Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Question for daiB or anyone else who uses assisted boarding (wheelchair users etc).

As you are boarded by a team of dockside yellow jacketed helpers, are you still held to the fairly rigid embarkation times, or do you find that it's quicker as they don't want to be standing around waiting for assistance passengers to arrive? Reason I ask is that we aren't in a Suite on our next cruise and are still in the lowly levels of loyalty points, so don't qualify for priority embarkation for the first time in a while.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a nightmare last month - my mother is 102 and was left shivering at the entrance for over an hour. Pando - the least caring organisation it has ever been my displeasure to deal with (still in email contact over this disgraceful scenario) specifies priority check-in for loyalty members as do other cruise lines. However, they don't advertise that they also give loyalty members priority for wheelchairs - so you can sit and sit while newly arrived passengers just walk up and are given wheelchairs!! Also, they adhere to the check-in time you are given - we had 3.30 but have to arrive at noonish, due to her eating and rest periods. No other cruise line does these things. We cannot risk leaving at 1.30 to arrive at 3.30 as we have to use the M25 and M3. Their suggestion? Go somewhere else for two hours - like walk a lady of 102 around West Quay for hours? Idiots! What are they thinking?

They then had the audacity to say that they treat everyone equally. I resent the fact that this is Day 1 of our cruise and other people can arrive at noon for lunch, but we can't!! Funny sort of equality. I facetiously suggested that they serve our lunch at the wheelchair waiting area and/or gave us a hotel room as we have paid for that day. Unbelievably, this is the only part of the emails they actually replied to sensibly - if somewhat curtly - with a 'no'. Hehehe - the idiots didn't even recognise irony - are these 12 year-olds in so called 'customer relations'? Really, I don't think they even read the emails!!

In the US discrimination re allocation of wheelchairs is illegal - and I believe it is here too! Pando is the only cruiseline to do this. The only reason that we eventually got a wheelchair is because the lady in charge of the arrivals clipboard said that the order she was given was a disgrace and that we would be given the first available wheelchair as we had waited so long and my mother way in a bad way!! Load of jobsworths at Pando IMHO!

Hope you have better luck than we had. When we go again I am considering taking a tent to put up in the departures by the front entrance - the media would love that one I reckon!! Hehehehe!!

Edited by BMT

While I have every sympathy with you, the fact is that not everybody can board at 12, and most of us have to negotiate the motorway network and will arrive early. Given that you had a late checkin time, would you not have been better to have booked a day room at a nearby hotel, so as to make things more comfortable for your mother?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We had a nightmare last month - my mother is 102 and was left shivering at the entrance for over an hour. Pando - the least caring organisation it has ever been my displeasure to deal with (still in email contact over this disgraceful scenario) specifies priority check-in for loyalty members as do other cruise lines. However, they don't advertise that they also give loyalty members priority for wheelchairs - so you can sit and sit while newly arrived passengers just walk up and are given wheelchairs!! Also, they adhere to the check-in time you are given - we had 3.30 but have to arrive at noonish, due to her eating and rest periods. No other cruise line does these things. We cannot risk leaving at 1.30 to arrive at 3.30 as we have to use the M25 and M3. Their suggestion? Go somewhere else for two hours - like walk a lady of 102 around West Quay for hours? Idiots! What are they thinking?

They then had the audacity to say that they treat everyone equally. I resent the fact that this is Day 1 of our cruise and other people can arrive at noon for lunch, but we can't!! Funny sort of equality. I facetiously suggested that they serve our lunch at the wheelchair waiting area and/or gave us a hotel room as we have paid for that day. Unbelievably, this is the only part of the emails they actually replied to sensibly - if somewhat curtly - with a 'no'. Hehehe - the idiots didn't even recognise irony - are these 12 year-olds in so called 'customer relations'? Really, I don't think they even read the emails!!

