More "Dumbing Down" of Cunard ??

Transatlantic Tom

Guest SilverHengroen
Cunard could simply solve the problem of Southampton by changing the crossing to New York to Liverpool.

As a Lymingtonian who enjoys the relatively short trip to Southampton for sailings I’d have to disagree in the strongest terms that that would solve anything :halo:

When I told people I was leaving from Southampton, many had no idea where that was or even what country it was in. Perhaps that is why they are putting "London" because most Americans at least have a clue where that is. Of course, anyone who books a cruise to London will be extremely surprised when they are deposited in Southampton.:eek:

Hello Scrapnana, how right you are.

I do not see the wording as a dumbing down at all.

Just making sure our friends across the pond know which country they are sailing too. :D Sending you best wishes and hope to see you on Cunard soon. Xx

The simplification of locations described by another nearby (or nowhere near), more famous or familiar town or city has always happened in travel and is not exclusive to cruising. Airports are often located miles away from the stated city. Budget airlines quite often take you to a completely unknown airport for less money. I wonder how far away the longest distance is in this misleading but helpful to some issue is.

Regards John

The simplification of locations described by another nearby (or nowhere near), more famous or familiar town or city has always happened in travel and is not exclusive to cruising. Airports are often located miles away from the stated city. Budget airlines quite often take you to a completely unknown airport for less money. I wonder how far away the longest distance is in this misleading but helpful to some issue is.

Regards John

There are probably longer distances than this, but the longest I've seen from a cruise I have been on is "Berlin (Warnemünde)" at about 240 km and at least 2.5 hours travel time each way.

There are probably longer distances than this, but the longest I've seen from a cruise I have been on is "Berlin (Warnemünde)" at about 240 km and at least 2.5 hours travel time each way.

Paris (Le Havre) is a similar distance, perhaps very slightly less

But Brooklyn is a suburb of NY City and a one way fare is only $2.75 by ferry or Subway.

Brooklyn is not a suburb of NY City, It is one of the 5 Boroughs of NY City. The suburbs would be located beyond NY City in New Jersey,Connecticut,Long Island and Upstate New York. Regards,Jerry

Brooklyn is a borough of New York city, just like Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens or The Bronx.

1211px-5_Boroughs_Labels_New_York_City_Map.svg.png

Brooklyn is not a suburb of NY City, It is one of the 5 Boroughs of NY City. The suburbs would be located beyond NY City in New Jersey,Connecticut,Long Island and Upstate New York. Regards,Jerry

With apologies , for not knowing my Boroughs from my Suburbs

However whether its a Borough or a Suburb it is not that far from New York .

Some definitions of suburbs regard them as residential areas or mixed use areas being part of a city or urban area. It is therefore possible to that a borough could be a suburb. Some people regard suburbs as residential areas around a city. A journey from London to New York could also be referring to New York as the state and take you to a location a long way from the city.

Regards John

Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people? After all the president just seemed to learn that Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by big water and salt water at that!

You're spot on, Frank !!!

Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people? After all the president just seemed to learn that Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by big water and salt water at that!

once while crossing the Bay of Biscay we sat next to an American couple from Montana in the Lido on QV, the wife remarked that the Mediterranean is rough today, we had come from the Med, I gently remarked that we were in the Bay and had been in the Atlantic for 24+ hours. She seemed most surprised.

With apologies , for not knowing my Boroughs from my Suburbs

However whether its a Borough or a Suburb it is not that far from New York .

Actually Brooklyn is part of the City of New York. Where I live in Northern New Jersey it is a small town that is also known as a suburb. Regards,Jerry

I'm sorry Salacia is no longer with us to explain that Manhattan Island does not equal New York.

Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.

Guest SilverHengroen
Ah but most tourists relate Manhattan as New York, not like tourists to UK where London is not Southampton they are two completely different Cities about 79 miles apart.

Hopefully they might allow this new ship to be registered in the city for at least a while, the cunarders from QE2 were good ambassadors for the city globally.

Well, Tom, I have to agree with you. It is sad, but what do you expect from the marketing department when they have to appeal to geographically challenged people?

Years ago I went skiing in Vale. I can still remember an American lady telling me that she'd only just learned that Scotland was not a part of England !

Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.

Cunard calling the port of Southampton as an arrival in "London" is a piker compared to the airline industry. How many fly "to New York" via JFK airport? According to Wikipedia,"JFK is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica in the New York City borough of Queens, 10 miles (20 km) southeast of Midtown Manhattan."

Truth in advertising would require that tickets read Queens, New York, United States.

Or worse...Flying to "New York" and arriving in Newark......:eek:;p

Or flying to Crawley, West Sussex.....Oh wait, that is London (Gatwick).

OK...has anyone flown into Cincinnati, Ohio? Probably not, as nearly all Cincinnati bound commercial flights land at Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) which is in Boone County, Kentucky. Even though it's in Boone County, Kentucky it is owned by the good citizens of Kenton County, Kentucky, several miles away. And the airport code CVG is short for Covington, Kentucky which is one of the two county seats of Kenton County; the other one is Independence, Kentucky. Two county seats in one county dates back to the time when it would have been impossible for many of its citizens to have made a one day journey into the county seat for official matters. Now aren't you glad you read this?

“Say, where are you folks from” ——“We live in Cheshire, not far from Liverpool” ——Blank look. Reminder to self, next time say near London.

David.

I actually get this working in London. I'm not making this up, but about 2 weeks ago someone I work with in London asked me where I'd traveled from this morning. Chester I said. And he replied "Is that near Chesterfield ?"

So don't just mock the Americans, people from London are just as bad !

Having a reasonably successful Premier League football (soccer) team can help some of the more geographically challenged people. I'm originally from Hull (north coast of England) and no one has ever heard of us until we managed to get the local team promoted and then suddenly people became more aware of Hull. Now I live in Manchester - not a huge problem with location now - unless of course the person you are talking to doesn't follow the game!!!

• 3 months later...

On Q.V. at the moment. Tonight is roaring 20s evening. There is zero interest in this event. So much so I have gone back to the cabin to change. People on this website who v

Continuously promote formal dress as the norm are either not regular cruisers or are living in a different world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums