Alaskan Dream Cruises

HulieVA

My wife and I just returned from a terrific eleven-day cruise (5/10-20/2012) aboard the Alaskan Dream, a spiffy and comfortable forty-passenger catamaran (motorized), through the inside passage of southeastern Alaska.

*We highly recommend the Alaskan Dream for a glorious intimate Inside Passage experience. *The value, the company and its staff, the ship, and wonder of southeast Alaska can't be beat.

*First, the ship: *Clean, well-maintained, and surprisingly elegant compared to expectations from the company website (the photos on the site do not do it justice). *The first deck forward lounge comfortably sat twenty-five folks or so on arm chairs and a ship's width settee, with ample wraparound windows to enjoy the scenery. The very well-appointed bar served top-shelf brands and a wide variety of excellent international and US wines. *The lounge was the spot for pre-breakfast coffee, fruit and pastries, all-day socializing or reading, end-of-day drinks and tasty hors d'oeuvres, and post-dinner lectures and programs, which included culture, anthropology, geology, local politics, and history. *A lot of new friendships were made here. A partially-covered top deck observation area was perfect to view the countryside as we cruised, offering clear lanes for photography and video. In addition, there were decks at the stern on the second and third decks, plus two observation wings leading off the bridge that were also ideal for viewing. Smoking was permitted only outside on one of the stern decks. *Another plus - cabin entry was from an inside hallway rather than from outside which meant avoiding weather and offering better views from the cabin windows. *We had no problems with seasickness on the trip; the boat was stable and performed well during the brief times of choppy seas.

*Second, the food: The executive chef on board offered an ever-changing menu for each lunch and dinner, including soup, salad, entree, and dessert. *Flavors ran an international gamut, including Italian, Thai, Japanese, Cajun, and Indian. Local seafood was often spotlighted: king crab, salmon, halibut - but every lunch and dinner included a meat or poultry and a vegan alternative. (The vegans and gluten-free passengers aboard seemed very satisfied with those offerings.) *Some of us foraged fiddlehead ferns on a hike one morning and contributed them to the chef, who conjured up a tasty sea salt and garlic sauté as a dinner side that night. *Fresh fruit and vegetables were always part of the meals. Platings were imaginative and, most importantly, delicious. Full breakfasts - a special entree plus eggs and sides to order, as well as bagel and lox (!) - were served most mornings (twice breakfast buffets preceded early morning excursions). *Everyone gained weight on this trip. The dining room was attractively set for tables of six for all meals. *No assigned seating, we sat with everyone over the course of the trip.

*Third, our accommodations: a fairly roomy cabin, full-size bed with a comfortable mattress and pillows, good linens, a bedside table, cushioned armchair, decent-sized closet with dresser drawers, room to store two duffels easily under the bed, sink with medicine cabinet, and two large bed-to-ceiling windows offering great light and views as we sailed. *The shower and toilet were in an enclosed space, a shower curtain kept the toilet dry during showers. Toilet and showers worked perfectly with hot water and good pressure.

*Fourth, the wonderful staff and crew: a mix of experienced hands and newbies, they were - without exception - personable, enthusiastic, helpful, hard-working, and friendly. *First-name basis was the ambience on board for all from the get-go. *The captain was passionate about the boat and the trip, offering his perspectives on the wildlife and towns and insights on navigating the channels and bays. *He and his energetic crew welcomed us onto the bridge at all times - it was an ideal hangout for photography and conversation. *The shipboard experts in Alaskan culture, history, politics, and nature, offered worthwhile insights into the state and introductions to the next day's activities each evening. *We were joined by two park rangers for our foray onto Glacier Bay - their knowledge of the flora and fauna, geology, and local village cultures enhanced our day in that glorious park. Local guides led many of the on-shore excursions. The entire trip was professionally managed, with quick responses to the very few issues that came up (needed an extension cord, locked out of room). *A team met us at the airport, transported us to our hotel, picked up our luggage and took it to our cabins on the boat, and at trip end, brought the luggage to the airport counter for us. The cruise supervisor on board was resourceful in providing alternative activities when a gale-force storm made the original plan unworkable. *And when a town festival popped up on the calendar, the team switched around the itinerary so we could participate in the fun, even though it meant backtracking twice through a difficult channel. *The cruise line owners, Allen Marine, have been living and working in southeast Alaska for decades. They know the area intimately and - it seems - everyone in southeast knows and loves them. *Locals were genuinely excited to know we were cruising on the Allen family's Alaskan Dream and not a mega-ship.

