LIVE From the Caribbean Princess - New Panama Canal - Dec 10, 2017

CanadianBurger

Wow, great review with pics. Thanks for taking the time to post all the great photos. Did you notice any real difference with speed; you mentioned the ship travels 2 knots slower than before. Thanks

Didn’t notice anything in terms of feeling, but the 10% loss in speed meant altered port times which were communicated by Princess in an email before sailing.

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Forums

ok, i'll bite, literally - what exactly does a parmesan basket consist of? -

Melted Parmesan moulded into a bowl containing the fettuccine alfredo. See my pics. It’s really tasty, but there was so much waste that they stopped making them. Some chefs will still make them by special request, but I’ve been told no on some ships. If you order one, make sure you eat it!

I had the parmesan basket in July; so it is still available

We were surprised to see the Parmesan basket gone during our last cruise, but then found out you could request it and they would "attempt" to accommodate the request. I'm pretty sure that they will make every effort to provide it when requested.:D

Melted Parmesan moulded into a bowl containing the fettuccine alfredo. See my pics. It’s really tasty, but there was so much waste that they stopped making them. Some chefs will still make them by special request, but I’ve been told no on some ships. If you order one, make sure you eat it!

Do you have to order it a day in advance or just ask your waiter when ordering?

Thanks

Thank you so much for the excellent live review. We thoroughly enjoyed it. We know how much time you put into this and it’s so appreciated. We were debating whether or not we wanted to go on the Caribbean Princess this coming May and your review made our decision and we booked. This cruise will be our first cruise as Elite and we are so excited. Your review has added to our excitement. Thank you!

Love them and the last time I asked it was for an appetizer portion and I was actually surprised that the accommodated me. I love the Fettuccine Alfredo and the Parmesan bowl but the appetizer size is best for me and then I an order a different main course. It doesn't hurt to ask but please don't be mean to the server if your request isn't granted. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a remarkable review. Our cruise is now less than a year away. Your photos of your canal excursion were great, but could you please provide your overall impressions of the excursion? Good/bad? Any problems or not? Worth the long day?

Again, thanks for a great review. Happy New Year!

Mike & Cindy

The key is knowing how the elevators are oriented.

When the elevator arrives at your floor and the door opens, look out and-----

if you see a wall then you are facing forward and starboard will be to your right, but if you are using the amidships elevators

if you see an elevator to the right of a doorway to a hall you are on the port side facing the starboard side, but

if you see an elevator to the left of a doorway to a hall you are on the starboard side facing the port side, but

if you can remember these tips after leaving Crooners you left too soon.

I got your joke. That was funny!!!

Learned a few things about the CB’s propulsion issues after talking to officers today: there is an electrical problem with the motors driving one of the propellers, resulting in a reduced maximum RPM of the propeller shaft. The other side must also be reduced in RPM to match, so the effective reduction in speed is approximately two knots. This is not an easy repair, so the CB will be going back into drydock in May 2019, earlier than originally scheduled, for repairs. This will be an extended drydock, lasting about 30 days.

Another thread was talking about AC and plumbing/flushing issues. Do you have any info on either?

Another thread was talking about AC and plumbing/flushing issues. Do you have any info on either?

We had no issues with AC or plumbing/flushing problems in our cabin. Sometimes you had to let the cold water run a while before it wasn’t warm.

That said, I did notice a slight sewage smell in the hallway along Dolphin deck at some places. Interestingly I noticed the same smell the last time we were on the CB in December 2014, though it was nowhere near as bad this time.

Thank you so very much for taking all of us along for the cruise.

Your pictures and reviews answered so many of my questions..

So looking forward to my turn in Feb.

Again thank you and your wife for her wifi minutes..

Nope, they must be pre-made, as the flavors on the sign are the only ones available.

They are pre-made. DH had one on our ta last fall. It had obviously been thawed and refrozen as it was encased in ice. I tried to talk him into returning it, but he wouldn’t do it.

Didn’t notice anything in terms of feeling, but the 10% loss in speed meant altered port times which were communicated by Princess in an email before sailing.

How far in advance did Princess communicate the altered port times? Did you have to make any changes to pre-booked excursions?

How far in advance did Princess communicate the altered port times? Did you have to make any changes to pre-booked excursions?

It was quite a few months ahead of time, while she was still in Europe.

We had Princess tours booked in the affected ports, and those times were eventually automatically altered. My private excursion in Grand Cayman wasn’t affected.

I am looking through excursions for our Panama Canal trip and have a questions. Some suggests jeans if doing the rain forest ziplines etc. but the pictures I see, many people have shorts on. Would you suggest jeans for these excursions. I see you did the tram and zip line.

Thanks

Vicki

I asked when we came up. It’s $275/single or $540/couple for the entire cruise.

Our single afternoon reservation was $20pp.

So they are now taking reservations at the Sanctuary for only specific days on the first day? I recall you had to go up and check if room was available each day or buy the entire cruise. Clarification please. BTW very lovely and informative live. Thank you.