Seattle Port Valet and Southwest Check-in

ROXY6997

Hi everyone! I am heading on my Alaska cruise soon and had planned to use the Port Valet Service. Since I am flying southwest, it would be ideal to have my check-in completed 24 hours in advance to my flight to get the best possible seating assignment, as I typically don't pay extra for the early bird check-in.

Does anyone know when Port Valet or Princess...whoever does the flight check-ins...completes them??? Anyone with experience in this??? I know I can pay for the internet and do this myself, but if I can rely on them to do it in a timely manner, then I won't waste my money. I may just pay Southwest to upgrade one in my party to the early bird check-in to save us all seats!

Thanks in advance for the help!

To each their own...there are three of us and we would take up one row together anyway, so it's a rather minor imposition. It's not in violation of the rules for one person to pay a fee to upgrade, as we each bought our own airline ticket, and I think it's foolish to imply that no one saves seats for other people on Southwest flights. I think it's obnoxious that Southwest has the option of paying money to skip the line. I don't have the money left over to pay tons of 'extra' fees, but I want to enjoy my trip by being able to sit with my family...if that's obnoxious, then so be it. I was simply asking for help in understanding how the system works to avoid doing something 'obnoxious'.

You can sit with your family by boarding in the group you are assigned when you check in. If you end up in B group, then you can sit together. You don't want to pay for anything, but you want all the best services... top tier services that people pay for.

And Southwest does have rules associated with groups boarding together. They read like so:

Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together? Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger.

I know you're going to do it anyway, and I'm not stupid enough to think I'm going to change your mind. It's just rude and inconsiderate of your fellow passengers, that's all.

By the way, that $15 you spend on the Early Bird for one passenger is enough money to buy internet access on the ship to do it correctly by securing low boarding passes checking in 24 hours before your flight. Princess has a last-day internet special for like $10 or so.

As to your original question, I don't believe the Valet service actually completes the check-in process for you. They'll check your bags, but I don't think they check you in.

Good luck to you.

Actually, counter to your comment, I do appreciate your second response and it did change my mind. I was only going to buy the 'single' early bird if I had no other option. I was not aware that I could get internet access for that little, as the only packages I saw online started at nearly $70.

I am not one to cheat the system and always do the right thing by putting forth the effort to check in exactly 24 hours before to get a good boarding group to allow my party to sit together. I fly southwest regularly and know from experience if I am not in the A or B group, we will not find three seats together. I am happy to sit wherever in the plane, so I wasn't considering the early bird to gain an advantage, just to sit with my family (not a lot to ask for?!). This originally did not seem to be an option while I was on the ship and I was going to do what I had to do in a pinch for a bad scenario...I am sure you've 'skirted' the rules a time or two in life. In my world, a trip is something that is saved for, so that $50 in extra fees for the same seat I already paid for, just to get bumped up in line, is money lost that could be used on this trip. Though you are right, because I don't have the money, I don't deserve good treatment...it's how the world works.

The whole reason I posted this was to get guidance and be provided with information that would help me sort out my options or offer alternatives, not to be judged or criticized for choices I consider making because of my financial status. It's people like you who truly ruin this experience for newbies like me who are just trying to get by and learn the ropes. Thanks a million:D

Most people who fly on Southwest have a budget, so you are not alone or all that atypical. You are still skirting the rules laid out by Southwest. When we fly, it is just my DH and myself, and it really doesn't matter to us if we are separated. It's not like we are going to get lost. If it works out that we are together, fine. But, others paid a premium for the privilege you want for all those in your group.

Roxy6997 - Paying the $15 to SW for Early Bird checkin is worth the few dollars extra as opposed to paying for Internet time on the ship. Plus, the ship's internet is very slow at times and you may not get a good assignment anyway. Also, why waste your time on your vacation having to hassle with checkin via the ship's Internet.

I am not touching the subject of one checking in and saving seats.