*Fifth, the trip itself: spectacular vistas, plentiful wildlife, fascinating excursions, and mostly decent weather. *Although the first couple of days were windy and wet (it IS a rainforest), the remainder of the trip was a combination of in-and-out sun with spotty showers and glorious sunny days when it really counted: Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, and Misty Fjords. *We were well-prepared with a couple of layers (shirt and fleece hoodie) plus a waterproof windbreaker pullover pants. *We got everything we were looking for. *Flora: vast spruce and cedar forests, hikes thru bogs and estuaries. Fauna: brown and black bear, moose, sea otters, land otters, one porcupine, mountain goats, humpback whales, Minke whales, orcas galore, Dall's porpoises racing the boat, harbor seals, stellar seals, sea lions, and more. Birds - a birder's paradise: bald eagles, blue herons, mergansers, puffins, wigeons, kittiwakes, arctic terns, gulls, geese, hawks. (When something was spotted, the captain maneuvered closer and lingered while we snapped photos or just oohed and aahed.) Impressive, informative museums in Sitka (don't miss the Sheldon Jackson museum of native crafts), Juneau, Petersburg, and Thorne Bay. *A haunting, spiritual hike from Kasaan to a 19th century Haida whaling house with several 18th and 19th century totem poles inside and nearby. *An invigorating jetboat trip out of Wrangell up the Stikine River to view wildlife, remote float houses, glacier sloughs and sluices. *The wonderful folks we met in every town, who were eager to talk about their home towns and villages and lives with us, and their fervor for living in southeast Alaska. *Awe-inspiring mountains, sparkling blue and diamond glaciers and icebergs, tumbling waterfalls, steep and narrow fiord cliffs...we miss these the most in New Jersey. *Excursions and activities were not strenuous - this is not a trip for ambitious trekkers - but on-shore opportunities abounded for trail-hiking and there was one day at the company's Hobart Bay facility that offered kayaking and Zego boating in quiet waters among wildlife filled islands, and ATV rides along rising logging roads.

*Finally, our traveling companions: an international coterie of mostly senior citizens, many retired, but NOT OLD. *Our new friends were engaged, worldly, sophisticated, down-to-earth, and wonderful conversationalists. *We hiked, explored and learned together. *As you can imagine, on a small boat with a small group, you get close quickly, and this intimate experience is another advantage of this cruise.

*As we said, the Alaskan Dream cruise is a terrific voyage. *Highly recommended.

*IMPORTANT! - this is NOT a trip for children. *There are long, long stretches of time spent on board contemplating scenery and socializing with new friends which would surpass the attention spans of toddlers and pre-teens. *The ship is not an entertainment-packed megacruiser, so there aren't multimedia and games for the kiddies. Many of the excursions were cultural and anthropological in nature and would have bored youngsters. Some teens might get into it if they are particularly interested in natural wonders and history - certainly the day at Hobart Bay would entertain them. *But be aware, a significant portion of the trip is out of cell phone and internet reach and there is no wireless on the ship. *The Lindblad ship arrived in Petersburg shortly after us - there were many families on board that ship - and we watched with amazement as several teens poured off that ship and remained on the dock, noses buried in their smartphones, texting furiously, while dozens of eagles swooped overhead, diving for salmon scraps from the local canneries. *Take this comment as you will, kids and teens would have markedly changed the adult character of our trip, not for the better.

Hi, HulieVa -

Fair enough...I am only reflecting on how I feel that small children and teens might have changed the ambience of the experience for the group I was with. I am glad your family had a terrific trip and that your grandkids took advantage of the experience. My point is that parents should be honest about whether their kids can handle this type of vacation and be mindful of the impact of a bad guess on other travelers. Thanks for your reply!

Harold

Edited by hmh1949

Julie, we are also staying at the Totem Pole, but are getting there the day before the cruise. Looking forward to meeting you, and to the cruise. Thanks so much, Harold, for posting such a great recap. This is going to be GREAT.

We arrive the 14th, anyone else? We can meet at the hotel. We'll be salmon fishing on the 15th and have dinner reservations at Ludwig's both evenings (14th and 15th). They told me to book there early and cancel if we change our minds. Heard it's fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Alaskan Dream Northbound from Ketchikan to Sitka in June 2013. Has anyone done the Northbound trip? Reading the reviews so far has really made me feel like we made the right choice! I hope that those of you going on this ship this summer will conitnue to post reviews and suggestions!

