Ruby Princess and Rum Runners...

klfhngr

I made up 4 "welcome aboard gifts" for friends I was traveling with. I included mini-bar bottles of cognac from previous Princess cruises. I got "caught" while going through San Pedro security. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong since these bottles came from a previous Princess cruise. I was shocked to say the least, but complied. They found all four gifts.

OK, I will ask you. How do you know?

We were called down to the naughty room and asked us to open our bag. While they were rifling through our bag I was looking in the bins to see what was in them. I got an eye full! They found nothing in our luggage and apologized for the confusion. I should have demanded that they give us a free bottle of wine for the aggravation.

Was it because you got caught and had to visit the "naughty room" [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope didn't get caught with anything, we were clean. It was amusing though looking in the bins of stuff that was confiscated. I saw a coffee percolator, a waffle iron, an electric frying pan, and a host of irons. Saw lots of expensive bottles of booze. We buy the wine package and are happy with that.

I made up 4 "welcome aboard gifts" for friends I was traveling with. I included mini-bar bottles of cognac from previous Princess cruises. I got "caught" while going through San Pedro security. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong since these bottles came from a previous Princess cruise. I was shocked to say the least, but complied. They found all four gifts.

Oh, that really sucks! What's the saying....No good deed goes unpunished. I'm guessing that you had it in your carryon, not trying to hide it at all?

Sorry to come across as a pedant again, but Commonwealth countries are independent. I guess you were probably meaning Empire countries?

Don't think we have of those anymore though. They appear to now be independent and, in the main, part of the Commonwealth.

`

I was referring to 1776 when the colonies belonged to England (or whatever it was called then). At the time the fake native Americans illegally boarded the ship, seized the barrels of tea and through them into the bay later to be referred to as the Boston tea party. The then colonies revolted and formed what is now the United States. Had they not revolted they would still be in a similar position as Canada and Australia.

On one of the Princess cruises last year, my DW forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. We boarded with the first group. My luggage arrived in the normal time but my DW's luggage did not arrive until almost 7 PM. It had been opened but the bottle of wine was still in the bag and very prominent. So no trip to the luggage claim area (aka naughty room) and they did not remove the bottle nor did they charge us the corking fee.

Nope didn't get caught with anything, we were clean. It was amusing though looking in the bins of stuff that was confiscated. I saw a coffee percolator, a waffle iron, an electric frying pan, and a host of irons. Saw lots of expensive bottles of booze. We buy the wine package and are happy with that.

They use the same bins full of stuff every cruise, it’s to send a stern message out

Now why in the world would someone take a waffle iron on a cruise?

I "think" that most bring booze aboard not to save money, but to have something in the room to have while getting ready for dinner./quote]

One can order 375ml liquor bottles from room service, and have it in your room to make drinks before dinner.

One certainly can,but Princess carry’s two brands of scotch that I don’t care,for but puts my favorite in the minibar in tiny bottles.On HAL,I can buy a liter of Dewars and it will be waiting in the cabin.Much easier than walking back from the bar with watered down drinks.

I have heard of people giving chocolates to stewards as part of their tip but guess giving a waffle iron could be someones idea of a tip:)

Possibly is was meant as a gift for someone that they would be seeing at one of their port stops. We have been on private excursions where people have brought specific items as gifts for guides.

Wife and I were thinking of that.... But she only has a drink before dinner and one before bed... I'll find out if they have GM in the small bottles on board... We can always order before the cruise and have it sent to her room.

So you thought of the drink package, but to save the cost of 2 drinks a day (since you can certainly BUY her drinks on board) you want to go the smuggling route?

Now why in the world would someone take a waffle iron on a cruise?

I wondered that myself and the image of it in the bin stuck with me. I enjoy telling the story about going down to the naughty room and seeing all the stuff that's been confiscated. Dunno if it's a message to anyone as someone suggested here. It's not in me to bring a waffle iron, a percolator, or a frying pan on a cruise. I have brought a travel iron but that was way before they weren't allowed. I do hide my power strips though, I don't trust leaving them out in plain sight.

P.s. I forgot to mention that the waffle iron looked like it had been used - many times.

I wondered that myself and the image of it in the bin stuck with me. I enjoy telling the story about going down to the naughty room and seeing all the stuff that's been confiscated. Dunno if it's a message to anyone as someone suggested here. It's not in me to bring a waffle iron, a percolator, or a frying pan on a cruise. I have brought a travel iron but that was way before they weren't allowed. I do hide my power strips though, I don't trust leaving them out in plain sight.

P.s. I forgot to mention that the waffle iron looked like it had been used - many times.

Now I can understand a foreman grill. Great to use if you go fishing off your balcony and catch something.:)

I wonder where they thought they would get the waffle batter from? Room service?:D

One certainly can,but Princess carry’s two brands of scotch that I don’t care,for but puts my favorite in the minibar in tiny bottles.On HAL,I can buy a liter of Dewars and it will be waiting in the cabin.Much easier than walking back from the bar with watered down drinks.

Knowing johnmik......those drinks would never make it all the way back to the cabin.