Cruising for the the first time in July

jiwdurando

"Pack light" is one of the most common pieces of advice, but is probably my least favorite.

I guess that's a personal preference.

On our first cruise, we packed way too much. It's just a hassle to deal with all that stuff.

These days it's one rolling carry-on per person (21" rollaboard or similar) and a backpack or two for electronics and wine for our family. We still find we bring back stuff we never wore or used. Granted, it probably helps that we get free laundry.

On a few ships I've been on there was one electrical outlet and a European style plug. We always pack an adapter for the Euro outlet so we will have 2. I like to take an extension cord for the little fan I put beside my bed. I always pack a large plastic cup with lid so I can take it up on deck while we're sunning-it keeps the ice from melting as fast. You can take your cup all around the ship if you want. Enjoy your cruise. I just booked #14.

On a few ships I've been on there was one electrical outlet and a European style plug. We always pack an adapter for the Euro outlet so we will have 2. I like to take an extension cord for the little fan I put beside my bed. I always pack a large plastic cup with lid so I can take it up on deck while we're sunning-it keeps the ice from melting as fast. You can take your cup all around the ship if you want. Enjoy your cruise. I just booked #14.

Thank you! Have a great time on your cruise!!!!

On our first cruise, we packed way too much. It's just a hassle to deal with all that stuff.

These days it's one rolling carry-on per person (21" rollaboard or similar) and a backpack or two for electronics and wine for our family. We still find we bring back stuff we never wore or used. Granted, it probably helps that we get free laundry.

Do you suggest a hard suitcase or soft duffle bags?

Thank you so much for the advice. I am like you I prefer to have extra just in case. I also sweat like crazy so I always take extra.

Good idea about the extension cord! Should we bring a little fan for the room? We are in an Ocean Suite if that helps.

Thank you so much!

I definitely recommend taking a fan. You never know how the room temp will be, so we always take fans. Amazon and Walmart have 10" fans that can be plugged and that use batteries.

Bring plenty of sunscreen and bug spray because it’s expensive on ship and at port. My boys eyes always bothered them in the pools so I’d bring goggles at least for the seven year old. I’d also bring a small assortment of pediatric OC medications including something for motion sickness just in case. Have a great cruise!

I take a nightlight for the bathroom. The bright fluorescent lighting in the bathrooms make midnight potty trips a BLINDING experience. This may also help with the kids if you have an inside room as those can get quite dark.

Buy lanyards for the kids with the sleeves that can hold their key cards. It makes them harder to lose :)

Download the Carnival Hub app or pay attention to your Fun Times schedule. It'll help you see what all is happening on the ship. try some new things! More fun to be had on these ships for sure!

Have a great time!!! :ship:

Enjoy your first cruise.

I love the Pride...was on three times this year and going back again in September. I like the smaller ships, even though it's not really "small."

Some good advice posted here...just relax and have fun!

I always bring liquid hand soap along; otherwise, you're stuck using the slivers of bar soap they provide. I also bring clothespins to hang wet bathing suits on the "string" that goes across inside the shower. If you think you will use the paper Fun Times, I would bring a highlighter to mark what you want to do (although nowadays they have it all on the online Hub). We order the bottles of water they sell ahead of time so they'll be in our room ready to go. Enjoy -- cruising is awesome!

Don't stress or over think anything, It's a vacation and should be enjoyed. When I step on to the ship my worries leave me. Let the sea calm you and have fun. That's what your there for

Thank you so much for the advice. I am like you I prefer to have extra just in case. I also sweat like crazy so I always take extra.

Good idea about the extension cord! Should we bring a little fan for the room? We are in an Ocean Suite if that helps.

Thank you so much!

As someone else mentioned, you never know if your cabin temp will be to your liking or not. For example, we'll be on the Glory in a few days and in the last few months, I've seen several people say their cabin was pretty warm. I can't sleep well when I'm hot and we like the white noise, so we always take my portable fan.

On our last cruise (our first) we made the mistake of waiting until the day before debarkation to do a little laundry, just so we weren't carrying a bunch of dirties home. I tried the laundry rooms on four different decks. Half of the machines were out of order and the other half were taken. This time we're going to try to do at least one load halfway through. If all goes well, we'll feel much more comfortable bringing less clothes next time.

I always make sure I bring antacids. All the heavy food and alcohol leads to heartburn, for me at least - even though I rarely, if ever, get it at home. Probably because I don't really drink outside of a cruise.

Outside of that, I don't really bring along anything that I wouldn't for a hotel stay - except less of it. You'll never see the people on the ship again so who cares if you wear the same shirt twice, as long as it's not dirty.

They will give you a fan if you need it ,don't take the kitchen sink :) just relax

Pack ahead of time then take out half of what you have packed you won't need it

Enjoy your selves and get ready to be hooked

I absolutely love Blue Cards. They are almost always upbeat and excited. 'This is so cool.' Sometimes the grizzled vets walk around and look for imperfection to complain about. Enjoy.

I would say that our absolutely most important items that we pack are:

1) the correct documents/ID for boarding

2) Sunscreen, and a lot of it!

3) a waterproof waist pouch to wear when we are in the water at the beach that holds our important things like ID, ship cards and money. Our swimsuit coverups/ sunscreen and such stay at our beach chair.