We returned last night from a trip of a lifetime! My husband said it "felt like we were visiting Alaskan friends and they were showing us their Alaska!" The scenery was breathtaking, the staff was unbelievable, food was over the top (FIVE STARS all the way). Please reply if you have specific questions. I'm now truly spoiled and do not plan to travel on larger ships any longer. Loved the intimacy, the education, and the good friends we made in this short time. Alaskan Dream Cruises leaves out NO details, they take care of everything! The day in Hobart Bay will be one of my all time favorite experiences. If you have only seen Alaska on a large ship, you must take these voyages for a new perspective.

JulieBen & Kellyb57

Thank you so much for your reviews

My husband & I are cruising the '8 day Glacier Bay' on 26 Aug

I have cruised a big ship from Anchorage years ago & it was nice.

I am really looking forward to this voyage - it sounds great!

we will pack some rain gear & fleece

Oh, how was Ludvig's?

Thanks again

Barbara

It was outstanding! Make reservations. We walked in and were overwhelmed by the fantastic smells. It was delicious, we had the fresh white salmon. As it turned out we had gone fishing earlier in the day and had also caught an Alaskan White King Salmon. Now we can't wait to eat it at home. If you are able, try to go fishing while in Sitka. If you are interested, here is who we used:

Howard Merkel Charters

salmonandhalibut.com

Howard was personable, answered all our questions and took wonderful care of us on our fishing day!

Wonderful experience.

• 3 weeks later...

After much debate going back and forth between a HAL cruise and this Alaskan Dream cruise, we are going to splurge and go for the Alaska Dream cruise round trip Sitka, next summer 2013. Very excited!

My question is, how are most of you getting to Sitka? We are from the midwest, so we have lots of connections to make in order to get there.

Are any of you flying to Seattle or Juneau for a long overnight layover, and then flying the next day to Sitka?

What about flying to Juneau and taking the ferry to Sitka? Is that even a possibility. It seems to be a little less $ to fly to Juneau.

Just curious on the logistics of getting in and out of Sitka, and what most of you are planning transportation wise.

Thanks for any tips!

Edited by morgan5
spelling

This was a favorite trip for me! We loved everything about the cruise. It was the most breathtaking scenery I have seen. We flew Chicago-Seattle, slight layover, then Seattle to Sitka. Same way on the reverse. There is no competitive pricing on that route and it was still worth it. We went in a day earlier, went salmon fishing and the processed and frozen fish were waiting for us as we returned to the airport on our departure day. It could not have been easier. Let me know if you need more information. You will need to arrive in Sitka at least one day ahead. Ate in Sitka at the most fabulous little restaurant, Ludvig's. You will need advance reservations there! Let me know if you have any other questions. I would book Alaskan Dream Cruises in a heartbeat and we are seasoned cruisers.

Thru Seattle to Sitka. Fly! Very important to arrive a day early just in case. Last year we stayed at the Super 8 in Sitka before and after. Nothing fancy, but, more than satisfactory. Good location, friendly, helpful staff, clean. A simple breakfast buffet. Also, a bonus for the after...a laundromat!

Recommend flying through Seattle and then getting Alaska Airlines to Sitka. There are multiple routes, we are going through Ketchikan. I'd make sure I had a couple of hours between flights unless you can take Alaska Air all the way. I would also go a day early. I talked to the cruise line office today and the walking tour of Sitka starts in the morning, with the harbor tour in the afternoon, then we sail. Sitka isn't that big so if you had to take a taxi to the hotel from the airport it shouldn't be that expensive. I hope to get to the raptor center this time, and there is a totem pole park that is very nice.

Edited by Yrm222

We loved our Alaskan Dream Cruise - well worth the money for individualized/ small group experience + fabulous food + beautiful scenery. We took a direct flight from Cleveland to Seattle leaving Cleveland around 8:30 am; got to Seattle around noon; then got to Sitka around 5:30 pm. I'm glad we booked the flight 6 months in advance because the flight arriving at 5:30 was no longer available a few months later. The long travel day made it easier to sleep that night & not be affected by the time change. We stayed at the Totem Square the night before the cruise - they offer a discount rate for Alaskan Dream Cruise passengers.

Thanks for all of your insight. When I start looking to book flights, I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking for now, and we'll plan to arrive 1-2 days in advance. I wish we didn't have 11 months to wait now!

• 3 weeks later...

We went on a two week Alaskan Dream cruise (42 passengers) with Allen Marine and it was so great that I had to write about it somewhere so that others could know about it. First, the food was super great - I honestly do not believe that it can be any better at a top drawer restaurant, really. So good, so consistent, so well presented, so flavorable. It honestly was the equivalent of a large, cruise ships offering -- and much more fun as wine with dinner (and all the side trips) is included.

