QM2 to host film premiere

Host Hattie

It isn't just the delayed departure that offends, its the fact that some - and I suspect a lot - of public areas will be out of bounds on the first evening.

Arrogance on the part of Cunard - they'll obviously make more in terms of cash and (perceived) prestige, so why bother that they're grabbing something repeat customers have already paid for?

They speak of "valued customers" in their correspondence. The real valued customer is the film company and its large cheque. When that gets waved around, they lose interest in regular passengers. But I bet they'll continue to bombard us with brochures. Well, more fool them.

The fact they won't talk to me, our travel agent or the firm selling the overall package speaks volumes, I think.

I am glad that the QM2 was built and I do understand the income that Cunard will get from this film premier. But you are right that to make up for this silly film premier charade, Cunard should make it up to loyal passengers like you aboard the QM2 for this Dec. 8th crossing being disrupted by this silly film premier charade by offering a discounted fare for a future crossing or cruise. Regards,Jerry

I will be on this sailing. Very exciting for me, just have to stay up to watch us leave NY. Sure it will give us an extra buzz for the evening. Plenty of other days on board to explore...

This sailing will be the return leg of our Caribbean cruise to Southampton so with the later departure we are rather hoping for some extra time in lovely NY fingers crossed, if my DW also catches a glimpse of the stars in the evening that would be a bonus.

any idea on what is the latest time we can board if departure at midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cunard just updated my TA. Latest boarding/check in at 4pm (starts at noon). Everyone must remain on board for the muster drill which will take place at the normal time.

Cunard just updated my TA. Latest boarding/check in at 4pm (starts at noon). Everyone must remain on board for the muster drill which will take place at the normal time.

Thanks. Thoughts are board late (4pm) and then post Muster droll get the ferry into Wall Street area or just stay on board and relax.

Cunard still won't talk to us about this! No response to email (should be within four days). No response to call back request (should be within 24 hours).

Yet they have the audacity to call us "valued customer" in emails. The only value Cunard attach any importance to is money and clearly a Hollywood film company is giving them rather more than we are. So despite having paid up, we get elbowed aside to make way.

Aside from that situation, our check in time is noon, so what happens if we turn up at 3pm?

Also what time is the muster - its a few years since we've done this trip, I'm thinking just before the 5pm departure?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dear Hostess Hattie,

Thank you Maam for all your doing and it is well.

We arrive back on the QM-2 too the A.D. 2017 , 8th of December, Friday we would have left Black Sunday November 26th.

The Old Navy Pier 12 which became a Road Salt pier and the last Brooklyn Borough President Marty made all us area Cruisers happier with more cruise ships and a great area too.

Across is Governors Island , part of Manhattan and the NPS.gov ( National Park Service) m which was the first settlement and fort started by that Moon Ship.. yes Henry Hudson, under the Dutch Flag.

A FYI: This island was used as well to pasture sheep, goats, and cattle which could wade across before the US Navy dredged so as US Navy Warships could come about here right before World War Two.

Are you coming over what was the Old Cod Pond now ?

Edited by AAAAmerican

All very interesting and as a "Cunard luvvie", I rarely complain (normally little to complain about), but I do feel that there is a certain arrogance with regards to the cruise in question. To take people's hard earned money for to some what may well be the trip of a lifetime and then to forbid them to visit certain parts of the ship for Cunard's ends seems out of order.

There may be some "glitz and glamour", sailing out of New York at midnight should be a wonderful sight, but when people originally booked the cruise they should have been made aware of the possibility of restrictions of access to parts of the ship on certain occasions.

David

We are on that cruise (actually the round trip from Southampton) but as of tonight we haven't heard a peep from Cunard - not even the letter everyone else seems to have received by email - Cruise Critic should bill them for the communication service ;)

> We are on that cruise (actually the round trip

You know, I think at least one other passenger who hasn't received the email is on a back-to-back. Are you booked on M745, or some other cruise number? I'm wondering if Cunard only sent the "premier email" to those booked specifically on M745.

We are on that cruise (actually the round trip from Southampton) but as of tonight we haven't heard a peep from Cunard - not even the letter everyone else seems to have received by email - Cruise Critic should bill them for the communication service ;)

I've not heard a word either........

Jennie

This has been an interesting read. I have to say I understand the disappointment in Cunard over this situation. I have never done a transatlantic cruise, and if this was my first or even one of many, I think I would be upset. I think everyone on board should be given some compensation, be a free bottle of wine/ free cocktail or at the very least, be given an exclusive showing to the film, i.e just for the guests on the ship. It’s the very least they could do considering they are disrupting the sailing of the ship. I feel for everyone affected by this. And wish Cunard would think more about their customers than the money they make from this.

