gym to room after 6pm in gym clothes without the wrath of the dress code pack?

Bobtails12

I just finished a two week cruise on the Ovation. On a number of days I finished working out in the gym after 6:00 PM and went to the Observation Bar to pick up the special cocktail of the day for my wife while still in the gym clothes and never felt it was a problem. I would not worry about it at all.

Can you tell me about the gym? What type of classes are there? Do they have spin bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I admit I have been quite focused on standards of dress on Seabourn since

I started seeing people plop down in the Observation Bar after 6:00 pm in their sweaty gym wear completely oblivious to their surroundings: a beautiful place with women dressed for the evening of elegance and refinement and men dressed as if they know they are on a 5 star cruise. That’s how you show respect for community standards at a fine hotel, isn’t it.

Seeing someone foisting the “me first and always” attitude is sadly all too common today. It belongs on a mass market fun ship with a few thousand like minded people. Spare Seabourn for those who worked hard for their money, appreciate elegance (especially after 6:00 pm in the bar, lounge and restaurant public rooms), and show in their behavior that tradition still matters. I mean really... is that too much to ask of anyone?

Happy and healthy sailing!

I started seeing people plop down in the Observation Bar after 6:00 pm in their sweaty gym wear completely oblivious to their surroundings: a beautiful place with women dressed for the evening of elegance and refinement and men dressed as if they know they are on a 5 star cruise. That’s how you show respect for community standards at a fine hotel, isn’t it.

Seeing someone foisting the “me first and always” attitude is sadly all too common today. It belongs on a mass market fun ship with a few thousand like minded people. Spare Seabourn for those who worked hard for their money, appreciate elegance (especially after 6:00 pm in the bar, lounge and restaurant public rooms), and show in their behavior that tradition still matters. I mean really... is that too much to ask of anyone?

+1 agree totally Markham,

But,

Not just after 6pm.

My wife and were enjoying a lovely breakfast in Encore's Colonade last August when a couple came and sat down at the table next to us, both were in sweat-soaked gym gear and they smelt to high heaven !

We quickly finished what we were eating and moved to another table, the Maitre D' came over and asked us if there was a problem, so I told him what had happened, he apologised and said that they must have slipped past him, he then went over and had a quiet word and they left the restaurant.

Luckily we did not see a repeat performance.

In my experience the success of such a move, as in the above, is to get the message across by one of the staff and not to do it yourself as a guest.

Most people will be prepared to toe the line. We have it at our local Club where the use of cellphones is forbidden. If I told someone they were breaking the rules I would expect to get an insult back and be told it was none of my business. If one of our porters tells them they accept the censure without challenge.

Yes, you will find a few of the "I am not going to be told what to wear" brigade on Cruise Critic but on a cruise most dress inappropriately out of ignorance. That includes those who mooch around in their dressing gowns. Ignorance rather than a misconceived desire to prove a point.

Tony

+1 agree totally Markham,

But,

Not just after 6pm.

My wife and were enjoying a lovely breakfast in Encore's Colonade last August when a couple came and sat down at the table next to us, both were in sweat-soaked gym gear and they smelt to high heaven !

We quickly finished what we were eating and moved to another table, the Maitre D' came over and asked us if there was a problem, so I told him what had happened, he apologised and said that they must have slipped past him, he then went over and had a quiet word and they left the restaurant.

Luckily we did not see a repeat performance.

Edit - I was wondering where this line of response had come from. See it now.

Edited by Pavovsky

I just finished a two week cruise on the Ovation. On a number of days I finished working out in the gym after 6:00 PM and went to the Observation Bar to pick up the special cocktail of the day for my wife while still in the gym clothes and never felt it was a problem. I would not worry about it at all.

thanks empty nester - good to know i can pick up water or a glass of something on way back to cabin without the wrath....

i totally agree with you on people wearing sweaty clothes in seats in public areas - personally on the way back from a hotel/ ship gym to my cabin i put a towel around my neck and shoulders so anyone passing in hallway does not catch on sweaty arms.

i also think it very unhygienic to sit on couches chairs in sweaty clothes- even in gyms you sanitise equipment before and after and put a towel between you and yoga mat.

i was in the gym recently in a very nice hotel in vienna and after showering went to breakfast only to find the two sweaty blondes who were next to me in the gym sitting in gym clothes on cloth couches( yuck) in hotel breakfast room- which was a rooftop trendy bar area in a few hours - some people just don't care about hygiene.

however i assume you don't have a problem with someone passing you in the hallway after 6pm on way to cabin/ gym - otherwise ships would have to close gyms at 5.45pm.

No worries from me when gym users use corridors for what they are intended to be used for.

Further, a good example of where everyone seems happy night and day is around the Sky Bar, another great Seabourn “event”. There you have all sorts of dress, walkers walking and gym users heading back to or forward to their cabins. I reserved my remarks for the Obs Bar, the Grand Salon, The Club and the restaurants where gym clothing would be out of place, if not to the oblivious wearer, then to everyone else.

Just a reminder but when leaving the gym you have to pass both the Patio bar and Sky bar before you reach the Observation bar.:halo:

i am on 6 so can you not go down the stairs next to the gym to six and then its only passing by front of theatre.

at this stage i feel i need some mission impossible music downloaded to do the transfer....:)

i am on 6 so can you not go down the stairs next to the gym to six and then its only passing by front of theatre.

at this stage i feel i need some mission impossible music downloaded to do the transfer....:)

No worries. You'll be the only one using the stairs. :D

Stairs down to grand salon, swift walk through lift/elevator area, do not make eye contact with anyone, bypass staircase, onto deck 6 suites corridor. Move along purposefully with a grim, determined expression. Again, don't make eye contact with anyone. ;) Not even SB's lovely suite stewardesses who will be busy doing evening turndown service at that time.