Also, the crew and guides - I believe they can make or break the experience. We never had a schedule that could not be changed if nature presented itself. No matter how long the whates were there - dinner could be delayed or the boat could leave a little late/or arrive a little late/go a little faster to compensate. We are in Alaska to see nature after all. The guides were fun and knowledgable. The captain and the working crew were always available and concerned about our comfort and well being. Things like chemical hand warmer packets when we were outside watching whates and glaciers, for examples. Having the bar keep go back to the ship and bring us our ordered drinks while we gathered around a post-dinner camp fire as another example.

We were very lucky with nature and glaciers and town visits (nothing better than celebrating July 4th in Petersburg). I realize that other cruises won't be as lucky. But, the efforts of this cruise line to make your experience a once in a lifetime event, makes this small ship cruise an easy recommendation to make.

Why isn't this ship/cruise company part of the drop down menu??

Edited by TomColorado

We went on a two week Alaskan Dream cruise (42 passengers) with Allen Marine and it was so great that I had to write about it somewhere so that others could know about it.

We would love to do a cruise like that. Which boat were you on and how was the cabin? Can you recommend any particular cabin? Since you mentioned they are as good as they come; what cruises have you done in the past to compare it with?

The boat was the Alaskan Dream. The cabins not on the floor with the dining room and lounge are the best since you have less noise. Also we always stay away from the stairwell. A gal with a cabin on the dining room floor said it was noisy since some people stayed up later than her. Also, they set up for breakfast earlier than you might want to get up.

A nice cabin is the ones at the front of the ship. Bigger and great views. I don't think the captains/owners cabin is worth it - we did look in once.

We've been on Antarctica - 85 passenger, Caribbean - 300 passenger, Australia - 100 passenger, Polynesian - 90 passenger - boat tours and a short trip off Newfounderland. Never any really big boats as we really like the small boats. A couple from NY on the Alaskan Dream said that they wouldn't go on a big ship ever again, except for the Caribbean since they go there regularly just to relax.

• 2 weeks later...

Based in part on some of the reviews on this thread, my wife and I are booked on the Alaskan Dream on June 22, 2013 for 8 days. On the debarkation date, June 29, 2013, we would like to go fishing for 6-8 hours. We have found only one charter company in Sitka that books day charters (not multi-day packages), but they require a booking of 4 persons. If you are interested, please let us know. We would also appreciate any information or insights others may have on this topic. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I cannot find anywhere else to post this...I really wish Cruise Critic/Trip Advisor would list the Allen Marine line - Alaskan Dream Cruises.

My husband & I sailed on 25 Aug 2012 out of Sitka. There were 44 passengers on board. We had an absolutely wondreful time, the boat is a little "old" but they are spending the winter finishing her update. The crew is fantastic; they are all "local", most have advanced degrees and they are more than happy to share their love of Alaska.

Captain Stu would stop for sea life & even stayed at the glacier when it finally decided to calf (we saw a "big boat" come & go while we were cruising to the glacier).

The food was very good & there was always a choice; the pastry was fantastic & we finally met Sunshine.

I am intolerant to various foods - the chef (I'm bad with names) & Heather (our server) made sure to tell me the ingredients & would offer to cook something else if necessary.

My only regret was the queen bed; but I'm the one who insisted on it when I booked the cruise. Remember it is an older ship & they are still remodeling it, but the bed was surrounded on 3 sides & my husband & I had to climb over each other to get in & out...at our age that's frequent.

I would definitely book Alaskan Dream Cruises again.

Sitka is a really nice town.

We sailed in June and had a marvelous time. I highly recommend this cruise. We were treated like family by all crew members. It was difficult for me to believe the absolutely gorgeous sites we saw daily and the serenity we experienced. Our entire trip was enthralling and not to be missed. Highly recommend to all. Don't wait!! We too, enjoyed the warmth of Sitka.

• 2 weeks later...

JulieBen: We are booked on Alaskan Dream Cruises June 22, 2013. We would like to go fishing the day we return, but cannot find someone who will allow us to book just a one day trip. You listed Howard Merkel Charters, but their website only lists 3, 4 or 5 day bookings. How did you get them to take you for just 1 day?

Edited by aarpskier

• 5 months later...

We are booked for a May 22 Inside Passage cruise. I am really excited to try this small ship cruise for our first cruise experience. Does anyone know how much is recommended for tipping? I assume you tip on the last day and add it to your on-board account. I am also assuming that the tips are split among the entire crew but I could be wrong. Do they tell you how much to tip and who to tip or do you have to guess? Thanks for your help.

