Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

We are going to Europe next fall and coming home on the Westbound Oasis transatlantic being her back to Ft. Lauderdale. That's my retirement trip! I retire in 301 days, but only 215 workdays, and I have 36 vaca days to take between now and then.

Sounds like a great cruise to me. Are you site-seeing in Europe first? Where are you leaving from?

I have 331 work days left. Not counting weekends, holidays or vacation days. I started it after a bad day with an abrasive boss. I figured it out on a napkin at lunch that day and then some time later my husband put it on a spreadsheet for me. This was better than the napkin approach. I had over 700 days when I started.

I realize these are the days of my life and am trying to live to the fullest now, cruise as much as I can, and not just wait for day 1 to arrive. I'm 63 and will retire when I reach 65. My abrasive boss is less abrasive now, fortunately. All any of us can do is do better. I still plan to retire on time. icon7.gif

That's not bad!! I figure it by weeks which gives you about 60 something weeks...not too bad...mine is around 45 weeks...not counting any other time off. I need a spread sheet or huge calendar for a countdown. I'm a teacher so you probably will retire before me...lol

That's not bad!! I figure it by weeks which gives you about 60 something weeks...not too bad...mine is around 45 weeks...not counting any other time off. I need a spread sheet or huge calendar for a countdown. I'm a teacher so you probably will retire before me...lol

I'm in education and will retire on my birthday next year. I made a ticker at tickerfactory.com and today it said, 10 months. Tomorrow it will say nine months and change. Woohoo.

353 days now for me, including weekends and holidays. This is when I can go. It probably makes sense for me to work one year beyond that, but at least I know that if it feels too much, I can just go! I recently booked a 14 Caribbean cruise for December 2014 in celebration of this :)

353 days now for me, including weekends and holidays. This is when I can go. It probably makes sense for me to work one year beyond that, but at least I know that if it feels too much, I can just go! I recently booked a 14 Caribbean cruise for December 2014 in celebration of this :)

Good for you!!! I'll be folowing in your footsteps the following month!!

At a liberal arts college. Freshman seminar, and I teach the faculty to use technology in their teaching. Taught 24 years before this position in a college of business and business teacher education.

Wow!! I teach little second graders. Night and day difference in what we each teach!

I just started to collect my first SS. I feel so old! I never thought this day would ever come. I can remember seeing my parents collect their first checks... dad always said to me., he said daughter bank one months check every other month and you will always have money.

Daddy.... I can remember now if he was alive I would say I will only take out 200.00 of the monthly managed money I have to blow... the rest stays for my cruises... yippie!!!!:D

I take out 100.00 a month for gas... the rest for haircuts nails maybe a few lunchs... or a good book James Patterson's latest one Mistress Great read.:rolleyes:

Now I am retired after working 42 yrs What do I do with myself? I have No grandbabies to love or play with. I hate volunteering unless they pay me. I do not like to sit with all the mammalas talk about who has this hurt and so on...

not a gossiper or talk about sickness... so what else is there to do?

ANYONE ON HERE> LETs plan a trip all the ladies to go to Europe for 2014. I want to go and enjoy myself. Anyone else???

Hubby still works, Im the only one with half a brain so lets do something happy... By the way I do not like the beach but love to go on ships and be entertained. I love to read and create things with my hands... Maybe the Chef will give me a job and help him cook... Italian Style???:p

I never thought I was going to get what I get from my state on ss. I thought it was gonna be small boy am I really happy!!:D

I just started to collect my first SS. I feel so old! I never thought this day would ever come. I can remember seeing my parents collect their first checks... dad always said to me., he said daughter bank one months check every other month and you will always have money.

Daddy.... I can remember now if he was alive I would say I will only take out 200.00 of the monthly managed money I have to blow... the rest stays for my cruises... yippie!!!!:D

I take out 100.00 a month for gas... the rest for haircuts nails maybe a few lunchs... or a good book James Patterson's latest one Mistress Great read.:rolleyes:

Now I am retired after working 42 yrs What do I do with myself? I have No grandbabies to love or play with. I hate volunteering unless they pay me. I do not like to sit with all the mammalas talk about who has this hurt and so on...