Of course, if you're forward deck 6 then the you do have the option of passing Patio bar en route to the forward staircase.

As an aside, in the days when I used to use the gym they had lots of small bottles of water available. Not sure if they still do, I'm sure a current gym user can chime in.

Edited to add - this route is based on the O class ship layout. No idea about the two huge new ones.

Edited by Isklaar

Yes you absolutely can. The prior reply indicated if you need to stop at a bar you can go to one of the outside ones on your way back to your suite. But you can go directly from the gym down the stairs to your floor.

No worries. You'll be the only one using the stairs. :D

Stairs down to grand salon, swift walk through lift/elevator area, do not make eye contact with anyone, bypass staircase, onto deck 6 suites corridor. Move along purposefully with a grim, determined expression. Again, don't make eye contact with anyone. ;) Not even SB's lovely suite stewardesses who will be busy doing evening turndown service at that time.

Of course, if you're forward deck 6 then the you do have the option of passing Patio bar en route to the forward staircase.

As an aside, in the days when I used to use the gym they had lots of small bottles of water

available. Not sure if they still do, I'm sure a current gym user can chime in.

thanks all

so best way is wear sunglasses even after dark for no eye contact - use a wig - and maybe an accent????....maybe russian...with a hint of spending time in qatar? and of course ....seems straightforward enough.

funnily enough on the way back in after an evening workout is always when the stewardess/ housekeeping staff always want to know how your day was etc - and i am dripping in hallway dying for shower - glass of wine and to be get dressed for dinner.....

my rule on stairs is must be used for whole cruise - only allow lifts on first day with bags and last day with bags......am always fascinated with people using gym then getting lift 1 or 2 floors - usually going down.

my rule on stairs is must be used for whole cruise - only allow lifts on first day with bags and last day with bags......am always fascinated with people using gym then getting lift 1 or 2 floors - usually going down.

We have the same rule, unless I'm in heels. But since I almost never pack heels these days, stairs it is!

Thanks for input on the caviar - I won't worry about it if we don't experience it but will be excited if we do.

And I might even hit the gym. But it will be in the morning ;p

I use the stairs too. The main staircase (circular on the deck plans) does get a lot of use, but the other staircases next to the lifts/elevators forward and aft don't see much footfall at all.

I'd recommend horse blinkers over sunglasses for furtive gym expeditions.

That sounds like a good premise for a comedy video or some memes.

I use the stairs too. The main staircase (circular on the deck plans) does get a lot of use, but the other staircases next to the lifts/elevators forward and aft don't see much footfall at all.

I'd recommend horse blinkers over sunglasses for furtive gym expeditions.

yes but i like to match - so if i wore the blinkers i'd want to wear the saddle and the whip- and that might give out a mixed message to the fifty shades of grey meeting group...:) and would blinkers be smart casual or formal?

it reminds me of previous jumbo ship cruise where i ordered a bells and whistles smoke and light show drink- went to the bathroom thinking it would be ages - came back and my partner was being chatted up by a fellow passenger - i never read the daily bulletin outside of onshore offshore times etc - and music times - so hadn't realised this bar was a single and mingle meeting point every night.

so every night when i left them there with a fancy drink on order- some nice passenger would use the fancy smoked mirror drink as a starting point for conversation - was about 5 days before I discovered i was leaving them in the singles party...:)

i just thought god they must be looking well- they're getting loads of random attention....

Smart casual for plain ones. Formal for ones bedecked with Swarovski (sp) crystals.

Seriously, I hope this thread has put your mind at rest.

It's been good to have fun on a dress code type thread.

Smart casual for plain ones. Formal for ones bedecked with Swarovski (sp) crystals.

Seriously, I hope this thread has put your mind at rest.

It's been good to have fun on a dress code type thread.

can't talk....busy on amazon trying to buy a glue gun and crystals ....can't you make everything formal with crystals :)

solves all my problems.

reminds me of another cruise with typo in sign by dining room ..." ladies must wear skirt with a top that compliments it" had images of blouses being extra nice and saying lovely things to skirts....

Can you tell me about the gym? What type of classes are there? Do they have spin bikes?

I tried to upload some pictures. They do not have spin bikes. The classes were more like movement and things like that but I did not really pay attention to that. 8 treadmills. About 6 bikes (3 regular and 3 recumbent) and 4 elliptical. About 6 or 7 technogym machines for various body parts and a multi-functional machines. Also dumbells etc. They do not have any equipment I use with my trainer at home like exercise balls, resistance bands etc. It is located in the spa on the stern of deck 10 with great views. Each cardio station has a tv and they supply headphones. It is interesting that there is only 1 scale on board that has to be shared between the men's and ladies changing rooms. It was never crowded. I usually went in late afternoon so I do not know how it was in the morning. Have a great trip.

No worries from me when gym users use corridors for what they are intended to be used for.

Further, a good example of where everyone seems happy night and day is around the Sky Bar, another great Seabourn “event”. There you have all sorts of dress, walkers walking and gym users heading back to or forward to their cabins. I reserved my remarks for the Obs Bar, the Grand Salon, The Club and the restaurants where gym clothing would be out of place, if not to the oblivious wearer, then to everyone else.

Agree with you Markham. I stopped at the Sky Bar for my fizzy water after my workout, and never considered any other public areas until after I have showered and changed.