My recollection is that they recommended $15.00 per day per person. The tips are split among all crew members, and you can give extra to a specific person or persons who you felt was particularly friendly, helpful, etc. Have a great time - I'd do that trip again in a heartbeat!

• 2 months later...

Superlative is rare. Good happens frequently, excellent much less often. But truly outstanding experiences, the ones that stand alone in one's ever-expanding life memory, are seldom and savored. Such already is, and forever will be, the Inland Passage cruise we completed on June 29, 2013 aboard the "Alaskan Dream."

We have never been on a typical cruise ship, and never will be. As long-time bareboat sailors, we are physically-active folks who like to be 5' off the water, not 100'. So when we decided in the fall of 2012 to forego another trip to the Caribbean and visit Southeast Alaska, we considered only a small vessel with size-limited ports of call and culturally-enriching participatory activities. Universally positive web reviews narrowed the options to Sitka-based Alaskan Dream Cruises, and any initial concerns about their relatively short history vanished with additional research into its parent company, Allen Marine.

Sitka to Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm (North and South) to Hobart Bay, Kake to Orca Point, Petersburg to the Mendenhall glacier and falls, Taku Harbor to Chapin Bay - each was an exceptional new adventure. Every day brought up-close encounters with humpbacks, orcas, sea lions, eagles, bears, porcupines and deer. The snow-capped mountains, splashing waterfalls, dense green forests, placid waters and bright-hued wildflowers were magnificent from afar, but even more beautiful when viewed from feet to inches away. Spontaneity and flexibility were the watchwords. Spot whales aport? Slow down and watch! We don't have to be anywhere other than where we are right now!

The scenery and environment were beyond words. But this voyage was made special by the people. Generations of Tlingit and Norwegian culture were brought alive by dancers young and old. We learned a boatload of interesting information from our on-board cultural specialist, Leonty, and nature guide, Larisa, not by formal lectures but through unhurried conversations among friends. The depth of their knowledge, their love of the land and people and their enthusiasm to share was simply awesome!

As a group of veteran sailors, we were specially appreciative of the almost unlimited access to the bridge, and to the maritime skills demonstrated and knowledge imparted by Captain Erik and his crew - Dave, Patrick, Nate, Jon, Matt, Nick, Traci and Alex. There is just nothing like watching and listening to consummate professionals doing what they love. And swapping sea tales with these new friends while vicariously navigating and "driving the boat" from the pilothouse was an unexpected bonus without price!

Hospitality was not only remembered but emphasized. Each day while we were out on another excursion, hotel manager Heather and her assistants expertly prepared our cabins for another restful night of sleep. To our gastronomic delight, Chef Briana, sous chef Raymond, baker Kimberly and their assistant Mark surprised us at every meal with a choice of soups, salads, breads, entrees and desserts that would surpass fine dining restaurants ashore. Half-portions, splits, one of each - no request was refused by the lead steward Deseray and her assistants Jayde, Stacy and Michael. Behind the bar, Chelsy not only mixed up an excellent daily special to accompany the hot social hour hors-doeuvres, but could not be stumped if someone wanted a favorite libation instead. And not to be forgotten - the 24-hour coffee and tea stand and daily 3:00 pm fresh homemade cookies!

How was all this accomplished? We think it's a matter of attitude, respect, competency and relationships, and that it starts at the top and flows down. Allen Marine's CEO David Allen and his wife Lauren probably learned it from Dave's parents, Bob and Betty. From our first contacts with Eileen in the booking office to our final personal goodbyes with the entire crew (and Dave and Lauren's daughter Zaide) lined up on the debarkation ramp, we encountered nothing but friendly, outgoing personalities who seemed to genuinely like each and what they were doing. Hiring people who are privileged to enjoy what they do for a living and those with whom they are doing it just naturally results in treating clients and customers well.

We can't think of a better example than Captain Erik. The depth of his knowledge and experience were obvious, befitting his responsibility for the safety and comfort of his passengers and crew. However, we also soon came to appreciate his calm demeanor and gentle hand, both with the vessel and its crew. Erik operated the "American Dream" like a good pilot flies a plane, caressing the rudder and throttles to smoothly keep the "Alaskan Dream" on course at the right speed. So to with the crew. Even when things went slightly awry, as they will on any vessel, Erik never once raised his voice or seemed upset as he set about correcting the situation. Always the able seaman and perfect host, Erik is also a natural motivator and mentor.

In short, a wonderful and wonder-filled voyage on a unique vessel with an unmatched crew. Thank you!

Mark and Gail

Jim and Anne

Jeff and Beth