Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Claire yorkshire

I think no matter what, it's the luck of the draw. It is the first time I have booked a select price and it will be the last! No cabin selection only the guaranteed cabin grade and no prefered dining either and still on a late sitting waiting list. We have benefited from a On board spend but that's all. P and O need to start treating their loyal customers better?

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I think no matter what, it's the luck of the draw. It is the first time I have booked a select price and it will be the last! No cabin selection only the guaranteed cabin grade and no prefered dining either and still on a late sitting waiting list. We have benefited from a On board spend but that's all. P and O need to start treating their loyal customers better?

But, surely you knew all this when you booked? You seem you know the difference between the two fares. And when you booked 'select' you only had the option of a 'grade' rather than an exact cabin, and the fact that 2nd sitting was waitlisted would also have been flagged up.So you knew all this and still booked 'select'....Sorry, but I can't see why you appear to be upset with you decision...

But, surely you knew all this when you booked? You seem you know the difference between the two fares. And when you booked 'select' you only had the option of a 'grade' rather than an exact cabin, and the fact that 2nd sitting was waitlisted would also have been flagged up.So you knew all this and still booked 'select'....Sorry, but I can't see why you appear to be upset with you decision...

We booked with Planet cruise Bruce and they never informed us of the waiting list for the dining. I would have hoped for at least an upgrade to a better placed deck at the very most. On saver fare we have always had a nicely placed cabin. We have travelled with Princess recently and got upgraded despite we have never been with them before and they acknowledge your loyalty with P and O. Just think they would look after loyal passengers a bit better like Princess do!

We booked with Planet cruise Bruce and they never informed us of the waiting list for the dining. I would have hoped for at least an upgrade to a better placed deck at the very most. On saver fare we have always had a nicely placed cabin. We have travelled with Princess recently and got upgraded despite we have never been with them before and they acknowledge your loyalty with P and O. Just think they would look after loyal passengers a bit better like Princess do!

In that case you should have an issue with Planet Cruise...I use a TA, and they always confirm Cabin NO - No Upgrade - Dinning - Flights (if applicable) - OBC etc., before pressing the final button.

Those who are saying, "Well you knew all this when you booked" are missing the point. That is that P&O are now removing the chance to pick your cabin and possibly dining, and chucking in s bit of OBC and what......free shuttles? Yet they are still charging the select fare. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face and nobody will book select fares. Then we'll go back to cruising being cheaper, because most people will hold off until the saver fares are introduced and even then hold off further to see what the price does.

They need to give us a good reason for booking select but charging £500 more and giving us £200 OBC isn't it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those who are saying, "Well you knew all this when you booked" are missing the point. That is that P&O are now removing the chance to pick your cabin and possibly dining, and chucking in s bit of OBC and what......free shuttles? Yet they are still charging the select fare. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face and nobody will book select fares. Then we'll go back to cruising being cheaper, because most people will hold off until the saver fares are introduced and even then hold off further to see what the price does.

They need to give us a good reason for booking select but charging £500 more and giving us £200 OBC isn't it.

Well said Chris, I totally agree. I have booked with cruise nation before and found them excellent in explaining the terms in full!

Once you've experienced a better grade it's difficult to go back, so you are trapped thereafter!

I don't know about that.

The first cruise I booked was a balcony on P&O, but most of the subsequent cruises have been in inside cabins.

I found inside cabins were not at all claustrophobic and for almost everything you use a cabin for you don't need a window or a balcony. In fact I positively enjoy the pitch black you get at night.

I also found the amount of time spent using the balcony was quite minimal, but obviously that depends on the cruise and the individuals.

Now that is not to say I will never book anything else (I have), but it has to be at a very good price.

I don't know about that.

The first cruise I booked was a balcony on P&O, but most of the subsequent cruises have been in inside cabins.

I found inside cabins were not at all claustrophobic and for almost everything you use a cabin for you don't need a window or a balcony. In fact I positively enjoy the pitch black you get at night.

I also found the amount of time spent using the balcony was quite minimal, but obviously that depends on the cruise and the individuals.

Now that is not to say I will never book anything else (I have), but it has to be at a very good price.

Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions, yourself included, but I think you are in a minority with this view.

I suspect that, for most people, they choose an inside cabin because of cost and not because of preference. I don't use the balcony much. I don't sunbathe for example. But I absolutely love the floor to ceiling panoramic outlook, constantly changing scenery, seeing ships, whales, dolphins, watching the comings and goings when in ports, the sail ins and sail outs without having to get dressed and go out to a public deck etc etc etc

Of course, if it was a case of an inside cabin or not cruising I would take the inside cabin, but it would always be my last choice.

On our very first cruise, when we struggled to afford it, we booked an inside cabin. Thankfully, we were upgraded to an outside and the sea views 24/7 were fantastic, so we said we would always book an outside on future cruises - which we did (so the ploy worked on us).

