Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Claire yorkshire

Maybe MM, maybe.... mind you, I always seem to pay full whack for my cruises, so people can't surely begrudge me a move up the corridor lol. As to my next cruise, it's just coming up to possible Upgrade Fairy time, so I am living in hope - Penthouse Suite for Lady Scriv this time maybe??

When is the most likely time for an upgrade, Scriv? I might have missed it as we sail beginning of March.

Ann:)

On my very unstatistical observations , my upgrades have generally been about the time they allocate the Early Saver cabins ie 2/3 weeks before sailing .... which seems logical as they presumably upgrade the Select and then allocate the Early Savers. However, it seems impossible to second guess the Upgrade Fairy

Edited by Scriv

On my very unstatistical observations , my upgrades have generally been about the time they allocate the Early Saver cabins ie 2/3 weeks before sailing .... which seems logical as they presumably upgrade the Select and then allocate the Early Savers. However, it seems impossible to second guess the Upgrade Fairy

With that sort of luck Scriv then I would definitely be investing as much as I could into Premium Bonds.:rolleyes:;)

Maybe MM, maybe.... mind you, I always seem to pay full whack for my cruises, so people can't surely begrudge me a move up the corridor lol. As to my next cruise, it's just coming up to possible Upgrade Fairy time, so I am living in hope - Penthouse Suite for Lady Scriv this time maybe??

Would be no less than you deserve Scriv...keep me posted. (Smiley!):):)

I have to say that, even having contributed to this thread, I don't feel any the wiser.

Part of the problem is what P&O and some passengers consider to be an 'upgrade', which I do not consider to be the case when you are moved to another cabin of exactly the same type that just happens to be in a slightly different classification and price according to P&O.

If, for example, I want to book a balcony cabin, I will look at where they are located and chose one based upon multiple factors, such as not being above or below public areas that may cause noise, not in high traffic areas (again, a source of noise), not being next to a cabin that has four berths and therefore likely to contain a family with young children etc etc. I will carefully select my cabin and book accordingly.

P&O's sub classifications within the same cabin type seem to be based mostly on distance from the centre of the ship, mostly playing on people's fear of sea sickness. Having stayed in all areas of ships, I find this to be a massively overstated issue. The notion that in a storm those in midships cabins will sleep undisturbed whilst those who are right at the front will be thrown out of their beds is, shall we say, somewhat exaggerated. I would far rather be right at the front or right at the back and away from all noise disturbance than smack bang in the middle of things.

My point being that if I considered that a balcony cabin in one place was better suited for me than another identical balcony cabin elsewhere on the ship, I would book it to start with. Yes it might cost a few hundred pounds more, but in the context of the total holiday expenditure I wouldn't consider it 'money saved' by gambling on a less suitable cabin.

So, a move from one cabin of a certain type to another of the same type but at a slightly different grade is, in my eyes, a relocation and not an upgrade and I wouldn't welcome it at all.

An upgrade in my eyes is being moved from an inside to an outside, an outside to a balcony, a balcony to a Superior Deluxe / Mini Suite or from a non-suite cabin to a Suite.

So, I am caught because obviously if I have booked a balcony cabin and P&O offered me an upgrade to a suite I would be delighted. But because I fear that they will simply move me from my thoroughly resesarched quiet cabin to one of the same type that could be noisy, simply because it is more mid-ships and deemed 'better', I tick the 'no upgrade' box.

Perhaps I am missing something? If so, please enlighten me!

I have to say that, even having contributed to this thread, I don't feel any the wiser.

Part of the problem is what P&O and some passengers consider to be an 'upgrade', which I do not consider to be the case when you are moved to another cabin of exactly the same type that just happens to be in a slightly different classification and price according to P&O.

If, for example, I want to book a balcony cabin, I will look at where they are located and chose one based upon multiple factors, such as not being above or below public areas that may cause noise, not in high traffic areas (again, a source of noise), not being next to a cabin that has four berths and therefore likely to contain a family with young children etc etc. I will carefully select my cabin and book accordingly.

P&O's sub classifications within the same cabin type seem to be based mostly on distance from the centre of the ship, mostly playing on people's fear of sea sickness. Having stayed in all areas of ships, I find this to be a massively overstated issue. The notion that in a storm those in midships cabins will sleep undisturbed whilst those who are right at the front will be thrown out of their beds is, shall we say, somewhat exaggerated. I would far rather be right at the front or right at the back and away from all noise disturbance than smack bang in the middle of things.

My point being that if I considered that a balcony cabin in one place was better suited for me than another identical balcony cabin elsewhere on the ship, I would book it to start with. Yes it might cost a few hundred pounds more, but in the context of the total holiday expenditure I wouldn't consider it 'money saved' by gambling on a less suitable cabin.

So, a move from one cabin of a certain type to another of the same type but at a slightly different grade is, in my eyes, a relocation and not an upgrade and I wouldn't welcome it at all.

An upgrade in my eyes is being moved from an inside to an outside, an outside to a balcony, a balcony to a Superior Deluxe / Mini Suite or from a non-suite cabin to a Suite.

So, I am caught because obviously if I have booked a balcony cabin and P&O offered me an upgrade to a suite I would be delighted. But because I fear that they will simply move me from my thoroughly resesarched quiet cabin to one of the same type that could be noisy, simply because it is more mid-ships and deemed 'better', I tick the 'no upgrade' box.

Perhaps I am missing something? If so, please enlighten me!

P&O have 3 upgrade options:

1) No upgrade

2) Upgrade to any cabin

3) Upgrade but only to a different type of cabin ie inside to outside, outside to balcony etc.

I usually choose the 3rd option 🙂

1) No upgrade

2) Upgrade to any cabin

3) Upgrade but only to a different type of cabin ie inside to outside, outside to balcony etc.

Are you sure about this? I have only ever seen 'Upgrade' or 'No Upgrade' when booking online, and these are the only options my TA has ever asked me...

1) No upgrade

2) Upgrade to any cabin

How do you choose between your option 2 and option 3? I have only ever seen upgrade or no upgrade. Nothing to specify a 'proper upgrade only'! I too would be happy with your 3rd option but have never seen it. Please enlighten me as I have obviously missed something!

I'm with you on this Selbourne. If you select your cabin, you do so being happy with it. So you say no to an auto upgrade. If you choose to pay a select fare so you can pick your cabin, why would you opt for an upgrade.

But I agree. Moving me from one inside cabin to another of similar size is NOT an upgrade IMO. Inside to outside/balcony is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first P&O cruise was on Ventura and I booked a forward inside cabin. Three weeks before the cruise I was upgraded to a midships inside. A week later I was upgraded again to a forward outside. I consider the second upgrade to be a real upgrade.

How do you choose between your option 2 and option 3? I have only ever seen upgrade or no upgrade. Nothing to specify a 'proper upgrade only'! I too would be happy with your 3rd option but have never seen it. Please enlighten me as I have obviously missed something!

You need a good TA. Our TA offers the 3rd option above when booking a select fare. We have been offered an upgrade to a suite from a balcony near the cruise date but there was an additional charge and in the end we decided against it.

You need a good TA. Our TA offers the 3rd option above when booking a select fare. We have been offered an upgrade to a suite from a balcony near the cruise date but there was an additional charge and in the end we decided against it.

Hmmm. All very curious. Upgrades are meant to be complimentary but I know of people being offered an upgrade to a Suite for £100, which would be a no-brainer. If the 'charge' was more than that, I would suggest it's less of an upgrade and more a last minute offer of a better cabin due to late availability, where the TA gets a proportion of your new increased fare. Can you recall approximately what the additional charge was?

It also makes me wonder if P&O offers a number of complimentary upgrades to TA's (without designating them to specific passengers) who then offer them at a price to their customers willing to pay something for them?

All very mysterious and no clear system for us to work out!

Hmmm. All very curious. Upgrades are meant to be complimentary but I know of people being offered an upgrade to a Suite for £100, which would be a no-brainer. If the 'charge' was more than that, I would suggest it's less of an upgrade and more a last minute offer of a better cabin due to late availability, where the TA gets a proportion of your new increased fare. Can you recall approximately what the additional charge was?

It also makes me wonder if P&O offers a number of complimentary upgrades to TA's (without designating them to specific passengers) who then offer them at a price to their customers willing to pay something for them?

