Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

I tip my cap to those who like to be the Guinna pigs for something new on a cruise ship :). Throughout our long life we have learned (the hard way) to avoid being the first for most things. We just got off the Regal last Sunday and did chat with one of the contractors who was aboard to work on some of the new systems. It will be very interesting to see how it all works...or if there will be a 1000 screaming passengers yelling "we can't get into our cabin."

Although I am old (probably ancient) I love new tech. But I am yet to be convinced that the medallions will benefit cruisers as much as the cruise lines who will now be able to track everyone's spending patterns, habits, etc. Think about being in a bar. Now, I have to pull out my cruise card to pay for a drink. With a medallion I will not have to pull out a card. That sure sounds like amazing progress worth millions.

Hank

I'm looking at the webcam right now showing the Regal, and the only cabin lights on appear to be mid aft on the Dolphin deck. Perhaps those are the cabins selected for the test before the whole ship go live?

Nope the cabins in the pilot are mainly forward and mid ship from what we’ve heard. Ours is a forward port Marina deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, John. Will be an avid follower of your Ocean Medallion tales (and love anything to do with Regal Princess anyway). Thanks for taking the time!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

Claire and I are about to embark on our 27 day (maybe more) adventure on or favorite Princess Ship.

The beautiful Regal Princess will shine as the first of a long line of Ocean Medallion Class Cruise Ships. We don't exactly know what is in store for us but are looking forward with baited breath to the possibilities of new adventures, old friends and another dose of "come back new" and "Escape completely".

We look forward to seeing you there (or telling you about our experience) as we make History as the first (paying) passengers on the seas of new possibilities for fun, fun and did I mention fun!

We will sign in LIVE at our first opportunity and share our adventure.

Join in the conversation, ask questions, answer them I you can. This is my first time doing this and I will try to get the answers you need and, as just a passenger, unravel the unknown wonders of these first cruises.

2 day and counting,

John McGbbon

I'm looking at the webcam right now showing the Regal, and the only cabin lights on appear to be mid aft on the Dolphin deck. Perhaps those are the cabins selected for the test before the whole ship go live?

I was told by the concierge a couple days ago that the medallion will be tested on the rooms in the 200's-300's, but she didn't say which deck. She also said that about 100 people will have them.

I was able to create an account on the Ocean Compass website, but it won't allow me to enter my upcoming cruise booking number. Well I can enter it, but it says: Unfortunately, your reservation wasn't found. Called the number for ***** Concierge. She said they were still working on it and hadn't released it yet. She was surprised that I had found it.:D

I was able to create an account on the Ocean Compass website, but it won't allow me to enter my upcoming cruise booking number. Well I can enter it, but it says: Unfortunately, your reservation wasn't found. Called the number for ***** Concierge. She said they were still working on it and hadn't released it yet. She was surprised that I had found it.:D

Is this is?

https://www.ocean.com/ocean/compass

That's what happens with ours and we are on the 12/3 sailing. It's only available on the google play store however, not for iPhones yet.

Did you find it on the computer?

Following along with you. Love to hear about.*****. Our first ***** cruise won’t be until 2019 on the Royal.

We just booked the 30 day on the Royal leaving 2/21/19 while on the Regal repo. We were surprised how many cabins were already booked for 2019

R U on the same one?

Howard

I'm also interested in hearing how this will play out.

I currently keep my cruise card in a small leather wallet we received from Princess along with some singles (for tips) and a credit card and photo ID for returning to ship.

I have no idea where I'll keep the medallion since I don't like a dangling necklace nor a wristband.

Hi Karen,

I have seen the medallions and they can easily slide into the Princess wallet and stay there for the entire cruise. Because you don't need the card to open your cabin or get on board the ship you can just leave it in the wallet and door will unlock when you get close to it.

I too don't normally carry my card with me, especially in the evening and if I do I usually stick it in my bra :o (don't judge me) so I am guessing the medallion might just get lost in there. :')

Following along in the live thread to see how it rolls out. Quite excited about the entire thing. We will be on for the Royal Roll Out

We just booked the 30 day on the Royal leaving 2/21/19 while on the Regal repo. We were surprised how many cabins were already booked for 2019

R U on the same one?

Howard

I think that is because that is a special cruise - I am on it too - 49 days repo for the Royal around the horn to the West Coast. Always sells fast.

Hi Karen,

I have seen the medallions and they can easily slide into the Princess wallet and stay there for the entire cruise. Because you don't need the card to open your cabin or get on board the ship you can just leave it in the wallet and door will unlock when you get close to it.

I too don't normally carry my card with me, especially in the evening and if I do I usually stick it in my bra :o (don't judge me) so I am guessing the medallion might just get lost in there. :')

Following along in the live thread to see how it rolls out. Quite excited about the entire thing. We will be on for the Royal Roll Out

Hi Vickie,

I'm excited to hear about your cruise!

Glad to hear that it'll just fit in the wallet and that I won't need to take it in and out. I wonder how it will work for getting drinks - will I need to present it or will the computer just "know" it's me sitting there?

As far as keeping you card in your bra - no judgements here!!! The medallion should be more comfortable for that. ;) (Again, as long as you don't have to take it out every time you want a drink)

Hi to Bernie and we have to cruise together again! We just spent 28 (UNBELIEVABLY FABULOUS !!!!! ) days on the Emerald and I missed my dancing partner.

Hi Vickie,

... I wonder how it will work for getting drinks - will I need to present it or will the computer just "know" it's me sitting there?

'''....

It's just like the door lock. All you need to do is be close. Your server will have a tablet which will display your photo to confirm he or she is billing the correct person.