Wine Package

Liverpoolgirl175

Don't know about the exchange rate.

The packages were available on board when we cruised earlier this year. Our sommelier also offered a daily red/white bottle special.

The prices for the daily specials were very good.

Don't forget that you can bring a bit of wine on board with you.

I think if you drink your wine "in oublic" rather than your cabin, there is a corkage charge, but nobody can stop you if you take a glass of your wine to dinner with you...

Four questions.

1. Are the wines in the wine packages available on board QE the same as those I found on the website?

2. Are there any price advantages in buying a package on board, vis -a-vis ordering from the wine list in the restaurant.

3. Do we receive details of wine packages aboard in our cabin, or do we have to ask?

4. Where can we consume the package wine. Bar or restaurant or just restaurant?

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone who has recently bought a wine package tell me the exchange rate Cunard are currently using (dollar to sterling).Thank you.

They are not using the exchange rate that you would get with your credit card. I tried to buy Captains Choice. 12 bottles, for a forthcoming cruise. The advertised price was $450, they would not sell it to me in $, only in sterling. The price was going to be £406, on that days exchange rate it should have been £376. I cancelled the order and complained as I think this is a blatant currency exchange rip off. If you advertise in a currency, you should sell in that currency, in my view. If you wait until you are on the ship, my belief is that you are charged in $, but you also have to pay the 15% service charge - so they get you one way or another.:mad:

They are not using the exchange rate that you would get with your credit card. I tried to buy Captains Choice. 12 bottles, for a forthcoming cruise. The advertised price was $450, they would not sell it to me in $, only in sterling. The price was going to be £406, on that days exchange rate it should have been £376. I cancelled the order and complained as I think this is a blatant currency exchange rip off. If you advertise in a currency, you should sell in that currency, in my view. If you wait until you are on the ship, my belief is that you are charged in $, but you also have to pay the 15% service charge - so they get you one way or another.:mad:

The price quoted includes service charge.

andhow

Four questions.

1. Are the wines in the wine packages available on board QE the same as those I found on the website?

2. Are there any price advantages in buying a package on board, vis -a-vis ordering from the wine list in the restaurant.

3. Do we receive details of wine packages aboard in our cabin, or do we have to ask?

3) Leaflets/wine lists offering a selection of the various wine packages are usually on request from any Bar Waiter/Sommelier or in the Lido/KC buffet area on the day of embarkation. They are not usually available in a Stateroom (unless you happen to come across one hidden in a draw somewhere) There are often promotions displayed on tables around the ship, or occasionally at Southampton this could be in the departure lounge shoreside.

4) You can consume the wine that you have purchased from a wine package either in the main restaurant or alternative dining areas, your own stateroom or in one of the open venues, however, it will be you responsibility to arrange to have a bottle 'delivered' to 'any other venue' 'well before hand'. ( usually you can arrange this with your restaurant Sommelier)

You will be causing your self ( not to mention the crew member) hassle if you turn up in one of the open bars and produce a coupon from your book of vouchers expecting to be served immediately. ;)

Edited by Bell Boy

Four questions.

I am also interested in Eliana’s question 2, is it better to buy your wine each day or take a wine package.

My understanding is that while the saving on actual wine cost is limited - around 10% on smaller packages - the big saving is on gratuities, which are avoided. Also, you may benefit from a better $/£ conversion rate.

Stuart

I am also interested in Eliana’s question 2, is it better to buy your wine each day or take a wine package.

If you intend to consume more than 'one bottle' during the entire cruise/voyage e.g. four six or twelve, then buying in bulk ( a wine package) is a better deal.

What you don't consume by the end of the cruise you can take home. ;)

• Like 1

If you intend to consume more than 'one bottle' during the entire cruise/voyage e.g. four six or twelve, then buying in bulk ( a wine package) is a better deal.

What you don't consume by the end of the cruise you can take home. ;)

Thanks for your advice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/3/2017 at 8:05 AM, buchhalm said:

Don't know about the exchange rate.

The packages were available on board when we cruised earlier this year. Our sommelier also offered a daily red/white bottle special.

The prices for the daily specials were very good.

Don't forget that you can bring a bit of wine on board with you.

I think if you drink your wine "in oublic" rather than your cabin, there is a corkage charge, but nobody can stop you if you take a glass of your wine to dinner with you...

The daily wine was it any good?