Credit card payment for Canadian Cruises

xcell

I booked our cruise for next year a few days ago, and no extra fee was charged.

Sorry, I mean that the extra fee would be from your credit card company not the cruise line... It's like if you buy something in the USA with your CDN credit card, you will be charged a processing fee of 2-3% as well as their conversion fee.

Did you see anything on your CC?

Sorry, I mean that the extra fee would be from your credit card company not the cruise line... It's like if you buy something in the USA with your CDN credit card, you will be charged a processing fee of 2-3% as well as their conversion fee.

Yes, since the transaction is in USD, you would be dinged whatever your credit card's exchange rate is. I use this site to confirm rates. It allows you to add the mark-up that the issuing bank adds to the exchange rate.

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

Yes, since the transaction is in USD, you would be dinged whatever your credit card's exchange rate is. I use this site to confirm rates. It allows you to add the mark-up that the issuing bank adds to the exchange rate.

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

I'm pretty sure they're asking about a foreign transaction fee, not an exchange rate.

No extra fee charged by the cruise line or by the CC company. Just paid the exchange rate.

My card is with CIBC if that helps too.

I'm pretty sure they're asking about a foreign transaction fee, not an exchange rate.

Sorry, should have phrased it better. The site does allow you to calculate the cost of the transaction fee which issuers combine into the exchange rate shown on your statement.

yes the foreign transaction fee -- any way around it? other than using a american credit card

Xcell, there are Canadian credit cards that "don't" charge a fee. The one that comes to mind right away is the Rogers Mastercard. The reason I say "don't" in quotes is that they actually do charge a transaction fee of 2.5% but that is offset by the cashback they provide on foreign currency transactions (currently 4% but being lowered to 3% on May 23rd). There is another one that I quickly found issued by Home Trust. You'll probably have more luck finding a 0% foreign transaction fee among the smaller issuers, but like with anything else do you homework to make sure there aren't any surprises like Rogers that keeps saying 0% until you get into the Disclosure Statement where they actually admit to it being 2.5%.

The problem with using a USD credit card is that unless you generate a US income to pay it off with, the exchange rate you'll be charged by the bank will be roughly the same as what the total exchange rate including transaction fee you would have been charged on your CAD credit card.

Thanks for the info -- I wonder if any TA will change the USD to CDN without charging that 2.5% admin fee or do they just work it into the price so no matter what you get dinged. Now I wonder about the NCL and RCCL sites who quote in CDN.

I don't get it on my visa, you should check with your CC