We used outside 4 berth cabins until the kids got to about 10 when we found that standard cabins were too small. At that point, we skipped standard balacony cabins and moved up to Superior Deluxe Balcony cabins, where the extra space and sofa was much appreciated. But the undoubted highlight was the balcony. After a couple of those, we splashed out on a suite (we paid for it, it wasn't an upgrade) and have booked them since. Sadly, we are now having to utilise Accessible Cabins, which does mean that we can afford more cruises but we would stick with suites if it was practical.

Of course we are all different and thank goodness for that. But I maintain that the majority of people who receive an upgrade (and I mean a proper upgrade, not a different grade of the same type of cabin) really enjoy the extra space, or having a balcony, and would aspire to book that in future if their finances allow. P&O is a sharp commercial business and the upgrade programme isn't just to flatter people - it's a carefully thought through marketing ploy with a purpose. It would cost them a lot less to sail with empty suites than empty inside cabins, but the fact that they bump people up is a very smart move.

Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinions, yourself included, but I think you are in a minority with this view.

And I am glad as it means there are lots of people willing to pay the premium for balcony cabins which keeps down the price I pay.

I fully appreciate it is a choice and everyone is free to spend money as they see fit.

For me, I found I don't spend much time in the cabin, so don't benefit from the views etc. I would sooner spend my time on deck or in a bar enjoying those same views.

I think people feel they should 'upgrade' to an outside or balcony cabin, without actually thinking about it. Or some who are slightly embarrassed by having an inside cabin.

If the premium is worth it to you, great.

But as I said at the beginning, my analysis is the 50-150% premium is not worth it to me, especially as inside, outside, and balcony cabins have access to exactly the same facilities on the ship.

Well said Chris, I totally agree. I have booked with cruise nation before and found them excellent in explaining the terms in full!

Can I ask when you booked. As when a cruise is getting full they always go to cabins and dining on a guaranteed basis. This has gone on for 15 years to my knowledge. To get the full benefit you need to book early and very early for Christmas cruises etc. Otherwise as you have found out you lose some of the benefits.

If I was your TA I would have suggested a saver may have been better.

We book on day one of the booking. So our Jan 18 cruise was booked in April 16.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And I am glad as it means there are lots of people willing to pay the premium for balcony cabins which keeps down the price I pay.

I fully appreciate it is a choice and everyone is free to spend money as they see fit.

For me, I found I don't spend much time in the cabin, so don't benefit from the views etc. I would sooner spend my time on deck or in a bar enjoying those same views.

I think people feel they should 'upgrade' to an outside or balcony cabin, without actually thinking about it. Or some who are slightly embarrassed by having an inside cabin.

If the premium is worth it to you, great.

But as I said at the beginning, my analysis is the 50-150% premium is not worth it to me, especially as inside, outside, and balcony cabins have access to exactly the same facilities on the ship.

I don't think that we are disagreeing about much at all. I think it's great that you prefer inside cabins as you get far more bang for your buck and, as you say, the ship facilities are the same whatever cabin you are in. But for many of us, an inside cabin would make it an entirely different experience and one that we wouldn't particularly enjoy. Neither of us are right or wrong, it's just personal opinions which we are all entitled to.

All I am saying is that, with all other things being equal, I don't think you will find many people who would prefer to stay in a lower grade cabin when offered a free upgrade and that P&O use this tactic very smartly to get people hooked, so that next time they book that higher grade to start with! It's a simple business marketing ploy and it works. If it didn't, there would be no purpose in them doing it. They are not in the business of giving out pleasant surprises. They are in the business of making money - and they are pretty good at it!

If P&O upgraded me I wouldn't turn them down, I just don't choose to pay for the upgrade.

I just find it interesting the significant value people place on a window or balcony.

And by value either the direct enjoyment of those, or the perceived increase in status. I was most amused one evening when a Hyacinth Bucket type announced to a lift of strangers how she was in a balcony cabin. Were we supposed to be impressed?

I place no status on a balcony cabin, but we have one next month in the Caribbean. Mainly because we are out in the sun by 0830 on sea days and by around 2, we like to get away from the main decks for a couple of hours for a quiet drink and some chill time.

If P&O upgraded me I wouldn't turn them down, I just don't choose to pay for the upgrade.

I just find it interesting the significant value people place on a window or balcony.

And by value either the direct enjoyment of those, or the perceived increase in status. I was most amused one evening when a Hyacinth Bucket type announced to a lift of strangers how she was in a balcony cabin. Were we supposed to be impressed?

I'm struggling to believe that many people would go to all the additional expense of a balcony just for snob value!! I think that's putting two and two together and coming up with six.

Of course I might well be wrong and it could be that I am alone in feeling that the additional cost of a balcony is worth every penny and that it transforms the cruise experience. Snobbery is a dreadful thing, 2nd only to jealousy - a disease for which there is no cure :D

I'm struggling to believe that many people would go to all the additional expense of a balcony just for snob value!! I think that's putting two and two together and coming up with six.

Of course I might well be wrong and it could be that I am alone in feeling that the additional cost of a balcony is worth every penny and that it transforms the cruise experience. Snobbery is a dreadful thing, 2nd only to jealousy - a disease for which there is no cure :D

We certainly dont! We just like the freedom it gives us to enjoy the fresh air in privacy in warmer climes.And as i do suffer with claustrophobia, I really cannot cope with an inside. We have booked an outside for our cruise to see the nNorthern Lights as we felt the opportunities for sitting on the balcony in minus 10 degrees would be limited! Definately no snob value with us!

Yes I'm sure that is what happens to lots of people. Once you've experienced a better grade it's difficult to go back, so you are trapped thereafter! If you don't mind me asking, was the upgrade completely free or did they offer it to you for a small supplement? I have heard of people being offered upgrades to suites for £100, which is still a cracking deal.

I also find it odd that aft suites are cheaper than the midships ones. I guess if anyone is massively prone to sea sickness it might help them, but I wouldn't like the noise of people walking past talking late at night (or kids running past), which you get midships - suite or not. Also, the views from aft or forward suites are quite spectacular compared to side suites.

It was a free upgrade - I found out about it checking my CP - I didn't get a call or email 😀

Yes the aft cabins have much less traffic and usually bigger and IMO better balconies so happy they are a lower grade.

We love the space in a suite and do spend quite alot of time on our balcony especially sea days. I think I'd book one just for the Epicurean breakfast though lol! [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Edited by Gymbod

It was a free upgrade - I found out about it checking my CP - I didn't get a call or email 😀

Yes the aft cabins have much less traffic and usually bigger and IMO better balconies so happy they are a lower grade.

We love the space in a suite and do spend quite alot of time on our balcony especially sea days. I think I'd book one just for the Epicurean breakfast though lol! [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Bizarre though it sounds, the exclusive breakfast in The Epicurean is one of the major draws of a Suite for us as well. It's a lovely civilised way to start the day. I guess it's all the nicer if you haven't had to pay for it, something that we have yet to experience!

We always book the select fair and never tick the upgrade because I like to pick our own cabin. Mind you, if I were offered a suite for £100 I would definitely take it! As for balconies, we always go for them if available. For us, it's worth the extra money to be able to sleep with the door open (not sure if you are supposed to, mind!) and enjoy a bit of R&R in the fresh air first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

My thoughts exactly. If the TA were half decent they would have given the customer all the fact and said what would you like to do. Problem is with TA not Pando. Nobody made poster book the cruise. There is always the option to say no.

I have been upgraded on every Select booking I have made where I have opted in to upgrades - and I have been delighted every time. When I have booked a particular cabin or location and do not want to be moved, I have opted out.

I have been upgraded on a P&O ship on a saver fare on my first ever P&O cruise in 2015. Since then I have been on four further P&O cruises on a select fare and on one of those was upgraded. I don't think P&O give any preference to select fare passengers.

Edited by whoops

I've read this thread with great interest.

Being the first 'big' ship, real cruise we have booked [a 4 four night bargain cruise, i'm discounting] all these terms of 'Select' and 'Saver' mystify me.

We booked on a pre launch offer, and were told our cabin was on C deck [on Azura] and were given a cabin number. We could have booked a dinner sitting, but hubby wanted freedom dining.

Initially, we were told we were eligible for an upgrade, but I then learnt that C deck have 'larger' balconies, so rang back and asked for the upgrade facility to be removed.

Our reasons for a balcony, are purely because, hubby an I have different sleeping patterns, and on hotel based holiday, I will pull the curtain, back and read, or sit outside on a balcony. Pulling a curtain back, doesn't wake him, but putting a light on does, and I know from experience [our 4 day cruise] an inside cabin is very dark!!

So as you can see, our balcony isnt for 'snob' value, but more for a happy cruise.

We booked at a price we were happy with, and tbh, I haven't even looked at prices since, but out of curiosity, when do 'saver fares' come out and % wise, how much cheaper are they, and can you only book a guaranteed cabin grade, rather than a specific cabin on a specific deck.

I have been upgraded on every Select booking I have made where I have opted in to upgrades - and I have been delighted every time. When I have booked a particular cabin or location and do not want to be moved, I have opted out.

REALLY???? You must be the exception to the rule, because clearly, upgrades are very hard to come by, judging by this thread.

REALLY???? You must be the exception to the rule, because clearly, upgrades are very hard to come by, judging by this thread.

Happy to be the exception to the rule, Chris :) I generally book early and I always book with P&O - so I don't get TA discounts, remember. I normally book Select but on the occasions I have booked an Early Saver or a Guaranteed cabin ( but paying Select price) I have always been allocated a higher grade of cabin than what I paid for originally.

Edited by Scriv

Happy to be the exception to the rule, Chris :) I generally book early and I always book with P&O - so I don't get TA discounts, remember. I normally book Select but on the occasions I have booked an Early Saver or a Guaranteed cabin ( but paying Select price) I have always been allocated a higher grade of cabin than what I paid for originally.

Scriv....I reckon they must confuse you with someone famous......:D:D

Have you had an upgrade yet for your upcoming cruise....?