ANYONE ON HERE> LETs plan a trip all the ladies to go to Europe for 2014. I want to go and enjoy myself. Anyone else???

Hubby still works, Im the only one with half a brain so lets do something happy... By the way I do not like the beach but love to go on ships and be entertained. I love to read and create things with my hands... Maybe the Chef will give me a job and help him cook... Italian Style???:p

I never thought I was going to get what I get from my state on ss. I thought it was gonna be small boy am I really happy!!:D

I identify. I really can't believe I will begin to draw a check next summer. I also have been in the same retirement system for almost 39 years now. Never thought I'd see the day.

All three of our children live here and each has one little girl, and they range in age from 4 to 8. So, I have the girls. One of them has critical health issues, so I am very needed. I also have two places I want to volunteer, and I want to do something with organizing travel. It hits me now and then that I will not sit home in my pjs all day online or watching TV.

what you want to do for a start is immediately book the Independence of the Seas next May on the TA. There is NO single supplement. 13 days to start in the Caribbean and end in the UK.

There are a huge number of us traveling solo... The prices are finally starting to rise, but there are still good cabins left.

Just saying you won't exactly be the only solo traveler who has left his/her spouse at home..

-Holly

... 209 calendar days. I have 22 days of holidays to use up prior to 8 Apr 14 which is the magic day. We depart on 31 Mar 14 for LA, overnight and then board the Golden Princess for 31 days to celebrate.

I have been reading all of these posts...and to all of you, and to the poster above, congratulations.

I enjoy my work but days like today make me want to start a calendar :)

gary

I have been reading all of these posts...and to all of you, and to the poster above, congratulations.

I enjoy my work but days like today make me want to start a calendar :)

gary

I'm really not counting I just have a ticker on a private blog I write. After 39 years in the same field, looking forward to the freedom to choose what I do. Honestly, I can't believe it's finally getting close.

<sniff> Being excluded by sweetcupcakegirl because I am a guy :( J/K

I turned 66 today. Start collecting a check next month and I am still working ... why you say? I have the Italian disease fundsalo.

Maybe June when the wife retires.

Edited by FastFreddie

This is a great thread! Glad I stumbled on it this morning - at work but no desire to do anything but cruise!

110 days and counting. Wanted to leave 12/31/2013 but that is a holiday for my company and they have a policy that you have to actually work on your last day with the firm. So, since Jan. 1 is another holiday, I'll have to show up on Jan. 2 to hand in my computer and vacate my space. I could always make 12/30 my last day but then I'd lose the pension funding for the entire year. Why does it have to be so complicated?

My DH is looking at exiting February 28, 2014. We've already booked Independence of the Seas for a combined birthday/retirement celebration sailing April 26.

As committed as I am in retiring, and even though I have no particular love for my current job, I often lay awake at night wondering what I'll do with myself with all that TIME! I have a feeling I'll end up getting a part time gig eventually. In the past I've done volunteer work sporadically and will probably look for something that interests me there as well. What I'd really like to do is go back to school but at 68 that is difficult to justify and the extra expense would not be condusive to maintaining our budget (heaven forbid my cruise $$ is not available! :D). So time will tell. My husband has no such hesitancies. He just cannot wait!

Someone once gave me some very good advise years ago - do not try to figure out the next 30 years - way too many variables - just concentrate on taking life in 10 year cycles. 10 years is more predictable and allows you more flexibility. So I figure it will take us most of that first 10 years to explore all the possibilities open to both my DH and myself and making memories for our grandchildren. Then we can spend the next 10 years zeroing in on what we most enjoy doing the most and, if we are truly blessed, the final 10 years reminiscing about all the wonderful times we had. ;) Not much else you can ask for.

• 2 weeks later...