Bridge

Bridge Couple

WE ARE CRUISING ON THE PRINCESS ROYAL 10/21/2017. We are crossing the Atlantic and we are avid BRIDGE COUPLE.

If one is interested in getting together on seas days my wife and are very interested. She also plays Mar Jong and I am learning the game.

Looking forward to hearing from bridge players.

Thanks,

Irene and Mike

Time and place for bridge will be in the Patter on sea days. Of course you can make a date with others for anytime.

Several cruises, passengers have gotten together and organized a duplicate game in the afternoon. We usually had about 6 or 8 tables.

WE ARE CRUISING ON THE PRINCESS ROYAL 10/21/2017. We are crossing the Atlantic and we are avid BRIDGE COUPLE.

If one is interested in getting together on seas days my wife and are very interested. She also plays Mar Jong and I am learning the game.

Looking forward to hearing from bridge players.

Thanks,

Irene and Mike

Join the roll call for your cruise.

We both play bridge, BUT NEVER ON A CRUISE.

Why? Being European we do not use the Standard American bidding system and we have found that most US bridge players do not like playing against people who do not use a system based on five card majors.

I actually stopped after experiencing some very accusative criticism during an on board hosted session where the host (who was also running bridge classes) made it very clear that people who used a system different to the one he was teaching were not welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We both play bridge, BUT NEVER ON A CRUISE.

Why? Being European we do not use the Standard American bidding system and we have found that most US bridge players do not like playing against people who do not use a system based on five card majors.

I think Princess stopped having bridge directors to organize lectures and games. There was a thread here some time ago.

I wouldn't mind playing against someone who plays 4-card majors, a strong club system, strong two bids, etc. We recently had an Irish woman visit my local club. She played with a great partner who was willing to play her system.

My problem with playing bridge on a cruise is that the quality isn't great. On a HAL cruise (where there was a bridge director), one partner once put down a pretty 11-card dummy. My right-hand opponent had 15 cards in her hand. Neither one noticed. That bridge director eventually paired me up with a competent partner, and we did great together.

• 2 months later...

Princess does not have a bridge director on board. Princess does allocate some time and space for open card and other game playing. If I remember correctly on the Royal it was in the afternoon in the Allergo DR. There is no card room on the Royal Princess. There are some tables around the main pool where people play cards, but it may be too windy and cool on a transatlantic.