Questions about Majestic Princess

LizSydney

I've been looking at the deck plans for the Majestic Princess as I'm booked on it in September from Sydney to NZ roundtrip.

I've previously been on the Diamond and the Emerald Princess ships which I absolutely loved.

I tended to either hang out on the promenade deck, Movies under the stars, the gym, do public karaoke in one of the bars and had a few drinks at one of the bars on the sun deck.

I've read that the Majestic doesn't have as many bars. I don't mind so much about the indoor bars as I tend to prefer to be outside, but is the lack of bars noticeable to someone who gets drinks outside?

Should I rebook onto the Sun Princess if it has availability?

What's the food like on the Majestic Princess? Is it all Asian food or are there options for Australians similar to the menus on other ships?

The Majestic has been charted to some tourist agency in China for some time now so most reviews of the food will be out of date.

It is available for cruises to the general public for this February and March so hopefully we will get so more up to date opinions of the ship here on Cruisecritic.

Just remember the Sun Princess while a nice ship is a completely difference class of ship to the Emerald and Diamond. It does have a wide promenade like the Diamond though , wide enough for the lay down sun lounges.

The Sun is a smaller ship and carries less passengers and therefore tends to be faster to get off the ship in ports. But smaller does means less lounges. It may depend on how much time you will spend on land to how much time you will spend on the ship.

This is just my opinion and other people will have lots of different ideas to me. :)

We sailed on the majestic last spring before it went to China and loved it. It became our new favorite ship. Did the royal last month and being the same class it was equally nice. The public spaces are larger and better laid out IMO and the buffet www far better than others we've sailed on including the Emerald, Ruby, Diamond, Island and Caribbean.

We sailed on the majestic last spring before it went to China and loved it. It became our new favorite ship. Did the royal last month and being the same class it was equally nice. The public spaces are larger and better laid out IMO and the buffet www far better than others we've sailed on including the Emerald, Ruby, Diamond, Island and Caribbean.

What type of food was there on it? Have you sailed on the Sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The food on Majestic when she arrives down here will be exactly the same as you'll get on Sun and every other ship in the fleet. She currently does have a couple of different speciality restaurants though - French and Chinese which might be a nice change.

We were on Royal last September and heard a rumour that they might be upping the number of bars when Majestic comes down here. The Royal class ships are lovely and I, for one, am really looking forward to trying Majestic.

I suggest you read this thread, which has plenty of great photos of Majestic. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480969

The food on Majestic when she arrives down here will be exactly the same as you'll get on Sun and every other ship in the fleet. She currently does have a couple of different speciality restaurants though - French and Chinese which might be a nice change.

We were on Royal last September and heard a rumour that they might be upping the number of bars when Majestic comes down here. The Royal class ships are lovely and I, for one, am really looking forward to trying Majestic.

I suggest you read this thread, which has plenty of great photos of Majestic. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480969

Thanks for the link to that thread. As I suspected it is going to be too Asian for my liking. As you’ve said in the other thread we’re not fans of gambling or shopping downunder. The lack of bars, a promenade walking deck, western food and the lounges is a deal breaker for me.

I was excited about going on a new ship but it’s as if they’ve completely disregarded western travellers so I’ll be changing my booking to the Sun.

As others said, it’s a great ship but I don’t like the idea of how they’ve removed public spaces in favour of small private spaces. That doesn’t appeal to me. I’d rather have public karaoke and public lounges than private karaoke and private rooms.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the karaoke rooms but they aren't even showing on the latest deck plans. I suspect the VIP gaming area might get turned into Club 6 like on Royal. The mahjong tables in the Vista Lounge will probably be removed and then it will be the same as all the other Vista Lounges. MUTS is still there but there is now an indoor pool and a closed-in lounge at the bow which will be great for NZ itineraries. Believe me, sitting right up high forward in a cosy lounge during sailaway from the various NZ ports is pure magic.

Remember Sun was also Asianised for the Japanese market, hence Kai Seafood.

Seriously, I love Sun but I was very impressed with Royal and expect Majestic to be just as good. And, no, they didn't disregard western cruisers. Majestic was totally designed for the Chinese market, which didn't turn out as good as they expected. However they know what is required in Australia and I am sure they will adapt Majestic to suit our needs.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the karaoke rooms but they aren't even showing on the latest deck plans. I suspect the VIP gaming area might get turned into Club 6 like on Royal. The mahjong tables in the Vista Lounge will probably be removed and then it will be the same as all the other Vista Lounges. MUTS is still there but there is now an indoor pool and a closed-in lounge at the bow which will be great for NZ itineraries.

Seriously, I love Sun but I was very impressed with Royal and expect Majestic to be just as good. And, no, they didn't disregard western cruisers. Majestic was totally designed for the Chinese market, which didn't turn out as good as they expected. However they know what is required in Australia and I am sure they will adapt Majestic to suit our needs.

There was also an enclosed area on the Diamond Princess so that doesn’t bother me. There seem to be fewer pools and the layout of the open spaces seems to be a bit strange and the upper decks look crowded compared to on other Princess ships.

I hope you’re right that changes will be made to suit the Australian market but until at least one Australian season has passed I’d rather stick to the current ships.

