Eastern Caribbean Port changes

kc58ab

I have a cruise booked for San Juan, Grand Turk, St Kitts, and St Maarten. I expect by the time mine comes it should be fine, but that made me wonder what happens when they change itinerary. I booked this Eastern Caribbean cruise specifically to visit some ports I haven't been to before. If they were to change it to a Western Caribbean ports do they do a price difference? This Eastern itinerary was more expensive than a western itinerary with the same ship and number of days. Has anyone experienced this to know if they do a price adjustment in situations like this?

Actually no they usually don't do any kind of price adjustment from eastern to western itinerary change. We've had this to happen twice to us due to hurricane or tropical storm situations. The only thing you can recoup is port fees if those ports aren't visited. However one year we had a Bermuda cruise booked and it got rerouted to an eastern itinerary and we did receive some compensation for the difference. I think it was a 25% off future cruise offer which really only benefited someone on a future cruise. The Bermuda cruise was a more expensive cruise than an eastern itinerary would have been for that time of the year but that was all we received. Don't expect anything and you might be surprised at the outcome. We were glad to be out of harms way and had beautiful weather on our re-routed itinerary so we were thankful for that!

I have a cruise booked for San Juan, Grand Turk, St Kitts, and St Maarten. I expect by the time mine comes it should be fine, but that made me wonder what happens when they change itinerary. I booked this Eastern Caribbean cruise specifically to visit some ports I haven't been to before. If they were to change it to a Western Caribbean ports do they do a price difference? This Eastern itinerary was more expensive than a western itinerary with the same ship and number of days. Has anyone experienced this to know if they do a price adjustment in situations like this?

No, there are no adjustments...its in the cruise contract that ports are not guaranteed and can change at any time.

Last year we booked a western port cruise and sometime before the cruise (cant remember how long) it was changed to an Eastern port cruise...no change in price up or down...just different ports.

Ports are subject to change for any or no reason. In 20 or so cruises we have had port changes at least 5 or 6 times for various reasons.There would be no compensation for switching from Eastern to Western Caribbean. Just like there would be no additional charges if they had to switch from a Western to and Eastern itinerary.

I can understand if there was missed port or you changed a port. But it seems if you're having to go on an entirely different cruise altogether there should be. I know they don't have to. But I just wondered if it ever happened. I'm sure in regards to customer service you wouldn't win a lot of business charging people extra because of a complete changed itinerary. I feel for the people that booked an Eastern Cruise like I did to go to ports they haven't been to and flying into Miami with extra cost to go that direction when they could have went to Western one and possibly drove to a port. Of course that's what insurance is for so you can cancel if you know that's the case beforehand. And one of the reasons why I wouldn't cruise during Hurricane Season. Sounds like the with the first reply post that it's possible it could happen just not likely.

This is a great question and we are booked on the Vista leaving October 7th. Our itinerary was Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Kitts so pretty much zero chance of that happening although from what I understand the only one that"s 100% out is St. Maarten. We also booked this for the itinerary and it was pretty much Carnival's priciest itinerary due to New Ship and the itinerary. While I understand the circumstances and we are going to have a good cruise regardless of where they take us I have to admit I'll be a bit disappointed if this gets changed to a western itinerary as I could have booked one for 60% of the price of this cruise...oh well, unless they wait to change it until we're on board I can always cancel (bought the insurance) and just rebook a last minute cruise :) Either way, I feel really bad for all the people affected by this storm and having a cruise rerouted isn't really being affected much. Who knows...maybe we stay on the Eastern route and can help with the rebuilding process.

Will do! I was on a cruise years ago that went to Grand Caymen as one of the first after Hurricane Ivan destroyed the island and the Locals were incredibly happy to have the ships and tourism returning. The best thing we can do is go and enjoy these islands, supports the locals and buy their goods.

I'm hoping they change it to a southern route since it's an 8 day itinerary and the western routes are going to be jammed packed. The Vista also does a Gr Turk, Aruba, Curacao & La Romana route which I would find much more preferable to a western route. Oh well, anything will be fine and it's just wait and see now.

Will do! I was on a cruise years ago that went to Grand Caymen as one of the first after Hurricane Ivan destroyed the island and the Locals were incredibly happy to have the ships and tourism returning. The best thing we can do is go and enjoy these islands, supports the locals and buy their goods.

I totally agree. Looking forward to hearing about your cruise wherever you go.

Just a change of ports .

We have a southern route in mid November and I'm not sure we'll get to St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Always a possibility that they'll work hard to get the port and close beach areas as soon as possible to get some tourist $$. The interior will take much longer to rebuild

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a great question and we are booked on the Vista leaving October 7th. Our itinerary was Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St. Maarten and St. Kitts so pretty much zero chance of that happening although from what I understand the only one that"s 100% out is St. Maarten. We also booked this for the itinerary and it was pretty much Carnival's priciest itinerary due to New Ship and the itinerary. While I understand the circumstances and we are going to have a good cruise regardless of where they take us I have to admit I'll be a bit disappointed if this gets changed to a western itinerary as I could have booked one for 60% of the price of this cruise...oh well, unless they wait to change it until we're on board I can always cancel (bought the insurance) and just rebook a last minute cruise :) Either way, I feel really bad for all the people affected by this storm and having a cruise rerouted isn't really being affected much. Who knows...maybe we stay on the Eastern route and can help with the rebuilding process.

I'm on your cruise as well. Although I wanted to go to those ports, I was there in March and will be back next Oct. For now, any cruise is a good cruise.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

There is a thread running on the NCL boards stating that NCL has changed all Eastern itineraries to Western itineraries through Nov. 30.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2542942

With the terrible devastation on St. Marten/St. Thomas, I would not be surprised if CCL followed suite in a day or 2.

NCL has only announced the change to the one ship...not all their ships. Its right in the link you used.

We are booked for a February cruise to St. Martin, St. Kitts, Grand Turk, and San Juan. I do not see any way that St. Martin will be up and running and I fear the same for Grand Turk. I'm trying to decide if I should cancel and book an itinerary that suits my preferences, or just go with what I have. We have our airfare purchased already and any changes will increase that cost. I'm so sad, St. Martin is my favorite island and I have never been to Grand Turk.

Renee

We are booked for a February cruise to St. Martin, St. Kitts, Grand Turk, and San Juan. I do not see any way that St. Martin will be up and running and I fear the same for Grand Turk. I'm trying to decide if I should cancel and book an itinerary that suits my preferences, or just go with what I have. We have our airfare purchased already and any changes will increase that cost. I'm so sad, St. Martin is my favorite island and I have never been to Grand Turk.

Renee

Grand Turk is ready to receive ships per John Heald. He posted an update earlier today on the condition there. St. Maarten will be another story, praying for those there and in Antigua/Barbuda, St. Thomas, St. John, and the BVI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cap'n Ron

That is good news to hear St Kitts and Grand Turk are good to start receiving ships. I'm sure they could use the tourism. And I think a lot of people would rather keep their Eastern itineraries with St Maarten removed then go Western.