Dining on Windstar?

Vinnyv20032003

On the Surf, would I be able to order room service, but have it delivered to somewhere other than the stateroom, during an off time when the restaurants are not open? My expectation is that the Yacht Club food will not appeal to me.

Unless they have changed their policy, you cannot do that. I tried to have a hamburger delivered to the Compass Rose one beautiful afternoon at sea, and they said no way. Not that Windstar's burgers are all that great.

Last year, all that changed. We asked if we could order from the Stella Bistro menu when we were in the MDR, and we were told that that was no longer permitted. The quality of the food was markedly inferior to what we had had on previous WS cruises, overcooked steaks and fish, meals not served warm, slow service, waiting for what seemed like hours to order or obtain wine, etc. The lunches on WS were always unimpressive, but last year the dinners were just unacceptable. That was our last WS cruise, ever.

Which Windstar ship were you on last year where the food disappointed you?

I read online in one review that when you order room service on the Surf in a regular statement, they have a small folding table they to put the food on (I think I read a small folding table is stored in every statement). But I have also read they just put the food treys on the small desk and you have to figure out seating/dining arrangement on your own. Does anyone know the current way it is done?

Thanks for the help.

I meant stateroom above, not statement...

I read online in one review that when you order room service on the Surf in a regular stateroom, they have a small folding table they to put the food on (I think I read a small folding table is stored in every stateroom). But I have also read they just put the food treys on the small desk and you have to figure out seating/dining arrangement on your own. Does anyone know the current way it is done?

Thanks for the help.

I have not been on the Star or Surf yet. I will be on the Surf in December. I was looking at the picture of the stateroom on the deck plan for each from the Windstar website. They look different. I now gather that the pic of on the Star deck plan is of the suite, not the stateroom.

Either way, I think I now have the answer. Thanks for the help.

They have installed a small table for two on the Windstar staterooms. The Windsurf staterooms do not have a table in that area. I have ordered quite a few room service meals (mostly breakfast) On the Surf. The tray has always been placed on the desk just inside the door.

They have installed a small table for two on the Windstar staterooms. The Windsurf staterooms do not have a table in that area. I have ordered quite a few room service meals (mostly breakfast) On the Surf. The tray has always been placed on the desk just inside the door.

Thank you. So they are not exactly the same. I think the review I read that stated a folding table was used on the Surf was an old review, so I assume it is no longer used and you have confirmed that. I'm sure my wife & I will be just fine either way.

I would hate eating right in front of a mirror like that.

On the Pride recently, first night in MDR we were put at a larger table with two other couples, which went well. Next night, we were automatically assigned a table for two. Following night, we were assigned a table for four with a terrific couple. Back to the original six again after that, sometimes at larger tables with new folks. Seemed a bit arbitrary at the whim of the host, but worked out very well overall.

The veal chop at Candles was awesome! My mom had the filet mignon, which she couldn't finish. I had the only alcohol onboard at Candles, seeing as how it was a special occasion: $12/glass with tip quite reasonable. Sadly, we were underwhelmed by the dessert that night, some sort of mango-orange mousse I believe?

We took four excursions, so missed lunch on those days. The ones I did attend were fine, with an attempt to avoid standard cafeteria fare with items such as shepherds pie, and curry chicken. Dessert in MDR, I tended to stick with ice cream, having soup as the first course.

One day, we returned just as lunch was over, so had sandwiches in the Yacht Club(?) which I didn't really care for. Also, I found the staff there far less friendly than the rest of the ship.