Just an update. I actually found a video on YouTube of the ship and the video was really helpful and completely allayed all of my reservations that the ship wouldn't be good. It's actually more luxurious in many areas and even though there are fewer bars, the bars are now much bigger than on the Emerald and Diamond. Now I just have to decide if I reschedule my NZ cruise for March and book on this ship for later in the year to another destination (Fiji).

This is the video for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for the link to that thread. As I suspected it is going to be too Asian for my liking. As you’ve said in the other thread we’re not fans of gambling or shopping downunder. The lack of bars, a promenade walking deck, western food and the lounges is a deal breaker for me.

I was excited about going on a new ship but it’s as if they’ve completely disregarded western travellers so I’ll be changing my booking to the Sun.

As others said, it’s a great ship but I don’t like the idea of how they’ve removed public spaces in favour of small private spaces. That doesn’t appeal to me. I’d rather have public karaoke and public lounges than private karaoke and private rooms.

The Majestic will be just like the Regal and Royal when it gets to Australia....we have sailed all three Royal class ships and also are booked on the Sky Princess next year (they are by far our favorites!!).....I am not sure where you get the "too Asian" idea just because it was sent to China for a year. We love the Royal class ships and find them way more spacious, dining spaces more enjoyable and love that they have 24 hour fitness facilities.....all the spaces on the Majestic that were used for the Chinese market will be easily converted to other uses that are more traditional on other Royal class Princess ships for Westerners......:cool:

The Majestic will be just like the Regal and Royal when it gets to Australia....we have sailed all three Royal class ships and also are booked on the Sky Princess next year (they are by far our favorites!!).....I am not sure where you get the "too Asian" idea just because it was sent to China for a year. We love the Royal class ships and find them way more spacious, dining spaces more enjoyable and love that they have 24 hour fitness facilities.....all the spaces on the Majestic that were used for the Chinese market will be easily converted to other uses that are more traditional on other Royal class Princess ships for Westerners......:cool:

I'd made the mistake of trusting reviews from people who had been on the ship. These were reviews online. I should've known better than to believe the reviews as the video I watched makes the ship look incredible (and no it wasn't the Princess Cruises marketing video).

I haven't been on the Royal or the Regal as they don't come downunder so I'm not sure what they're like. Some of the reviews I'd read were really scathing of the ship, and yes, I should know better that some people will always whinge no matter what ship they're on. I'd read bad reviews about the Diamond and Emerald and I found them great.

I also hope the Sky comes down under as well in the 2019/2020 season.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the karaoke rooms but they aren't even showing on the latest deck plans. I suspect the VIP gaming area might get turned into Club 6 like on Royal. The mahjong tables in the Vista Lounge will probably be removed and then it will be the same as all the other Vista Lounges. MUTS is still there but there is now an indoor pool and a closed-in lounge at the bow which will be great for NZ itineraries. Believe me, sitting right up high forward in a cosy lounge during sailaway from the various NZ ports is pure magic.

Is it possible to post the latest deck plans or provide a link to them? It might help those of us who have an upcoming reservation on the Majestic Princess.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the karaoke rooms but they aren't even showing on the latest deck plans.

The Sing on the Sea Karaoke suites are still on the deck plans on the Princess website we see from the UK. They are on deck 5 next to the Lotus Spa. We used them on our preview cruise - see our blog post with pics from last year. We loved Majestic Princess.

Sandra

I spent 21 days on Majestic, left her in Shaghai on July 9th and when I read that u were gng to change to the Sun...I began to post, but stopped and decided to read the rest of the posts, u are making the correct decision.

Honestly...why would one not want to travel on a new ship.

Let me see if I can dig up some of my past posts. I loved Majestic.....

I spent 21 days on Majestic, left her in Shaghai on July 9th and when I read that u were gng to change to the Sun...I began to post, but stopped and decided to read the rest of the posts, u are making the correct decision.

Honestly...why would one not want to travel on a new ship.

Let me see if I can dig up some of my past posts. I loved Majestic.....

Yeah the Majestic actually looks pretty amazing based on the video I watched last night. I can’t get the leave off work in March either so couldn’t take the Sun anyway. I’m likely to take a short local cruise on the Sun in April to get my fix but yeah reviews aren’t necessarily true.

My favorite area to relax on the ship was the Hollywood Pool Club(Sanctuary)....nice bar, covered pool and separate rooms with lounges and fans. On our sailing even the areas(rooms) that should have been for rent were opened to everyone.

The Karaoke Suites, seemed to have no business on our sailing, but make sure to request a tour, interesting to check out.

Fantastic Journey is unique to Majestic and what a amazing production. Not to be missed....It featured 180 degree visuals around the theater, drones(yes, they r flying) and state of the art video mapping.

This is one post I made ..I wanted to tell you about the Karaoke suites.......they are awesome...we did not rent one but they are state of the art and if we would have had the time we would have spent some time in one.

The Sing on the Sea Karaoke suites are still on the deck plans on the Princess website we see from the UK. They are on deck 5 next to the Lotus Spa. We used them on our preview cruise - see our blog post with pics from last year. We loved Majestic Princess.

Sandra

took a glimpse... loved your blog brought back memories of the ship, I'll have to check it out again.