In the US discrimination re allocation of wheelchairs is illegal - and I believe it is here too! Pando is the only cruiseline to do this. The only reason that we eventually got a wheelchair is because the lady in charge of the arrivals clipboard said that the order she was given was a disgrace and that we would be given the first available wheelchair as we had waited so long and my mother way in a bad way!! Load of jobsworths at Pando IMHO!

Hope you have better luck than we had. When we go again I am considering taking a tent to put up in the departures by the front entrance - the media would love that one I reckon!! Hehehehe!!

Thanks, but I'm struggling to understand the issue you are raising, and perhaps P&O are too?

My wife isn't 102, but she does need a wheelchair due to disability. So, we either take one with us (if travelling alone) or book one via Mobility at Sea for the duration of our cruise if our daughters are with us and we don't have the space in the car. In the case of the latter, they are always waiting for you at the terminal and are not used for any other passengers.

P&O do not provide wheelchairs for use on board during the cruise, only to help people on and off if, for example, they are alone or their travel companion is carrying hand luggage. I can only assume from your post that you didn't bring a wheelchair or rent one in advance. In that case, how was your mother going to get around the ship during the cruise? The distances on board are every bit as long as the walk on to the ship.

I accept that I might be missing the point here and have misunderstood your situation. If so, I'd be genuinely interested to be corrected. But, as the husband of a disabled person, we take responsibility for our own mobility challenges because relying on others is just too risky.

As for priority boarding, we have often taken advantage of that having booked a suite. Next time we aren't in one, so fully understand that others will have priority over us. We look forward to reaching Caribbean tier in a few years time when we will get priority boarding automatically. People spend more for a Suite, or go on lots of cruises, partly because of the extra benefits which they become entitled to. That includes getting on board first and having a dedicated lunch venue. I do agree that PandO could do better at getting all passengers on board earlier but life isn't equal I'm afraid. If you pay more you will and should have some benefits for that.

OK here we go. As I say, it is Day 1 of our cruise - as is everyone else's. They say we are all treated equally - so why should we lose most of the day when its not our choice? Obviously, I can't really take a hotel room as its actually quite difficult moving the elderly around - and not only physically:rolleyes: - one move is quite sufficient, which is why we only cruise from Soham- usually quick door-to-door. But the muppets took my requests seriously!! Trying to visualise a beautifully set-up table in the entrance, with us eating lunch and everyone arriving around us - ROTFL!!!

BTW - we have an HA balcony as its the best we can purchase - suites and deluxe balconies only have a bath - and she can't get in and out of a bath! So we can't even buy wheelchair priority even if we wanted to!

My question is: why do we only have this problem on Pando? All the other cruise lines offer priority check-in for loyalty, suites etc. - but not priority at the initial wheelchair stage. The other lines' priority is to get the disabled on board ASAP with as little difficulty as possible. Regardless of status or how much they have paid!!! This is the humane and right thing to do. Money should not come into it - we are talking disabled here!!

To answer your question: We only need a 'pusher' really, but they only do this with their own wheelchairs - insurance probably. I am also elderly and push our wheelchair loaded with medications, appliances etc. etc. to get on board - no way can I do gangways etc. with my mother sitting in it as well!! We go Soham to Soham and don't get off at all. (except once at Tenerife when we were blue-lighted to the hospital!). Can't get off as cannot cope with the wheelchair situation!!

If you read the loyalty benefits, they are the same as other cruiselines - priority check-in. But that's exactly what it says with the other lines - as I say, some muppet at Pando has interpreted that as priority wheelchair!! Cunard has never done anything like this to us - nor Celebrity - nor NCL - nor RCI - nor Regent - nor Silversea yadda yadda yadda!! And yes, we do cruise many times a year - after all, if not now, then when?;p;p

Actually, I was impressed with many of the other passengers coming up to us and apologising for having a wheelchair before my mother. Even they felt that it was a disgraceful decision. The lady with the clipboard was really upset at the order.

Frankly, not been Pando for 54 years when we did an amazing world cruise on the first Oriana. As an avid Brexiteer I believed we should start supporting British products (I do realise its a Mickey ship really) and so we went on the Ventura - love the ship as its similar to Grand and Golden Princess and we have many happy memories of TAs on these.

