Should we walk Dubrovnik Walls ?

Tedferg

We will be on a five hour tour, Mt Sdr, Catvat, Dubrovnik Old Town guided tour - then free time in Old Town. We are four active mid-70s and wonder if it is worth the effort to walk the walls. I have read that it takes 90 minutes and best to get there early before crowds. We would not ne there until mid-afternoon.

We can make a game time decision but thought it would be nice to have your input.

It is a climb to get up the steps to the top. Probably 20 or 30 steps. After that it is a lovely walk around. There are places you can stop and sit for a bit. There are also places you can go back down along the way. So if it is too much you can end early.

We enjoyed it and were mid 60's and about 70 when we did it.

I am old and have a torn ACL. I also have an incredible fear of heights. But I went up on the wall and it was well worth it. Only suggestion I would make is I went up stairs that were very narrow and had no guard rail. Found out later there are several places to go up so would have chosen a better place. If time is an issue you can like somebody said do a part walk. Enjoy

The views are outstanding! You don't need to walk the entire wall. We walked half way around (descending at the waterfront in order to visit the museum) because this was just 3 months after I had both hips replaced. I was using a cane still. As others have said, the initial steps are steep but during our half the wall walk we only encountered a few additional steps. I'm so glad I wasn't deterred by the initial steps.

It truly is a lovely walk - gives you the chance not only to see into the town itself, but also out towards the water. We thoroughly enjoyed walking the walls. About 1/3 of the way around from the ticket booth, there is a bar/café and an ice cream shop, which we stopped at for some cool refreshments. There are another two or three opportunities to go down into the town from the walls from there as well, though we walked the entire way around and enjoyed the views immensely. In fact, one of my 3 favourite pics from our trip was taken from the walls into the town center. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have a fantastic visit!

Yes, by all means if you can walk the wall, do it. As I recall, there was a little cafe about half way with shade, chairs and beer. We took a break there and even though it was a hot afternoon in July, were good to go the rest of the way. Be sure to have your camera as the views are breathtaking.

Yeah, I'm aware of that and don't want to get kunas. How did most people do it? Buy tickets once you're there or ahead of time?

We bought our tickets when we got there with a credit card. Piece of cake. We were there in late November and it was breezy and rainy in the morning so we did other things in town until it cleared out around 1pm. It was lovely and not crowded at all being off season and the weather probably scared some people off. I would absolutely do it as long as you have time and it is not too hot (or cold and rainy:D). There are other medieval walled cities around, but not with the walls intact that you can walk on. I also very much enjoyed walking up to the fortress just outside of the walls, which is included on the same ticket. It's quite a few steps to get up there, but provides a different and just as lovely vantage point.

Skip it if it’s raining. It’s slick and the umbrellas are a nuisance. But otherwise, definitely do it. You might find it less crowded if you start at the Ploče Gate by the marina instead of the usual Pile Gate, particularly if you are arriving with a surge of people. We used a credit card for our tickets.

Can you get tickets at the Ploce Gate though? Thanks for the info. to those of you above that helped.

Yes.

If entering the 'old town' from the Pile Gate, simply walk the Stradun towards the marina and take a left where it ends. The view of the old town is not to be missed from atop the Minceta Tower(the highest point along the wall).

There is an ATM @ the main bus station located right next to the ship (if docked in Gruz Harbor). It's a simple process to grab a few Kunas, as well as purchase an all day bus pass there. Easy Peasy.

local-bus-map-dubrovnik.jpg

It is a climb to get up the steps to the top. Probably 20 or 30 steps. After that it is a lovely walk around. There are places you can stop and sit for a bit. There are also places you can go back down along the way. So if it is too much you can end early.

We enjoyed it and were mid 60's and about 70 when we did it.

x2 on this. IMO, the best part of the walk is the section overlooking the sea. You can climb the wall right as you enter the city and walk along the southern section then exit. The views out to sea and overlooking the old town are fantastic.

Yes.

If entering the 'old town' from the Pile Gate, simply walk the Stradun towards the marina and take a left where it ends. The view of the old town is not to be missed from atop the Minceta Tower(the highest point along the wall).

There is an ATM @ the main bus station located right next to the ship (if docked in Gruz Harbor). It's a simple process to grab a few Kunas, as well as purchase an all day bus pass there. Easy Peasy.

Thanks so much for the help! (y)

I can't imagine going to Dubrovnik and not walking the wall. We only walked half way (on the sea side) but the views were amazing. Be sure to look for the Buza Bar. It is well hidden but quite unlike any place else we have ever stopped for a drink. In the afternoon we caught a ferry over to Cavtat and had a nice seafood lunch. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik!