QV Big Band Ball

Trevor Fountain

We were going to wait until next year to book our next cruise, but I have a weeks holiday in November which fits in perfectly with QV's Big Band Ball five nighter.

Our problem is thus. Neither of us do ballroom dancing, and neither do we care to. However we enjoy big band music, and would really enjoy the 'ball' evening. I will be fine in my tux etc., but my wife is fretting over not wearing a ball gown. Do you, who may have experience of Cunard Balls, think she would be ok to wear normal evening attire. It just seems a waste to buy a Ball Gown, for it only to be worn once.

Many people talk about 'gowns' for formal wear on-board. It might be a language difference but in my experience [Diamond, mostly on Victoria and a bit of a fan of lovely clothes] there are very very few ladies who wear what I term a proper gown, never mind a traditional ball gown but there are loads of ladies who wear great long dresses for a formal and a ball evening.

I have two dresses which I would say fit the gown category of long dresses and haven't taken them on Cunard for at least four years. Too much. I have maxi dresses which I sometimes wear on an informal evening and I have long dresses which hit the formal mark perfectly. I also have floaty tops and trousers which also fit a formal night on Cunard.

Your wife sounds as if she'll be fine.

Thanks. I thought she would. It's just that a lot of the Cunard promotional photo's we've seen show proper Ball Gowns, similar to 'My Fair Lady'.

Well, if you have the means, wardrobe and inclination, a Cunard Ball is a great occasion to do so, as the promotional photos suggest. But it's far from a requirement.

IMO, the women have far greater latitude than the men in choosing what to wear on a Cunard formal night. While the men are limited to a tuxedo (or dark suit) or appropriate national dress, women can run the gamut from full ballgown to a dressy/sparkly top and skirt or dressy trousers.

We were going to wait until next year to book our next cruise, but I have a weeks holiday in November which fits in perfectly with QV's Big Band Ball five nighter.

Our problem is thus. Neither of us do ballroom dancing, and neither do we care to. However we enjoy big band music, and would really enjoy the 'ball' evening. I will be fine in my tux etc., but my wife is fretting over not wearing a ball gown. Do you, who may have experience of Cunard Balls, think she would be ok to wear normal evening attire. It just seems a waste to buy a Ball Gown, for it only to be worn once.

I would also note that as an additional point on the dress your wife need not worry.

As you don't dance then The Queen Victoria has superb balconies above the ballroom where non participants can gain great views of the band and the dancers.

My wife and I love to dance but tend to avoid the big band nights as they tend to encroach onto the dance floor limiting the space.

Of course, as a feature of the cruise you could expect some 'Big Band' entertainment in the theatre.

I would also note that as an additional point on the dress your wife need not worry.

As you don't dance then The Queen Victoria has superb balconies above the ballroom where non participants can gain great views of the band and the dancers.

My wife and I love to dance but tend to avoid the big band nights as they tend to encroach onto the dance floor limiting the space.

Of course, as a feature of the cruise you could expect some 'Big Band' entertainment in the theatre.

That's really helpful Richard. Many thanks.