Oh, and that reminds me. When we finally got on board the kindly pusher said my Mum shouldn't go to the buffet as by then she was in a bit of a state and so took us to a restaurant, where we were refused entry 'cos we wern't on the loyalty scheme!! He did try to reason with them, but they didn't want to know!! So we took her to the cabin to lie down and I went up and made her a sandwich!! Not complaining about that, but just saying all in all, it wasn't the best introduction to a new ship!! Luxury of any sort, it ain't!!!!

We are booked Christmas and New Year, but I think that will be the end of our Pandos. Back to Cunard in the winter. Shame, as the cruise was spoiled by irritating little things - the basics are really quite good. Service is very much take it or leave it - no flexibility anywhere. Celebrity, Cunard etc. go out of their way to make things happen. Can't fault the room steward though - Simon was amazing - nothing too much trouble.

Nice, polite discussion on here btw - thought the flames would be rising by now by Pando afficionados.

Edited by BMT

Dai, that has not been my experience, on the 2 cruises we have done since it was implemented we were given the next alpha card available, and were on much quicker than our 3:30 check in time.

As a top tier cruiser you are boarded immediately anyway and therefore any info you have on this will have been second hand, which I guess my info trumps.

My wife also uses a wheelchair but as we travel with minimal hand luggage I do the pushing and we are boarded way faster than those awaiting assistance.

John I think the experience of BMT somewhat proves my point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

BMT there are lots of organisations where the assistants are only allowed to push someone in their own wheelchairs - actually including a Care Home that I know. I don't know the exact reasons but thinking it is Insurance / Health and Safety related. Not just P&O. And as regards being treated equally, the rest of us would also all like to arrive earlier than our allotted time and get on and enjoy our holidays so as not to lose part of our first day. There has to be some system.

Edited by Scriv

BMT there are lots of organisations where the assistants are only allowed to push someone in their own wheelchairs - actually including a Care Home that I know. I don't know the exact reasons but thinking it is Insurance / Health and Safety related. Not just P&O. And as regards being treated equally, the rest of us would also all like to arrive earlier than our allotted time and get on and enjoy our holidays so as not to lose part of our first day. There has to be some system.

Yes, its insurance - but the other cruiselines don't distinguish by how much you've paid as to when you get a wheelchair!! I am not complaining about needing a pusher - am grateful for the help!! But the disabled are treated as special cases by most travel companies. On buses, planes, trains etc. there is separate and speedy boarding for ramps etc. In fact, in the UK now, I believe the facilities for the disabled are much improved. We should know - we live in a Care Home!! The disabled do have special requirements and are usually treated as special cases - except by Pando!! But as I say, even on board, we found there to be rather a lot of inflexibility - one passenger, also trying Pando after many years, said "it's run for the staff and not the passengers"!! I wouldn't go quite that far but.........!!!

I have to say that everyone I have told about this has been rather shocked!! One said its our fault for going on a line with a poor rep for service. Their customer service needs shooting - ridiculous replies to emails, totally ignoring my comments - except about being served lunch in the terminal of course!! She managed to reply to that one hehehe!

I have worked in PR all my life - would never employ one of these people!! Not clue as to how to handle situations without antagonising the complainant. I am inclined to buy a cheap blow up tent and set it up in the entrance and invite the Press. Perhaps Rob Brydon would join me;p Great video ROTFL

Most irritating thing is that when I read the reviews, passengers turning up at any time are usually accommodated quite quickly. Only the wheelchair allocation is inflexible. Go figure. I have to say that I was rather irritated when a lady given a wheelchair immediately was later to be seen on the ship dancing most energetically, not a wheelchair in sight!! Must have some extremely mystifying illness.:(

Perhaps that's why you had to wait as so many people take advantage of the assistance on offer.

Originally posted by terrierjohn Dai, that has not been my experience, on the 2 cruises we have done since it was implemented we were given the next alpha card available, and were on much quicker than our 3:30 check in time.

As a top tier cruiser you are boarded immediately anyway and therefore any info you have on this will have been second hand, which I guess my info trumps.

My wife also uses a wheelchair but as we travel with minimal hand luggage I do the pushing and we are boarded way faster than those awaiting assistance.

John I think the experience of BMT somewhat proves my point.

I would have thought it rather proved my point that DIY with a wheelchair is way faster than waiting for assistance.

Possibly - actually, I think you could be right.:eek::eek:

In a nutshell, should be first come first served as on all the other lines. The very elderly and disabled should be boarded asap. My mother was a short time away from requiring the assistance of the doctor. Spoilt her first couple of days on board really. I was also upset for the clipboard lady who was upset about the whole thing!! And yes, I DO believe the very elderly and disabled should receive special treatment - regardless of money. Especially if they are showing signs of distress. If it happens next time, I shall just call for a nurse!

However, I believe Pando is getting a new CEO - an American - perhaps he can educate the staff on customer service and how to handle complaints.

Did Pando meet our expectations? Sadly, they did - as we didn't really have any after reading the MANY critical reviews. Thinking about it, they seem to have aimed at the lowest common denominator, rather than trying to excell themselves. We did feel that sometimes the staff were treating passengers with disdain. Especially at the junior management level. We did enjoy the specialty restaurants - the entertainment was good - and where I think they score - the drinks were very reasonable (read 'cheap' hehehe). If the drinks were the price of other lines, I really wonder whether they could fill their ships. It wasn't a bad experience - but not a patch on Celebrity or Cunard. It was just OK. BTW - the Library was shameful! Books in a disgusting condition.

BMT - I'm afraid that I don't agree with you. Somebody requiring a wheelchair who is entitled to priority boarding due to being in a Suite or being a high loyalty status SHOULD be attended to prior to wheelchair users who aren't.

You have cited an example of another passenger using assisted boarding who clearly didn't need it. If using assisted boarding guaranteed people priority boarding, then it would become horrendously abused. It already annoys me that some people who are not genuine full time wheelchair users can be allocated the few and far between accessible cabins because they find the extra space helpful. Those who have no choice but to use an accessible cabin have to book immediately that cruises are released or have no chance. If they miss out, they cannot cruise.

I stress that my wife is a wheelchair user. This is as a result of a crippling disability. With all due respect, your mothers need for a wheelchair is due to old age. If every elderly person on a P&O cruise was given priority boarding, it would be a huge proportion of the passengers! Don't get me wrong, reaching 102 is a fantastic achievement but getting to a ripe old age shouldn't, in itself, warrant the same level of attention as someone who has a severe disability. I appreciate that this is my opinion and you clearly won't agree with me.

Forgive me for being controversial, but the fact that you didn't take a wheelchair yourself says to me that, in spite of her age, your mother has a degree of mobility that, for example, my wife, who is considerably younger, doesn't have and it seems to me that you requested assisted boarding partly because you thought it would give you a rapid boarding privelige. As it doesn't, when you feel that it should, you have complained.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I don't feel that your complaint is a legitimate one. If you want to benefit from priority boarding, you will have to pay more for a Suite or do over 200 nights to get Caribbean loyalty status as the rest of us do.

BMT - I'm afraid that I don't agree with you. Somebody requiring a wheelchair who is entitled to priority boarding due to being in a Suite or being a high loyalty status SHOULD be attended to prior to wheelchair users who aren't.

Would you think it's material that BMT had a wheelchair at her disposal, albeit in use as a trolley? See post 56:

I am also elderly and push our wheelchair loaded with medications, appliances etc. etc. to get on board - no way can I do gangways etc. with my mother sitting in it as well!!

I wonder (and this is not addressed to Selbourne) if some solution to the problem could have been found that involved the wheelchair which was presumably there all the time, whether or not P&O or ABP staff could have been allowed to assist using the passenger's own equipment.