All very mysterious and no clear system for us to work out!

Our upgrade came from P&O direct even though we had booked through a TA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

1) No upgrade

2) Upgrade to any cabin

I usually choose the 3rd option [emoji846]

I think this is a TA based upgrade and not a P&O one as I have not come across it in all my booking experience.

I.e. It is down to one TA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry Dai, but you are wrong. We book with a small TA (was one female on her own now two) and she tells us it is an option on the PO booking site. As you book a suite you are unlikely to be offered the upgrade unless you are aiming for the Captains cabin.

We also got offered a suite via PO not via TA but I can't remember the price.

Sorry Dai, but you are wrong. We book with a small TA (was one female on her own now two) and she tells us it is an option on the PO booking site. As you book a suite you are unlikely to be offered the upgrade unless you are aiming for the Captains cabin.

We also got offered a suite via PO not via TA but I can't remember the price.

But the fact that you declined the Suite 'upgrade' does rather imply that it was at a not inconsiderate cost, which I maintain is not an upgrade but an offer to change your cabin at a discounted rate. Not quite the same thing.

Like Dai, I am unaware of any P&O official 3rd option to only elect for 'proper' upgrades e.g. balcony cabin to suite

Edited by Selbourne

I always book direct with P&O and have never been offered the choice of any category/option of upgrade - just simply whether to opt out or to opt in to the complimentary auto upgrade.

Edited by Scriv

But the fact that you declined the Suite 'upgrade' does rather imply that it was at a not inconsiderate cost, which I maintain is not an upgrade but an offer to change your cabin at a discounted rate. Not quite the same thing.

Like Dai, I am unaware of any P&O official 3rd option to only elect for 'proper' upgrades e.g. balcony cabin to suite

We had chosen a De luxe balcony for a reason and although I can't remember the price for the suite I don't think it was substantial.

I'm sorry you have been unaware of the third option but we have been offered it more than once via our excellent Cruise TA and so have others reading previous posts. I agree it isn't given as an option booking direct.

I always book direct with P&O and and there is definitely an option to choose upgrade to different "type" of cabin as I have chosen this option twice. Customer service reps should be aware of the 3 options, the "Personal Cruise Consultants" certainly are. You just need to speak to P&O and they will mark your booking for this type of upgrade.

Just look at the range of upgrade options that Diamond tier members of the RCI loyalty programme receive.

I am not sure whether lower tier members get less options as the print out is from my own account.

Would it be a good idea for P&O to offer something similar?

Member Information

Crown & Anchor Tier:DIAMOND

Crown & Anchor Points:0Upgrade Preferences:

I prefer an automatic upgrade

I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom

I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

If I am traveling with friends or family and would like our rooms to be near one another

I do not wish to be upgraded to Boardwalk or Central Park balcony staterooms (OA/AL only)

I do not wish to be upgraded into an accessible stateroom

I would like to stay on the same deck as my current stateroom

I do not wish to be moved to a lower deck

I only wish to be upgraded to a stateroom that is near an elevator

PS that grin on DIAMOND is not of my making therefore I cannot remove it.

Edited by terrierjohn

I always book direct with P&O and and there is definitely an option to choose upgrade to different "type" of cabin as I have chosen this option twice. Customer service reps should be aware of the 3 options, the "Personal Cruise Consultants" certainly are. You just need to speak to P&O and they will mark your booking for this type of upgrade.

Thanks. We have the Personal Cruise Consultant option, so will definitely ask next time we make a booking. I recall being told by P&O that if you opt for an upgrade option then if you are upgraded it happens automatically and you lose your original cabin. Given the care we take to select a well located cabin I've never been prepared to take the risk of a move to what P&O may deem to be an upgrade but I don't. As I have said, a move to the same type of cabin but in a higher grade is a move, not an upgrade in my eyes.

So I guess my final question is this. Are all upgrades 'offered' as an option and can you decline them if you do not consider them to be an improvement? In other words, if I've booked a balcony cabin and they want to 'upgrade' me to another balcony cabin which they deem to be a higher grade I can say 'no thanks' but if they offer me a Suite I can say 'yes'?