Excursions/walking tours

zwolinski

Many thanks! I don't think I would have found it without your helpful, step-by-step instructions.

One followup question. Is it OK to make our own way back to the ship after an included tour? For instance, in Rome, could we use the included tour as a means to get into the city, and go on all (or part) of the tour, and then just tell the guide we'll make our own way back to the ship?

In some ports (but not all, so likely not Rome or Florence or others so far from port), Viking runs free shuttle buses from a designated location back to the ship multiple times a day. We used this service in both Athens and Dubrovnik to remain after our tours ended and wander around on our own. The included tour in Dubrovink was quite good, and then we had time to walk the walls and eat lunch on our own.

I would suggest the better approach would be to ask the guide where and when to meet the bus for the return trip. Then knock yourselves out sightseeing in Rome, knowing that once on the Viking bus you can collapse in happy exhaustion knowing that you will be safely shepherded back to the ship.

When there were not Viking shuttles (which were great and we really enjoyed that offering from Viking) We did exactly this in a number of ports - we will still tip driver and guide so no one looses out - we get to explore that port as we choose to. Just be back to the bus on time!;) This works best I think for walking tours.....the mostly bus tours are often not a good choice for this approach....as they are not in stationary locals.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

We are on the Majestic Mediterranean itinerary in February, so we'll be overnighting in Rome. Plenty of time to explore and enjoy. :)

We're doing it in January (over New year's eve). Our plan is take the train into Rome on the first day (when we don't expect them to be running any tours because it is an embarkation day and because we don't have to rush back for a 6pm departure) and then to take an optional tour to Ostia (which was the major port for the city of Rome in Roman times; in other words, more Roman ruins) on the second day, if it is offered. If we don't go to Rome on the first day, we are considering going to Tarquina by bus for the Estruscan ruins. We have been to Rome before, so seeing more of the country side is an option. For the two days in Florence, we are planning on taking the train to Florence on day 1 and to see someplace we haven't seen before on day 2 (still deciding, optional tour vs train to Lucca).

We're doing it in January (over New year's eve). Our plan is take the train into Rome on the first day (when we don't expect them to be running any tours because it is an embarkation day and because we don't have to rush back for a 6pm departure) and then to take an optional tour to Ostia (which was the major port for the city of Rome in Roman times; in other words, more Roman ruins) on the second day, if it is offered. If we don't go to Rome on the first day, we are considering going to Tarquina by bus for the Estruscan ruins. We have been to Rome before, so seeing more of the country side is an option. For the two days in Florence, we are planning on taking the train to Florence on day 1 and to see someplace we haven't seen before on day 2 (still deciding, optional tour vs train to Lucca).

Rome in Oct 2018 Med Odyssey cruise. Was thinking of optional if offered or private to Etruscan ruins in Tarquinia (30min) or Archeological Park Roman port city of Ostia (1 HR)

Let us know how what you decide works out.

I injured my right leg and usually used just a cane but for into the midnight sun cruise, I purchased an all terrain walker from volaris. It weighs only about ten pounds so it was easy for staff to put it on bus as it folds. For myself, it was great because it was easy to go over cobblestones, curbs, dirt, and grass. For going through some doorways, I just folded the seat a little and I was able to get through doorways easily. As for keeping up with other travelers, I found that some of the travelers who had no walking issues were usually the last to get on the bus. I always made sure that I was back to the bus at least five minutes before we were told to be back, that way, I had time to climb onto bus without a hassle.

Rome in Oct 2018 Med Odyssey cruise. Was thinking of optional if offered or private to Etruscan ruins in Tarquinia (30min) or Archeological Park Roman port city of Ostia (1 HR)

Let us know how what you decide works out.

Phil, happy to but remind me please January 5 for feedback. I will forget between now and then. I was planning on doing a live thread but sometimes for me that falls into the category of "best laid plans."