Amount of time needed for private tranfer from Rome port (Civitavecchia) to airport

somloi

Would like to know from people who have actually disembarked at Civitavecchia and hired a private car to go straight to Rome airport (Fiumicino - Leonardo da Vinci) how much time is safely needed for drive/checking in luggage/customs? Our NCL ship says it docks at 6 am on a Thursday however we know getting off the ship may start much later than 6am. Flight to USA at 11:45 am....too tight???? We also will be taking our luggage off ship by ourselves and private car will meet us right at ship's side.

If you look on the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

There are dozens and dozens of threads on your questions.

The drive to FCO is about an hour. An 11:45 flight is quite doable. If you are flying direct to the US, you need to be allowing at least 2.5 hours for checkin, security, etc. Less if your flight goes within Europe.

I used to say at flight at 11:45 AM is doable but now I am starting to rethink this.

I say this because I am thinking it is wise to arrive to the airports three hours prior to flight if they are flying back to the USA where there is now additional security being implemented.

As usual CruiserBruce has this right that this is discussed frequently on the ports of call board and the drive is about one hour. And as CruiserBruce noted many recommend 2 and 1/2 hours for arrival. I just think that three hours might be wise given everything and remember that you are booking a flight that is in the future and we don't know what the future will bring.

Of course I don't like stress and don't want to worry about this.

Keith

As others have said, I'd allow 3 hours at the airport if flying back to the US (check in and extra security take time). Allow one hour for the actual drive time. And allow 15 minutes to find your driver and get loaded up and on your way.

So if it were me, I'd be planning to be off the ship by 7:30 am.

If not going to the US, you can shave an hour off the time needed at the airport.