Still no response from Cunard to our requests for a phone back or written emailed reply to our concerns. No surprise there, of course. Our travel agent has still had no response after making the same enquiries on our behalf.

Nice firm to deal with, after taking customers' money, refuse to talk to them when the goalposts are moved. Something all should remember.

And the muster time will remain as normal, meaning boarding times can't just be shifted back by six or seven hours. Muster could be done later, of course, under normal circumstances with a midnight departure. But we wouldn't want fare-paying passengers getting in the way of the film premiere, would we?

Arrogance and cynicism in its purest form from Cunard, I'm sad to say.

You might expect the premiere disruption to be mentioned in current literature for those who have not yet booked.

But that would be to assume Cunard cared about its customers. It doesn't. It just cares about relieving them of money, then doing exactly what the company wants in order to make even more money.

As I said, the pinnacle of cynicism and arrogance.

A further update.

Just received the information from Cunard. Among offers for how to enjoy the extended stay in NYC:

20% off tickets Radio City Rockettes with discount code QUEEN. Unfortunately, as per the linked website, discount for code QUEEN is only available on/after 10 December 2017. QM2 sails 8 December 2017.

Savings on tickets (quantity not defined) for Phantom of the Opera. Unfortunately, saving cannot be determined without creating sign on account with linked website.

Perhaps Cunard will arrange an excursion to see Phantom, or at the very least an official transfer to Manhattan. Will have to wait and see what is available when we ge onboard.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Forums mobile app

If you wait to see what's available when you get on board, I suspect you'll be sorely disappointed, moldgirl.

Cunard's offer so far has been a 20 per cent discount on (doubtless expensive) theatre tickets and no transport to get there or back.

If that's as deep as they want to dig for those who have already paid up at this point, it is difficult to imagine a crater of generosity suddenly opening up when passengers step on board...

I may be wrong, of course. But Cunard's refusal to even discuss the matter with me would suggest my prognosis is accurate! Let's wait and see.

Since Carnival's ( CCL/CUK : NYSE/LSE ) Cunard Line is sending eMails to Register for a Win of this Film contest ..

https://www.cunard.com/campaigns/greatest-showman-sweepstakes

but trying to do that now is not well. maybe too many want to register a chance?

Where the Cunard vessels dock , usually, in Red Hook, Brooklyn, NYC, NY at Pier 12.

Most know, No Subway in Red Hook etc.. you do have that Expensive 2 Way TOLL Battery Tunnel.

Getting to see shows in (Town) Manhattan is not the easiest from Red Hook..

At least QM2 will have some publicity for this. ( See i did find an atribute!)

For people staying in the Greater NYC area:

Stay in New Jersey at usually 60-85 % less and the same benefits in your Hotel Chains benefits too.

Ask about transport, parking etc..

Do your research and well. So many places and things to do.

Edited by AAAAmerican

Has it been stated anywhere, specifically, that the stars are actually attending? I've attended premiers that hosted all those involved in the production, but the stars didn't attend as they don't have much desire to mingle with grunts. And I'm rather doubtful that boarding the QM2 is much of an incentive for this group.

Has it been stated anywhere, specifically, that the stars are actually attending? I've attended premiers that hosted all those involved in the production, but the stars didn't attend as they don't have much desire to mingle with grunts. And I'm rather doubtful that boarding the QM2 is much of an incentive for this group.

Quite right, the Cunard press release makes no specific mention of the stars attending the premier that I can see. However, one indication I have seen that tends to indicate the stars might actually be attending the premier is found on this page from the Cunard web site.

http://www.cunard.com/cunard-experience/articles/the-greatest-showman/

Near the top of that page is this statement.

"In partnership with 20th Century Fox, our flagship ocean liner Queen Mary 2 is hosting the first-ever floating, movie premiere. This December, we are rolling out the red carpet for the glittering premiere of The Greatest Showman and its a-list stars Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zendaya, Zac Efron and Rebecca Ferguson."

Regards, John

Brigittetom has hit the nail on the head - wonderful photo ops for the QM2, aka, good publicity for Cunard. At the expense of those who have already paid to use the ship.

The pinnacle of arrogance and cynicism, as I have said previously. And as the days pass, still no contact from Cunard (which is no longer a surprise to us).....