Would you think it's material that BMT had a wheelchair at her disposal, albeit in use as a trolley? See post 56:

I am also elderly and push our wheelchair loaded with medications, appliances etc. etc. to get on board - no way can I do gangways etc. with my mother sitting in it as well!!

I wonder (and this is not addressed to Selbourne) if some solution to the problem could have been found that involved the wheelchair which was presumably there all the time, whether or not P&O or ABP staff could have been allowed to assist using the passenger's own equipment.

No, I don't think it's material whether the person had a wheelchair or not. Those wheelchair users entitled to priority boarding due to having paid for a Suite or through having achieved Caribbean loyalty status SHOULD be afforded that privelige over those wheelchair users who haven't. BMT wants people to be treated equally. These priveliges are available to able bodied cruisers, yet the logic of BMT's complaint is that if you are a wheelchair user you should lose any priority boarding privelige that you have earned or paid for!

Not that it's particularly relevant, but I don't believe that BMT had a wheelchair with them in this particular instance, as in two other posts they make comments such as "other passengers having got a wheelchair before my mother" and "when we eventually got a wheelchair" (post 51).

I have re-read all of BMT's complaint and follow up posts and would make the following additional comments;

BMT had a check-in time of 3.30pm but chose to arrive at 12pm, some three and a half hours early, expecting (wrongly) to be afforded priority boarding priveliges purely on the basis of her mothers age.

BMT goes on to say that they had to wait for "over an hour" to board. Well they would, because Suite passengers don't start boarding until 12.30pm and Caribbean and above passengers from 1pm. Did they expect to be given priority over those passengers? It seems as though they did. That is not P&O's fault. BMT completely misunderstood the boarding process. I'd like to know what time they boarded. Sounds to me as though they were still on board way before their 3.30pm designated slot.

I am confused by the claim that BMT's mother was left "shivering at the entrance". Once you have checked in, you wait in a designated area of the lounge. If waiting in a seat for over an hour when you have knowingly arrived three and a half hours early triggers illness that almost warrants a doctor and ruins the first few days of the holiday, then I would respectfully question whether the 102 year old lady was well enough to travel in the first place.

BMT says that they cannot use a Suite as they only have baths. This is incorrect. Suites have large free standing showers, separate to a whirlpool bath. That is why, as my wife is a wheelchair user, we pay extra for one on occasion (and in doing so enjoy the priority boarding privelige that we have then paid for).

BMT complains that they weren't allowed in to the private lunch venue in the dining room reserved for suite passengers and higher tier loyalty members. Well, we hate using the buffet as well, because my wife doesn't like overly crowded places (you feel quite vulnerable sitting low down in a wheelchair with loads of people crowding around you). Furthermore, she cannot collect her food herself, so I am up and down like a blue arsed fly. That's another thing we like when we have booked (and paid extra for) a suite. We can avoid the buffet. But on our next cruise we have booked an accessible cabin (not a suite) as my wife's condition has deteriorated. We wouldn't dream of trying to blag our way into the priority boarders Lunch venue on that occasion just because my wife is disabled and in a wheelchair. We will use the buffet like everyone else who isn't entitled to priority boarding.

The core of BMT's complaint is that they don't feel that disabled or elderly passengers who are ENTITLED to priority boarding (due to being in a Suite or high level loyalty tier) should be allowed it if they require assistance. I find that outrageous, especially as it is said in the same breath as feeling that everyone should be treated equally.

BMT seems to miss the irony that they don't actually want to be treated equally. They want priority treatment purely on the grounds of old age. My wife, on the other hand, who is severely disabled, understands that when we have paid for priority (in a suite) we will get it and when we haven't, we won't.

There are a lot of things that P&O could do better and getting everyone on board quicker is one of them, especially as other lines seem to manage it. But their treatment of disabled passengers, which we find to be excellent, is the main reason why it is now the only overseas holiday that my wife will now consider.

The problem is not the actual wheelchair - its the pushers!! They are limited. Its an outside Company and on all cruiselines there is usually a wait. BUT the clipboard says it all - first come first served on the other lines.