4) OTC meds that we commonly use, especially motion sickness, antacids, and pain reliever

Overall, it's kind of a learning experience. We keep a list now of the things we pack and take it with us on the cruise. If we feel like we are missing something or have brought something we didn't need, we modify the list accordingly.

Now, as for the cruise itself, my advice is to not overeat. On our first cruise we got caught up in the "all you can eat" thing on the first day and let me tell you, we felt pretty miserable. There are plenty of opportunities, especially on a 7 day cruise, to try all of the food that you want and still eat more than you usually would at home. Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I definitely recommend taking a fan. You never know how the room temp will be, so we always take fans. Amazon and Walmart have 10" fans that can be plugged and that use batteries.

I have that on my list already! Thanks so much!

Bring plenty of sunscreen and bug spray because it’s expensive on ship and at port. My boys eyes always bothered them in the pools so I’d bring goggles at least for the seven year old. I’d also bring a small assortment of pediatric OC medications including something for motion sickness just in case. Have a great cruise!

Great ideas!!!! Thanks!!!!!

I take a nightlight for the bathroom. The bright fluorescent lighting in the bathrooms make midnight potty trips a BLINDING experience. This may also help with the kids if you have an inside room as those can get quite dark.

Buy lanyards for the kids with the sleeves that can hold their key cards. It makes them harder to lose :)

Download the Carnival Hub app or pay attention to your Fun Times schedule. It'll help you see what all is happening on the ship. try some new things! More fun to be had on these ships for sure!

Have a great time!!! :ship:

I plan to take a nightlight, i hate waking up and not being able to see.

Buy lanyards before or on the ship?

Already have the app downloaded!!!

Thanks!!!!

I always bring liquid hand soap along; otherwise, you're stuck using the slivers of bar soap they provide. I also bring clothespins to hang wet bathing suits on the "string" that goes across inside the shower. If you think you will use the paper Fun Times, I would bring a highlighter to mark what you want to do (although nowadays they have it all on the online Hub). We order the bottles of water they sell ahead of time so they'll be in our room ready to go. Enjoy -- cruising is awesome!

Great ideas! Several items to add to my list!!!

I always make sure I bring antacids. All the heavy food and alcohol leads to heartburn, for me at least - even though I rarely, if ever, get it at home. Probably because I don't really drink outside of a cruise.

Outside of that, I don't really bring along anything that I wouldn't for a hotel stay - except less of it. You'll never see the people on the ship again so who cares if you wear the same shirt twice, as long as it's not dirty.

Antacids are a fantastic idea!!!!!

I’m addicted to Disney too (and Universal)! I only have 1 cruise under my belt, but I think I learned from some of my mistakes. Here’s what I learned so far. It’s already been said to bring OTC meds, and bring plenty (alka-seltzer, non-drowsy cold meds, non-drowsy allergy meds if you have those issues, anti-diarrea meds, pain reliever, melatonin if anyone has sleep issues, and Dramamine II or a generic equivalent. I used the Walgreen’s brand with no problems, but make sure it’s non-drowsy because regular dramamine isn’t.

1.Those scented diaper sacks in the baby aisle at Wal-Mart are good if you have to store or dispose of anything stinky (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sassy-Baby-Diaper-Sack-50-Ct/40485745).

2.Bring some lysol wipes in a travel pack. It helps to wipe things down while on an excursion.

3. A popup mesh hamper, wrinkle release and a travel bottle of Febreze.

4. In hindsight, I wished I packed wipes like these for our excursion (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ban-Total-Refresh-Cooling-Body-Cloths-Restore-10-Count/704168670) and a travel stick of deodorant. Between the sweat and the deet in the insect repellant, we felt sticky at the end and it would have been nice to wipe all that gunk off our arms, legs and face. TMI I know, but it would have been handy. Facial wipes to would also be a lot easier to transport instead of bars and bottles.

5. Some nice lounge wear like yoga pants and a nice t shirt would have come in handy for an early lido breakfast. Or in case you needed to travel around the ship at odd hours. We ate breakfast at 6 on disembarkation day, then went back to bed. If I had packed an outfit like this I could have slept more comfortably after breakfast and then wore it home.

Edited by NauticalNeophyte
Typo

Do you suggest a hard suitcase or soft duffle bags?

Either, but good wheels makes it easier to maneuver.

A few thoughts:

• order a package or 2 of bottled water for shore excursions - water on ship is fine, but bottled is fairly inexpensive
  • look at Bubbles vs. carry your own (12 cans/cartons pp) vs. just pay as you go for soft drinks (kids or non-drinkers)
  • each adult over 21 can bring a 750ml bottle of wine, David's steakhouse gives a comp. bottle of house wine or 50% off any other wine on 1st night and 1st formal night
  • consider Cheers vs. pay as you go
  • Arcade: There is a game where you play until you win a rubber duck (I think $1) - inexpensive souvenir. There is also a "power hour" where games are either 1/2 price or BOGO
  • review the Fun Times and Hub app for things that interest you, but allow time to just relax too - don't try to do everything
  • Sea Day Brunch and Tea Time can be nice options
  • our cards came with a hole punched, so you can clip the card directly to the lanyard if you want
  • playing cards are sometimes available at guest services

probably more, but that's what I could think of for now:)