Princess Cruises - BOGO + $1 (Happy Hour) Being phased out.

From Princess Cruises....Buy One Get One (drink) for $1 aka Happy Hour is being phased out/eliminated from the fleet, worldwide.:(:evilsmile:

But most of you probably knew that anyway.:eek:

BOGO has 'Gone to Gowings.'

On our one & only (so far) Princess cruise [29N Sun Princess Aus circle], the BOGO for $1 Happy Hour was one of the negatives for us. From 3pm-4pm you couldn't get a seat in the Wheelhouse Bar, as the punters went hard buying their drinks, and stockpiling the extra ones under their chairs for later on. Then suddenly the bar was empty!

We often visited the Wheelhouse for a pre-show drink at maybe 5:30 or 6, and not many were there. We also most nights would visit for an evening drink maybe around 10pm - bar was mostly empty even though there was some really good music acts each evening.. Our drink waiters encouraged us to visit for Happy hour as they noted we had not been there during the times - we don't usually drink much at 3pm, and we were at dinner during the evening session. We quickly realised that the crowded bar which then empties was not really for us.

We suggested that instead of selling the first drink for $6 and the second for $1, why don't they just sell them all for $3.50, which would be the same and would serve to even out the crowds. Our waiter said that he would raise it with his manager, but it has "always been like that". We made mention of all this on our survey.

So not sure if they listened to us :) and hence the change, or they just decided to remove the happy hour altogether. This news actually would make us more likely to go Princess again.

On our one & only (so far) Princess cruise [29N Sun Princess Aus circle], the BOGO for $1 Happy Hour was one of the negatives for us. From 3pm-4pm you couldn't get a seat in the Wheelhouse Bar, as the punters went hard buying their drinks, and stockpiling the extra ones under their chairs for later on. Then suddenly the bar was empty!

We often visited the Wheelhouse for a pre-show drink at maybe 5:30 or 6, and not many were there. We also most nights would visit for an evening drink maybe around 10pm - bar was mostly empty even though there was some really good music acts each evening.. Our drink waiters encouraged us to visit for Happy hour as they noted we had not been there during the times - we don't usually drink much at 3pm, and we were at dinner during the evening session. We quickly realised that the crowded bar which then empties was not really for us.

We suggested that instead of selling the first drink for $6 and the second for $1, why don't they just sell them all for $3.50, which would be the same and would serve to even out the crowds. Our waiter said that he would raise it with his manager, but it has "always been like that". We made mention of all this on our survey.

So not sure if they listened to us :) and hence the change, or they just decided to remove the happy hour altogether. This news actually would make us more likely to go Princess again.

Agree, dropping the prices by say 25% all the time would ensure the bars had a heatlhy following, if a beer or wine cost $4, they would sell a lot more.:halo: Our last time on Princess was in 2016, Island Princess from LA, as you say the bars were chock a block at BOGO time, they ran about 3 of them during the day/evening.

Trying to push people towards beverage packages maybe.

I won't complain, I'll just speak with my wallet (sea pass) and if I think it's too expensive will buy less and if I'm happy I'll buy more :) Drinks won't make or break a cruise for me and I could happily do without them anyway!

I do miss the days of getting DOTD and happy hours personally, instead of standard menu pricing everywhere.

My next cruise is NCL with the Ultimate Beverage Package included with Free at Sea (not really free but that's a whole other discussion), so not particularly concerned about what specials are offered on that one!

Not very confident in a lot of the business decisions being made at Princess lately, they still commend a premium price tag but seem to be operating more and more in line with your mainstream lines lately.

Trying to push people towards beverage packages maybe.

I won't complain, I'll just speak with my wallet (sea pass) and if I think it's too expensive will buy less and if I'm happy I'll buy more :) Drinks won't make or break a cruise for me and I could happily do without them anyway!

I do miss the days of getting DOTD and happy hours personally, instead of standard menu pricing everywhere.

My next cruise is NCL with the Ultimate Beverage Package included with Free at Sea (not really free but that's a whole other discussion), so not particularly concerned about what specials are offered on that one!

Not very confident in a lot of the business decisions being made at Princess lately, they still commend a premium price tag but seem to be operating more and more in line with your mainstream lines lately.

What is D O D T ?

Cheers

Different lines call their DODT different things, like on Princess it is 'Cocktail of the Day' sometimes drinkable, sometimes not. Like Uncle Mic I am partial to 'Chairman of the Board.' Lubbly Jubbly.

But I will miss the BOGO when I can order one Chivas Regal for $US7 and another for $US1 then pour one into the other for a self made double. Way to go.:cool: