Clothing Recommendation for THIS 7-Day Inland Passage Itinerary

ajtraveler66

Wow. How to pack. For guy? For gal?

We will be on the NCL Pearl June 24-July 1. We have a balcony cabin. [We will be going to a few specialty restaurants--Cagney's, La Bistro, the Italian Restaurant]

Please offer suggestions for minimal clothing needs for this itinerary.

Juneau: Bus through city, go to Mendenhall Glacier, Walk down to Nugget Falls. That's it.

Ketchikan: NCL tour-- boat out to one of the lodges and eat crab. That's it.

Skagway: Ride the Yukon Pass Train. That's it.

Glacier Bay: View all from cabin/balcony...may go out on deck for a bit (only if necessary).

Victoria Island: Go to Butchard Gardens. That's it.

Main concern:

Types of shoes?

Outerwear?

Sweaters/Sweatshirts?

Other shirts

Shorts?

Jeans?

Dress pants/Dress?

Umbrella

Anything else you can suggest in the line of clothing needs

As very commonly discussed here, weather is quite variable in Alaska, and layers, with the outside layer being wind and water proof, is always recommended.

As NCL doesn't have a dress code, not sure there is anything special in that direction.

We always bring layers with the top layer being a gore-tex jacket plus we bring waterproof ponchos as an 'emergency' layer. Make sure you don't forget a waterproof backpack for the layers you aren't wearing during excursions. In addition to layers things often overlooked but absolutely necessary: waterproofed footwear, hat, scarf and gloves.

When me and the DW were there I got by with a light jacket and my wife got all bundled up when outdoors. On the Yukon trip we had warm weather (72 degrees) and I was very comfortable in a t-shirt. Neither of us took shorts except for the plane ride to/from Seattle. As several have already said, layers and something waterproof for the outer layer as needed. Enjoy!

Your minimal clothing needs will depend on how often you are comfortable repeating your clothing.

When people say layers...the common description is:

Comfort layer...this is your base layer, closest to your skin. Ideally, it's wicking and/or quick dry. It should be comfortable. Depending on your cold/heat tolerance, could be sleeveless, short, or long sleeved.

Warmth layer...whatever you put over your base to provide added warmth, if necessary. Could be long sleeved or a vest. Fleece, sweatshirt, flannel, sweater. Since this is generally an added layer...could just be one thing that you bring to put over your base.

Protection layer...waterproof coat. You should just need one.

Weather changes rapidly, even hour to hour. You may find that you want to be warmer on the bus ride to Mendenhall...then you get warm walking...so you lose the warmth layer...then you make it to Nugget Falls and the breeze coming off the lake while you just stand there and admire the view is chilling...so you put the warm layer on again...starts to rain...stops raining...you start walking again and get warm. The clouds roll in and you get cooler...

Plan to be adjusting your layers all day long.

Bring as many base layers as you see fit to accommodate how comfortable you are re-wearing your clothes. Bring as many warmth layers as you see fit to complement your base layers.

For bottoms...think about the consequences of dealing with some rain. Do you have water resistant pants? Would you need extra pants if some got wet? Plan accordingly.

Depending on how comfortable you are with cooler temperatures...you might be just fine in shorts. Would you normally wear shorts in lower 70s weather? You might want to grab a pair or two, just in case, because it is summer after all.

Most recommend waterproof or water resistant shoes. You can easily treat shoes you already own. Bring multiple pairs so that if you need dry shoes, you have them while the others dry...IF you don't own water proof shoes.

Your minimal clothing needs will depend on how often you are comfortable repeating your clothing.

Comfort layer...this is your base layer, closest to your skin. Ideally, it's wicking and/or quick dry. It should be comfortable. Depending on your cold/heat tolerance, could be sleeveless, short, or long sleeved.

Warmth layer...whatever you put over your base to provide added warmth, if necessary. Could be long sleeved or a vest. Fleece, sweatshirt, flannel, sweater. Since this is generally an added layer...could just be one thing that you bring to put over your base.

Weather changes rapidly, even hour to hour. You may find that you want to be warmer on the bus ride to Mendenhall...then you get warm walking...so you lose the warmth layer...then you make it to Nugget Falls and the breeze coming off the lake while you just stand there and admire the view is chilling...so you put the warm layer on again...starts to rain...stops raining...you start walking again and get warm. The clouds roll in and you get cooler...

Bring as many base layers as you see fit to accommodate how comfortable you are re-wearing your clothes. Bring as many warmth layers as you see fit to complement your base layers.

For bottoms...think about the consequences of dealing with some rain. Do you have water resistant pants? Would you need extra pants if some got wet? Plan accordingly.

Depending on how comfortable you are with cooler temperatures...you might be just fine in shorts. Would you normally wear shorts in lower 70s weather? You might want to grab a pair or two, just in case, because it is summer after all.

Most recommend waterproof or water resistant shoes. You can easily treat shoes you already own. Bring multiple pairs so that if you need dry shoes, you have them while the others dry...IF you don't own water proof shoes.

Well said Anita!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

This ought to be a sticky for all the cruisers who ask the Alaska clothing question. Nice job.

I think Anita thoroughly addressed the off-ship attire! As far as on, we just got back from an NCL June 4-11 cruise... for evenings, I took 3 longer casual dresses with cardigans that all went with the same pair of shoes and that was perfect for dinners/evenings. I wore them each twice and a night or two I just wore jeans and sweater to dinner. Hubby took 2 casual slacks and 3 casual collared short-sleeved shirts with one pair of shoes that went with all and that worked well. It may be warmer for you, but the rest of the time on ship, I pretty much wanted jeans, long sleeves & comfy, closed-toed shoes. My kids did swim in the warm pools on the ship, but I didn't! My husband wore some shorts & short sleeves, but he never gets cold! Feel free to ask me if you have any other specific questions! It was a great itinerary!

Wow. How to pack. For guy? For gal?

Main concern:

Types of shoes?

Outerwear?

Sweaters/Sweatshirts?

Other shirts

Shorts?

Jeans?

Dress pants/Dress?

Umbrella

Anything else you can suggest in the line of clothing needs

Edited by saraheg77