Britannia - Breakfast Buffett

madmedic

Still round very crispy and if it gets anywhere within six foot of a knife it shatters across the plate. Even so it tastes nice on Aurora but I wasn't impressed with the taste on Britannia.
Ah,that sounds like the 2 year vintage.

Still round very crispy and if it gets anywhere within six foot of a knife it shatters across the plate. Even so it tastes nice on Aurora but I wasn't impressed with the taste on Britannia.

That’s a shame! I know it sounds silly, but the fried bread was one of the ‘for’ reasons for cruising with P&O. We are not loyal to any one line and have cruised with more than a dozen different lines. They all have their pros and cons. The old style fried bread made from normal bread was a strong point in their favour! As you say, the small circular stuff is rubbish when you try to cut into it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the point that the buffet is never served sufficiently hot enough for many of us, is our ability to get to the desired items before they are stone cold. The Goldie Lox lady with the the large spoon in her hand examining the condiments for her hot cereal, judging whether or not the chosen seven raisins are sufficient or shall we splurge and go for the full ten. The gentleman in front of the tray of sausages who suddenly remembers that he had forgotten the bacon to his left and steps back and forth with a stance of a professional tennis player. To move on ahead only brings cries of foul and besides, one must return if one is to complete their tray.

No, the dining room is where it is at. Although your waiter will need to run the gauntlet of a kitchen buffet in order to fill your order, he can do so without the niceties we are subjected to, delivering a warm plate containing our chosen items, including if desired a separate tiny bowl of raisins...

In addition to the point that the buffet is never served sufficiently hot enough for many of us, is our ability to get to the desired items before they are stone cold. The Goldie Lox lady with the the large spoon in her hand examining the condiments for her hot cereal, judging whether or not the chosen seven raisins are sufficient or shall we splurge and go for the full ten. The gentleman in front of the tray of sausages who suddenly remembers that he had forgotten the bacon to his left and steps back and forth with a stance of a professional tennis player. To move on ahead only brings cries of foul and besides, one must return if one is to complete their tray.

No, the dining room is where it is at. Although your waiter will need to run the gauntlet of a kitchen buffet in order to fill your order, he can do so without the niceties we are subjected to, delivering a warm plate containing our chosen items, including if desired a separate tiny bowl of raisins...

Pity it is at such an uncivilised hour. And takes such a long time. And the necessity to make conversation with strangers. And having to justify that you only want cereal and toast (which will be cold). No thankyou.

Pity it is at such an uncivilised hour.

I agree, it is ridiculous they close the MDR so early for breakfast.

And takes such a long time. And the necessity to make conversation with strangers.

Only if you let yourself be suckered into accepting a sharing table.

And having to justify that you only want cereal and toast (which will be cold). No thankyou.

No justification required. And if the toast comes cold I just send it back to be replaced.

We do like the Buffet for breakfast,we like to have a look to decide how much of a piggie to be,sadly unlike our first cruise on Britannia our recent experience had things like black pudding as the days' special,not very special,love it but it should be there every day IMO,yes fried bread that shattered into bits & worst of all unbelievably rude behaviour by many passengers made it quite a bun fight...sad!

I thought black pudding was always available,at least it was on the Aurora last year.I'd call items like devilled kidneys or kedgeree "specials".

I am sure black pudding was an everyday thing on our previous trip on Britannia but this time both black & white pudding(very,very nice!) were signed as specials every 2 or 3 days,the devilled kidneys & kedigree were specials too,the latter IMO tasted far better than it looked & hardly seemed to be touched by anybody other than myself!

I am sure black pudding was an everyday thing on our previous trip on Britannia but this time both black & white pudding(very,very nice!) were signed as specials every 2 or 3 days,the devilled kidneys & kedigree were specials too,the latter IMO tasted far better than it looked & hardly seemed to be touched by anybody other than myself!
Some people have no class,lol.Perhaps there should have been a bowl of tripe and onions.Having said that it's still popular in Southern Italy cooked in tomatoes and spices.

The only disappointment for me on the Britannia was the cooked breakfast in the buffet restaurant. Reminded me of an old fashioned service station where the food just sits under lights to keep it warm. The rest of the buffet was great with lots of pastries, fruit etc. Also can get extremely busy. The Mdr food was much better with great omelettes etc. You can choose a table for 2, but might have to wait a short while, but we met some lovely people at breakfast sharing larger tables. We like our own company, but a quick chat at breakfast was a nice change.

The only disappointment for me on the Britannia was the cooked breakfast in the buffet restaurant. Reminded me of an old fashioned service station where the food just sits under lights to keep it warm. The rest of the buffet was great with lots of pastries, fruit etc. Also can get extremely busy. The Mdr food was much better with great omelettes etc. You can choose a table for 2, but might have to wait a short while, but we met some lovely people at breakfast sharing larger tables. We like our own company, but a quick chat at breakfast was a nice change.

Still far too early.

Still far too early.

Unfortunately, I am like a child with a fear of missing anything, so up early even on holiday. Would rather get up early than fight with the hordes at 10 on a sea day. Each to their own. That is the good thing about cruising, we have choices.

How is the fried bread these days? It is over two years since I last cruised with P&O and they had changed the fried bread to not so nice little circular pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's now hard round rings rather than the old triangles with a softer centre, you need to soften it with baked beans or tinned tomatoes.

Similarly the toast is too thin and over cooked, you can ask for thicker toast but be prepared for giant sized ones.

However the buffet food is generally hot and plentiful and anyone who cannot find something they like must be very fussy.

It's now hard round rings rather than the old triangles with a softer centre, you need to soften it with baked beans or tinned tomatoes.

Similarly the toast is too thin and over cooked, you can ask for thicker toast but be prepared for giant sized ones.

However the buffet food is generally hot and plentiful and anyone who cannot find something they like must be very fussy.

Yes, that sounds like the horrid circular stuff I was talking about. Much too hard. Bring back the triangles I say!