Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

That sounds more promising, great if that is what happens.

It has happened for me on every cruise since the new system came in. We have arrived about 20 mins before our time in every case and have gone straight through every time. :)

Does anyone know if The Glasshouse is open for lunch during the afternoon on embarkation day? We will be on Aurora but the question applies to any ship. We usually head for the buffet for lunch as we are often first there, but as we will be boarding later next time we anticipate it will be rammed and we would rather go somewhere quieter. We know that the main dining rooms aren't open but have never checked out The Glasshouse.

You are given a colour and number which matches you embarkation time. So if there are people in the room waiting with an earlier time they will go first. So yes you will have to wait.

Dai, that has not been my experience, on the 2 cruises we have done since it was implemented we were given the next alpha card available, and were on much quicker than our 3:30 check in time.

As a top tier cruiser you are boarded immediately anyway and therefore any info you have on this will have been second hand, which I guess my info trumps.

My wife also uses a wheelchair but as we travel with minimal hand luggage I do the pushing and we are boarded way faster than those awaiting assistance.

In my experience the Glasshouse does not sell food at lunchtime on embarkation day. You can still get booze though !

Tut tut tut.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dai, that has not been my experience, on the 2 cruises we have done since it was implemented we were given the next alpha card available, and were on much quicker than our 3:30 check in time.

As a top tier cruiser you are boarded immediately anyway and therefore any info you have on this will have been second hand, which I guess my info trumps.

My wife also uses a wheelchair but as we travel with minimal hand luggage I do the pushing and we are boarded way faster than those awaiting assistance.

So you are saying it is now first come first served.

So why are people saying they have had to wait 3 hours, are they telling fibs.

My information is first hand as I have stood in line and watched people being given different cards after the lady in charge their ETicket.

Of course when we give her our ETicket she doffs her cap and gets someone to show us where to go.

Does anyone know if The Glasshouse is open for lunch during the afternoon on embarkation day? We will be on Aurora but the question applies to any ship. We usually head for the buffet for lunch as we are often first there, but as we will be boarding later next time we anticipate it will be rammed and we would rather go somewhere quieter. We know that the main dining rooms aren't open but have never checked out The Glasshouse.

Don't know as I am too busy swilling fizz in a MDR. I like to move on to the red wine next.

Then they announce that the cabins are ready, sorry but they will have to wait.

My information is first hand as I have stood in line and watched people being given different cards after the lady in charge their ETicket.

Of course when we give her our ETicket she doffs her cap and gets someone to show us where to go.

I don't know Dai but that comment is hearsay, mine is from actual experience.

I don't know Dai but that comment is hearsay, mine is from actual experience.

So people on FB and on here and other forums who say they had a long wait are lying. I must remember that.

The giving of cards to match board in time I have seen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I'll let you know what happens when I get back! Also I would think they would want customers like us who live near the port onboard early so it will help stop the Southampton traffic becoming jammed especially if there is more than 1 ship in and also if it's a crew changeover day.

Cathy

On our last cruise I was using a mobility scooter and we did have priority boarding as we were in a suite. First Imhad to register with the assistance people so they could ensure I was registered as having a scooter and then we went on to where the ladies with the cards were. They were certainly giving different cards to people - some got B some got C etc. As we had priority we went straight to check in but the impression I got was people were given a card in accordance with the time on their E ticket. We had to show ours before we were waved through to check in.

My guess would be that they didn't have to wait because one of them was in a wheelchair. If neither of them had had a mobility issue, then I suspect that they would have had to wait.

We usually have a 3:30 boarding time but usually go to the mobility section around 12 with the intention of just waiting for our boarding time. The guy with the clipboard usually takes our name and advises us that he will get us on as quickly as possible but that if someone comes with a time earlier than us they will be taken on first. We were sitting with a couple who had a 1:30 slot and sure enough once boarding started they went on before us. We didn't have to wait too long as they are usually very helpful and obviously want to get everyone on as quickly as possible.

We usually have a 3:30 boarding time but usually go to the mobility section around 12 with the intention of just waiting for our boarding time. The guy with the clipboard usually takes our name and advises us that he will get us on as quickly as possible but that if someone comes with a time earlier than us they will be taken on first. We were sitting with a couple who had a 1:30 slot and sure enough once boarding started they went on before us. We didn't have to wait too long as they are usually very helpful and obviously want to get everyone on as quickly as possible.

Thanks. That's really useful info. I think that we will do the same as you. If we have to wait until our time, so be it. Hopefully we will be lucky!

Thanks. That's really useful info. I think that we will do the same as you. If we have to wait until our time, so be it. Hopefully we will be lucky!

Of course the staff always have a note of any Mackem's on board and keep any eye on them.

:) :) :)

Sorry Pat. :) :)

We had to wait about 2 hours last time for our 3 o'clock time on Aurora. We arrived before the buses but were given a different coloured card and had to wait for the previous colours to be called, also when a bus came in they took priority and were shown through a different queue. That was in November 2016.

I'll let you know what happens when I get back! Also I would think they would want customers like us who live near the port onboard early so it will help stop the Southampton traffic becoming jammed especially if there is more than 1 ship in and also if it's a crew changeover day.

Cathy

Just to be a little contentious, I think those that live nearby should be some of the last to be boarded, as they can stay at home until the last minute. Those of us with a 6 hour drive will always allow a lot of slack to make sure that we are not late, and inevitably we will arrive 2 hours too early, and thus have to hang around until our designated boarding time.

(nb - please do not take my suggestion too seriously!)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Just to be a little contentious, I think those that live nearby should be some of the last to be boarded, as they can stay at home until the last minute. Those of us with a 6 hour drive will always allow a lot of slack to make sure that we are not late, and inevitably we will arrive 2 hours too early, and thus have to hang around until our designated boarding time.

(nb - please do not take my suggestion too seriously!)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Great idea, I do think those who live so close to the port should get a handicap as in horse racing. Let's have a level playing field.

:). :). :)

Ha Ha - Watch it you lot !! ;) Seriously though, I live about 30-40 mins away from the port on a good day - but generally have to leave an hour. I am near Junction 9 on the M3 and where the A33/A34 meet just before the M3 and where just about anything can happen causing massive delays.

Ha Ha - Watch it you lot !! ;) Seriously though, I live about 30-40 mins away from the port on a good day - but generally have to leave an hour. I am near Junction 9 on the M3 and where the A33/A34 meet just before the M3 and where just about anything can happen causing massive delays.

We are only in Kent but I hate the M25 with a passion, I'm jealous of anyone who doesn't have to go round it!

We normally travel on the day but leave plenty of time.

However this July we're treating ourselves to a hotel just outside Southampton after I discovered there are 5 or 6 ships in port! The cruise is only 6 nights so it was easy to persuade the hubby [emoji4][emoji4] plus we don't have to check out til 12 so we'll have a lazy morning before driving down.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were given the letters as usual back in October but a red card not a green. We were not as early as usual but still earlier than our 3pm check in. I thought the red card was because we were early. They did call the green first but then they called corresponding letter in red.

We were prepared to wait as it was our first 3pm check in. I think we got there 1.15, we did try and mooch in Southampton but I was nervous of my passports and tickets in my bag! So we decided to go along and at least be there with kindles etc, but we were walking in our cabin & cases there about 2.15! Happy with that, first time I've unpacked so early [emoji4]

I do appreciate if coaches got there before us we would have had to wait longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't get stressed up at all about my boarding times. We arrive 20 mins or so before our time and have always gone straight through, but if for some reason we arrived much earlier but had to wait or had the bad luck to arrive at the same time as a coach load, then we would just go with it. After a few experiences recently of airports, I am so appreciative of the very fast and stress free embarkation procedures sailing from Southampton in comparison.

Of course the staff always have a note of any Mackem's on board and keep any eye on them.

:) :) :)

Sorry Pat. :) :)

Haha They must like red and white stripes in Southampton so get us on quickly; x