More bad news on Sea Princess

All passengers on affected itineraries are receiving obc as compensation. Problem is, after making several calls to them on behalf of unhappy clients, they are pulling out the T&Cs and stating that they reserve the right to change the itineraries at any time. Plus they haven't been particularly forthcoming with the email notifications regarding the changes. Really, they should cancel a cruise, put her in dry dock and get it fixed ASAP. She's meant to be doing the World Cruise next year. They need to get it sorted properly!

Yes they can change a cruise itinerary within reason but it seems in this case they may well have gone "beyond" reasonable.

Cheers

Di

All passengers on affected itineraries are receiving obc as compensation. Problem is, after making several calls to them on behalf of unhappy clients, they are pulling out the T&Cs and stating that they reserve the right to change the itineraries at any time. Plus they haven't been particularly forthcoming with the email notifications regarding the changes. Really, they should cancel a cruise, put her in dry dock and get it fixed ASAP. She's meant to be doing the World Cruise next year. They need to get it sorted properly!

I'm glad you confirmed that. As posted earlier, I expected there to be that.

However, given the breadth of the reported changes, it would still be reasonable to allow people to cancel without penalty. Unfortunately it is true what they have in the terms and conditions so they have the law on their side, which means Fair trading can't do much except if Princess volunteer for "goodwill"... doesn't make it right though.

I'm glad you confirmed that. As posted earlier, I expected there to be that.

However, given the breadth of the reported changes, it would still be reasonable to allow people to cancel without penalty. Unfortunately it is true what they have in the terms and conditions so they have the law on their side, which means Fair trading can't do much except if Princess volunteer for "goodwill"... doesn't make it right though.

I completely agree with you. If I'd chosen an itinerary due to a particular port, I'd be so angry about it too.

Of course before I threaded this I e-mailed Princess direct and asked for their input but as yet have not had an acknowledgement nor a reply. I have also put this non the main Princess site

You might like to phone Office of Fair Trading for advice.

Their advice to me was to put my complaint to the company in writing, by registered mail. As a result I got an immediate phone call, with a satisfactory result, after months of non negotiation.

As Dizziedi said, the test is "reasonableness". No ordinary person would consider this new changed itinerary reasonable. It is not what you bought!

I agree being after final payment is irrelevant, in this case.

Might also help to get some bad publicity for Princess's actions and lack of customer service in the Press.

Good Luck.

You might like to phone Office of Fair Trading for advice.

Their advice to me was to put my complaint to the company in writing, by registered mail. As a result I got an immediate phone call, with a satisfactory result, after months of non negotiation.

As Dizziedi said, the test is "reasonableness". No ordinary person would consider this new changed itinerary reasonable. It is not what you bought!

I agree being after final payment is irrelevant, in this case.

Might also help to get some bad publicity for Princess's actions and lack of customer service in the Press.

Good Luck.

Seems like the coarse of action is to put up with the changes and the obc they offered or to cancel via the method used by MMDown Under and suggested by Dizzdi. personally, I would try the later as the cruise that you booked has been changed significantly. I wish you good luck Wondsor26.:D

I am absolutely horrified by Princess's actions over all of this. The cheek of taking on passengers and holding them in Singapore for 3 days while the ship is in the "garage" for repairs?

OUTRAGEOUS.

If passengers wanted 3 days in Singapore they would have booked a cruise and added on a pre/post cruise stay.

With such a change to the itinerary, anyone who wants to cancel, as they are not getting what was offered at booking , should be refunded in full. Also any non refundable deposit held by the agents should be refunded in full and if need be the agents can chase Princess for it.

I am glad MMdownunder goy the result required

I will still go on the cruise as it was booked in order that DH would not have to cook and shop etc as I will be incapacitated from hand surgery for 6 weeks.

I am cross that I picked this cruise when at the time I could have had a choice of others now it is really too late

Apart from using Singapore as a garaqe and sticking us in one of the most expensive ports for 3 days they are also hoping that in the 6t sea days we will spend the money given.

I hope the DC will have a good programme of extra daytime FREE entertainment there are only so many jewellery and fine art seminars and etc you would want to attend

I am glad MMdownunder goy the result required

I will still go on the cruise as it was booked in order that DH would not have to cook and shop etc as I will be incapacitated from hand surgery for 6 weeks.

I am cross that I picked this cruise when at the time I could have had a choice of others now it is really too late

Apart from using Singapore as a garaqe and sticking us in one of the most expensive ports for 3 days they are also hoping that in the 6t sea days we will spend the money given.

I hope the DC will have a good programme of extra daytime FREE entertainment there are only so many jewellery and fine art seminars and etc you would want to attend

i have a 2013-14 princess book and on page 63 under ship & itinerary changes it states

we will notifiy you of any changes as soon as we can. where we cancel a cruise or make a significant change to your ports in your itinerary prior to your departure you will have the choice of

1. the new itinerary

2. an alternative cruise of a comparable standard if available or

3. cancelling the cruise for a full refund

it goes on to say also if the cruise has commenced and they change the itinerary for any reason they dont have to give compensation

i would think that your option would be number 2

It's also clause 28 of the Booking & Passage Conditions online.