I am aghast at some of the answers on here. They really think that a frail 101-year old accompanied by an old lady, should be left sitting in the cold for an hour whilst those who have paid more are given immediate attention? Really? Just what sort of people are you really? Absolutely disgusting. She is supposed to be kept away from stressful situations because of heart problems and epi. She broke her leg both bones across and her foot was thus unattached to her leg. So her walking is problematic at the best of times.

Trying to pull holes in our plight - I am now wondering if we now have posters from the Pando company on here? Happens you know!! Called damage limitation.

Just to avoid any confusion here. All cruiselines have priority check-in for loyalty customers. What they DON'T have is priority for wheelchairs. I suppose on Pando suite guests also have priority for the toilets, etc. on board?:confused: In fact, nowhere in the Pando literature does it state priority for wheelchairs anymore than for toilets!!

WE can't pay for wheelchair priority as she can't get in a bath. All the suites, deluxe cabins we are offered have a bath.

Come on you entitled suite guests, keep going!! Show just what caring peeps you are - hope your money chokes you!!:evilsmile: We see many caring folks in the Care Home where we live. Visit for half an hour a week, if the resident is lucky. Arriving in expensive cars etc. and their parent is paid for by the tax payer. Great caring society we are living in.

Well, obviously Pando is not for people like us - we are just ordinary, normal people, with no thoughts of entitlement that money buys everything at other people's expense. We don't walk over people less fortunate, just because we have more money.

Keep the flames coming - always happens online. Just accept that 102 (she will be in June) year-olds and elderly daughters have problems travelling and all other cruiselines accept and acknowledge this and do all they can to help. Except Pando of course!!

Edited by BMT

As I said earlier I am now reporting back my embarkation experience. Yes we turned up early, got through with no delays although the terminal was busy we were all boarded quickly. We asked how boarding times are allocated and was told it was by deck number. ( this obviously excludes suites and loyalty card higher tiers). However there was a very bad accident on the M27 and many of those travelling down on the day were delayed, which did delay sailing time a bit. Fortunately it was not a crew changeover day which could have made the traffic situation worse. Also there was only 1 other cruise ship in.

We were also told P and O are more strict on Britannia. There was a message on the back of our parking notice to that effect.

BTW there are accidents most days on the M3 and M27 especially in the morning but it can cause delays well into the late afternoon and gridlock the roads.

Re the poster with the 102 year old mother. I am quite shocked at your experience and hope you have complained to P&O. The point of the DDA etc is that people are treated as individuals according to their needs. I believe there is quite a lot of case law around this issue so I hope you pursue a complaint and get the assurance you will not be treated like this on your next cruise.

As to quality of service etc. P&O prices have rocketed but sadly they have not spent their extra income on service yet. We have had a few years of price cuts matched by cuts in crew numbers etc but now prices are going back up they really should be thinking of improving things and cold stale food in the buffet, cold dry toast in MDRs for breakfast, in fact all food in the MDRs was cold on Friday evening but much better on Saturday night, staff looking tired etc

Cathy

Cathy prices may be going up slightly, but are still no where near where they were in 2001 when I started.

Cathy prices may be going up slightly, but are still no where near where they were in 2001 when I started.

Hi

One of the reasons prices are not as high as 2001 is that crew are now paid less than in 2001.

However a cruise I did in 2013 cost me £1700. Prices crashed after I booked and passengers in the same cabin grade paid around £1000. The cuts were beginning to show. If I booked the same cabin & cruise for 2018 I was quoted over £2500. Not a slight rise but I would expect service and quality to be much higher than it is today. P&O are just getting greedy, and their shares are doing well so they can afford to reinstate some of the little extras you higher tier customers used to have. I am not a higher tier but I can see there are fewer cleaners, waiters and cabin stewards.

I just love forums, such fun!

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Breath of fresh air!! You are quite right on all counts.

