-Adonia, and soon to be Azamara Persuit, will probably be "re-mastered" and refurbished and upgraded in its accommodation.

Savy cruisers here probably know that there are different levels of cruise lines with different prices to suit different markets. Cruise lines are not all the same. Some cruisers would know that all cruise lines offer special deals, so if you are "shocked" at the rack-rate fares quoted to cruise with Azamara,if you are smart, you could probably be able to get a special deal and not pay the full fare.

Of course, Carnival Corporation, the parent company of P&O also have their premium class brand cruise line too, in the form of Seabourn. Seabourn is probably even more expensive than Azamara (in general) but they would argue that the quality they (Seabourn) offers is even higher. We wouldn't know because we could not afford to cruise with Seabourn, even if there were special deals!!!

Edited by Cahpek

Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny

Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny

Good for you. It shows it's always good to shop around -or have a fantastic and informative travel agent.

We learnt that the hard way when we first started cruising on our holidays. On our first cruise, we found that some fellow passengers who were staying in identical balcony cabins for much , much less than the price we had paid for ours. We felt like some kind of "suckers". Since then, we always look for good deals, compare with the competition for similar cruises and the fares they charge, look at what "extras" are thrown in free, and try not to pay the full rack rate/brochure price.

Silversea Cruises (which operate the Silver Wind) probably offers an even higher level of "luxury" than Azamara (Persuit). They are competing with the likes of Seabourn, Crystal, etc., etc. , the "ultra" luxury cruise lines. That is quite a jump up from Adonia to Silver Wind! You've got a great deal. Enjoy.

Edited by Cahpek

I regularly cruise with Azamara, Silversea and yes, P&O, depending on whether I am cruising with my partner, friends or mother.

There is absolutely no comparison in the cruise experience on Azamara and Silversea compared to P&O so yes, of course they are more expensive. You do get a lot more for your money!

On the Azamara board we are all looking forward to Adonia becoming Pursuit. She will be having a prolonged dry dock to bring her up to Azamara standards. Her senior crew have just been announced and are officers we all know well and like from Quest and Journey.

I cruised on Adonia a few years ago before the Fathom experiment and liked her very much but I know I'm going to LOVE her as Azamara Pursuit. Also looking forward to my mini cruise on Ventura this week. It will be fun....but I don't expect it to be anything like Azamara or Silversea.

Happy Cruising to you all. 😄

I couldn't agree that it's 50% more expensive. £3656 for 11 nights is 3 times the price of P&O. We have booked a 19 night cruise on Oriana and paid £1299 pp. Just doesn't compute, even with the freebies like Grats and drinks.

Different cruise fares vary, even when it is the same company (let alone with different companies). It is not easy to compare prices with precision. We went on 12 nights on the Ventura earlier in the year, and if we remembered correctly, it was nearly £1900, much more than what you paid for 19 nights on the Oriana for £1299. So, if based on our fares, fares on Azamara Persuit is NOT 3 times the price of P&O, more like 2 times the price (And if you are smart, you would try to look for deals and get even fares lower than the rack rates).

In any case, it is not fair comparing just the fares alone - it would be like comparing fares for flying in Business Class and in Economy class on a plane and complaining why Business Class fares are so-oooh expensive! You have to see what you are getting for what you paid. Azamara offers a different class of cruise experience with more items included compared to P&O. They cater for different markets.

So with respect, @jeanlyon, whether you are (or I am) willing or not, to pay the level of fares asked for on Azamara Persuit, Azamara Club Cruises feel that there will be others who wish to cruise with them at that level of fares. And that is all that matters to them.

Edited by Cahpek

My main complaint was the description of a "new" ship, when she is actually quite old. It's misleading for those who haven't cruised before.

Same in Australia when P&O Australia or Princess Australia or Carnival Australia receives another hand me down from the Carnival Corporation. Always announced with fanfare and trumpet blowing...'New mega luxury cruise ship for P&O Australia.' Oh yeah, a 20 year old broken down piece of junk that the Americans no longer want to travel on. Send to it Australia they cry, 'The Aussies never complain.' :o:(