It qualifies "significant change" with

"For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary."

So they might have wiggle room there, unfortunately. :(

Makes you wonder about the other ships in that class too. Are they likely to develop similar problems? We're booked on Sun Princess for Christmas.

It's also clause 28 of the Booking & Passage Conditions online.

It qualifies "significant change" with

"For the purposes of this clause, 'significant change' means a change to the city of departure or disembarkation, or to the majority (by number) of the other ports in your itinerary."......it still says the other ports getting changed

So they might have wiggle room there, unfortunately. :(

Makes you wonder about the other ships in that class too. Are they likely to develop similar problems? We're booked on Sun Princess for Christmas.

still be worth a phone call to Fair Trading and see what they say

Any ship can break down. Aurora embarked a full ship load of passengers and supplies for a World Cruise from Southampton one year and only got as far as the Isle of Wight. Passengers stayed on board for 3 days and then the entire cruise was cancelled and they were all sent home....(very well compensated).... and the supplies off loaded , and sent to local charities.The ship then went to Germany for a complete engine replacement. A few years later she broke down again, this time on her World Cruise and spent 6 days in Auckland while spares were sent out and repairs carried out.

still be worth a phone call to Fair Trading and see what they say

Absolutely!

I'm appalled by the way Princess have handled this issue.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't really taken off in the social media, I had to really search to find a mention of it on Facebook.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Absolutely!

I'm appalled by the way Princess have handled this issue.

Unfortunately the problem hasn't really taken off in the social media, I had to really search to find a mention of it on Facebook.

i've seen it posted on facebook but not sure if the mods responded

I've posted a couple of posts on FB to try and raise the social media profile about the problem. Problem is if it was a cruise out of the U S of A I wonder if Princess would treat customers with so little respect.

I think they could at least offer some sort of compensation.

Like some OBC to those who want to stay on the ship with the limited itinerary

Or offer to rebook on another cruise.

I've posted a couple of posts on FB to try and raise the social media profile about the problem. Problem is if it was a cruise out of the U S of A I wonder if Princess would treat customers with so little respect.

I think they could at least offer some sort of compensation.

Like some OBC to those who want to stay on the ship with the limited itinerary

Or offer to rebook on another cruise.

Princess are offering OBC and cancellation on some of the cruises - however you (the customer) have to contact them - they are not "reaching out" (as described on facebook) to customers. They are looking at each request from a case by case perspective. Princess are doing NOTHING unless it's instigated by the customer. They won't explain when they think the ship will be fixed, what excursions will be offered, even though they sent out a generic email advising that excursions were available to book, however only for 3 of the 6 ports we now visit are offering excursions.

If we cancel the cruise we do not get money back for lost airfares and accommodation. This is not covered by insurance as technically the cruise has not been cancelled. So from a customer perspective it's a lose / lose situation.

Princess were continuing to advertise and sell the 16 night cruise we booked with the itinerary we booked even after they had sent out an email advising the decimation of our cruise.

Princess please listen to you customers - that's if you want them to continue to be your customer and advise what's going on and when the ship will be fixed.

Princess are offering OBC and cancellation on some of the cruises - however you (the customer) have to contact them - they are not "reaching out" (as described on facebook) to customers. They are looking at each request from a case by case perspective. Princess are doing NOTHING unless it's instigated by the customer. They won't explain when they think the ship will be fixed, what excursions will be offered, even though they sent out a generic email advising that excursions were available to book, however only for 3 of the 6 ports we now visit are offering excursions.

If we cancel the cruise we do not get money back for lost airfares and accommodation. This is not covered by insurance as technically the cruise has not been cancelled. So from a customer perspective it's a lose / lose situation.

Princess were continuing to advertise and sell the 16 night cruise we booked with the itinerary we booked even after they had sent out an email advising the decimation of our cruise.

Princess please listen to you customers - that's if you want them to continue to be your customer and advise what's going on and when the ship will be fixed.

These actions by Princess are bordering as being fraud.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

...and what happens when its in Singapore and they find 3 days is not enough?

When Aurora broke down in Auckland they kept saying that they would be sailing the next day......that went on for 6 days. If passengers had known it was going to take so long they could booked overnight tours around the country. so although stranded in the City , they were expected to be ready to sail off again , at a few hours notice.

...and what happens when its in Singapore and they find 3 days is not enough?

When Aurora broke down in Auckland they kept saying that they would be sailing the next day......that went on for 6 days. If passengers had known it was going to take so long they could booked overnight tours around the country. so although stranded in the City , they were expected to be ready to sail off again , at a few hours notice.

Shocking, treatment. If they continue to treat their passengers with no regard, they will stop being their customers.:(

When Princess USA handed down SEA PRINCESS to Princess Australia a few years ago I sailed across the Pacific on Sea Princess, and observed a ship with a lot of visible maintenance debt . e:g: Lots of corrosion in the railings of balconies, lots of external railings needing re-varnishing, an external electrical conduit where the supporting brackets has rusted out totally and the conduits were supported only by the wiring . So the ship was not in good shape when it came downunder .

On the the other hand albeit SUN & DAWN are getting a bit long in the tooth have always found them to be well maintained.