"Re the poster with the 102 year old mother. I am quite shocked at your experience and hope you have complained to P&O. The point of the DDA etc is that people are treated as individuals according to their needs. I believe there is quite a lot of case law around this issue so I hope you pursue a complaint and get the assurance you will not be treated like this on your next cruise."

I AM pursuing a complaint - but they are just repeating the mantra MUST MUST MUST and that everyone is treated equally. Which obviously they aren't if they are giving priority to suites!! Ridiculous replies - if we wern't going on another cruise with them, I would take it much further. Perhaps I should go on Rob Brydon's twitter and facebook and see what he thinks of his paymasters!!:D:D

That will be the last Pando though. Back to Cunard next winter. Although we do like the entertainment and specialty restaurants on Ventura. Wouldn't really take too much to get it back on track, but requires far better management.

I am heaving sighs of relief at the thought of our upcoming Celebrity cruise when the Eclipse once again hits our shores. I am so sad at what seems to be the decisions made by Pando executives - they have cheapened the experience - my memories of Pando are of a stellar experience - but that was 54 years ago. And I don't blame Carnival - they have some very good cruise products.

Once again, thank you for your support Cathy. I also find the forums great fun - and apart from one or two who are possibly not 'genuine' posters anyway (think TripAdvisor!) this has been a good humoured thread!!

I really think if someone is a bit poorly it should be dealt with in on a case by case situation, I do not think anyone would take offence if someone/anyone was boarded ahead of them because of a medical scenario.....given the age of ladies involved in this case I for one have no problem with P&O showing a bit of common sense and compassion boarding wise, eating wise or anything else wise, you would almost certainly get help/aid/common sense in a decent hotel so why not a cruise Ship? The assumption of some manipulation is really not warranted here surely given the age of ladies involved...good luck to the Lady(s) involved and I hope she has many more cruises and it would be an honour to meet and say hello to her I am sure.

I find it hilarious that just because I don't agree with BMT that they should be allowed to board three and a half hours purely early on the grounds that they are travelling with an elderly person, that I am dismissed as being a P&O employee! Anyone who has read many of my other posts, or my recent review of a short cruise on Ventura, will be laughing out loud.

I repeat. BMT bases their whole complaint on the fact that everyone should be treated equally, but entirely misses the irony that they wish to deprive those disabled passengers who are genuinely entitled to priority boarding (due to being in a Suite or due to loyalty status) of the early boarding privelige that their able bodied counterparts receive! They also wish to be given fast track priority purely on the grounds of age. Is that not treating people differently rather than equally?

I am very proud of my wife (who is a wheelchair user) that she doesn't 'play the disabled card'. As we grow older, I'm sure that she won't wish us to 'play the age card' either.

I have been quick to criticise P&O in the past for poor service. We first cruised with them in 1996 and it was quite an upmarket experience back then. Twenty years on, yes it is more of a mass market experience and, select dining restaurants aside, has deteriorated in most respects, but they have thousand of extra cabins to fill every week, so it's no wonder. But, in this case (and in my opinion) P&O are right to dismiss this complaint.

I would still love to know what time BMT boarded, given their 3.30pm designated slot. Although, given some of the ludicrous comments made, I'm not sure I would believe it.

Just wondering a few things -

1. what is the usual check out time in hotels in the UK In Oz it is normally around 10am - we usually go straight from hotel to port, although we are also looking at airbnb apartments, so we may be able to delay check out.

2. can you drop bags off early (around check out time of hotel) at the port, even if your embarkation time is later in the afternoon?

3. Port amenities/facilities - is there shops/eateries that type of thing there - or just toilets, vending machine for drink and uncomfy chairs? Just wondering if there is something to do for those hours awaiting embarkation?

4, and lastly, we will be doing our first b2b - so I believe that we can leave the ship on the 2nd cruise's embarkation day - can we come and go as we please, i.e if we want to go into town have breaky and a bit of a shop around, can we get back on before lunch time if we so desired, or do we have to wait to get back on in the afternoon when new passengers commence embarkation?

Quite excited about our first B2B but new procedures for us to learn. Thank you