Uniworld Egypt -- Yes!

jklc123

So glad I found this thread! My Mom and I are looking to book the Dec 9th sailing, hoping to add on 2 days in Petra before flying home Xmas Eve! Uniworld said they don't have any extensions for this trip, will need to inquire about Alexandria, however my Mom seems to be set on Petra, hopefully AmexPlat will come up with a do-able itinerary!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NeedMore vacation;

Uniworld offers wonderful cruises when you get to the ship. However , their home office is somewhere between incompetent and mostly worthless. The Land excursions portion of the cruise, along with the CD for the entire trip are all Spring Tours personnel. The people that pick you up at the airport, take you on all the bus tours, and do everything, except when actually on the Toscanini, is Spring Tours. So , in actuality, Spring Tours offers a Day Trip, either pre or post tour, to Alexandria . However, since Uniworld chooses to remain totally ignorant of those options, they don't act as if it exist. Therefore, one can only sign up for them upon arrival in Cairo.

We arrived a day early and signed up for the Cairo Coptic Christian Tour, with a trip to Cairo's Bazaar added in , on that early pre day. It was actually Day1 of the tour since it is only an arrival day anyway. If Uniworld had given us any hint of the Alexandria day trip we would have stayed the extra day postcruise. Both of those tours are ran by Spring Tours. As I earlier posted, your cruise CD will be either an employee or contract employee of Spring Tours, under the Uniworld contract. Until you step on the Tosca, on Day3 or 4, you never see an Uniworld employee. Spring Tours people take wonderful care of you though on behalf of Uniworld.

Thank you PinotLover! That's very helpful :) We've both traveled with Uniworld a number of times before (actually heading out on their China/Tibet cruise next month!) and usually just work with AmexPlat as we have the same impression as you in regards to their home office :) We will look into the Alexandria option! We won't be able to fly in early but are more flexible on our return- thank you for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I belatedly found this thread, since we were travelling when it appeared in January and I don't visit the River board as much as I did.

As some may remember, we did this cruise last year, in the fall, and loved every minute of the Tosca, the staff onboard, our guides, everything. It was a peak experience for us, and if we weren't getting too old we might do it again!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Uniworld’s “Splendors of Egypt and the Nile”

We are taking this trip, leaving tomorrow! and are so excited.....and I'm soooo glad I found your post!

We're concerned about the water,/food/bugs, etc.....so did many people on the Tosca (or any?) get sick in general?

We know not to drink the water; but even washing your hands in the water isn't really cleaning them I guess? And are the mosquitos as bad as I'm hearing? I'm reading to use all kinds of bug spray.

And did everyone load up on high SFP sunscreen every day? Are you out in the hot sun a lot? Or mostly sheltered?

I'm happy to hear that there's an ATM at the Four Seasons!

That 1st day we get in, is there anything we should absolutely see that we won't see on the rest of the entire trip?

We're having Mohamen Rahmen I'm told as our Egyptologist.

Is there anything you wish you did do that you didn't? And anything you wish you didn't do that you did? Anything you wish you packed or didn't pack? Anything you wish you bought and didn't?

How much do you barter for stuff at the non brick and mortar type stores?

We're bringing all short sleeve stuff; couple sweaters for ship/evening? No dress clothes and just sneakers (and no sandals just for safety purposes). Is dining room very casual?

Gift shop on Tosca: surprised to hear we can't get any toiletries there! no qtips/vaseline/etc.... What does the gift shop sell? clothes? shoes?

Does everyone, or pretty much everyone buy the galabeyas for that party?

I'm definitely not doing the hot air ballon thing; and not sure about the Sound and Light Show; so it's just lights on the pyramids? Is that it?

Do you think ALL the food on the ship is safe? Even fresh fruit with thin skin? (that I was told to avoid?).

So they don't limit the amount of bottled water you can get in your room (as it says in the brochure?)

Do they take credit cards everywhere? We're debating how much cash to take.

thanks soooo much!:D

A lot of questions!

1. All the food on the Toscanini is fine to eat. Only one of our cruisers got sick and that was because he went into Aswan on his own and ate street food! Stupid move on his part, he'd been warned.

2. You are still with Uniworld, not Viking. On the ship for dinner , men must still wear long pants and people are a elegant casual, not casual. So not sure what your comments on dress mean, just don't expect to show up for dinner dressed for McDonald!

3. The major shopping places Uniworld takes you will take cc. All the street vendors take only cash. You will need cash for the tips likewise.

4. Arrange with Mohammed a tour of Coptic Cairo that first day. Also try to visit the bazaar in Cairo. If you have an extra day at the end of the cruise take the Alexandria tour.

5. All our couples, except 1, bought the galabayes and took part in the fun festivities. They can be very cheaply obtained. That one couple was kind of stump on a log for everything.

6. One is in the sun a lot. Valley of the Kings is mostly all sun. Take sun screen and wear a hat. Carry water.

7. Neither my wife nor I needed to buy extra toiletries. The ship supplied everything we didn't bring.

8. I wore Keen sandals on all tours except to the pyramids. They worked fine. To much sand there so I worn tennis shoes.

9. Your CD will instruct you on bartering. When and how much. Varies by location.

Just to add a little to pinotlover's spot-on reply:

No problem with washing your hands with tap water. Hand sanitizer is available at the dining room entrance and offered upon returning to the ship. I think a few of our passengers might have had mild "mummy tummy" as Mohamed helped them get Atenol at a pharmacy in Aswan. DH bought some online before we went and took it as a preventative. I didn't take it and was fine. (it's not available in the US) We carried hand sanitizer to use on excursions.

I took a dressy blouse to wear for dinners at the Four Seasons but found the dress for meals on the Tosca more casual than on our European cruises. We did wear long pants for dinner, but then the weather as pleasantly cool.

It was worth the small extra amount to visit King Tut's tomb at the Valley of the Kings and the Solar Boat at the pyramids. We'd seen mummies before so didn't pay extra to see them at the Egyptian Museum and used the time to explore on our own.

I didn't take a swim suit as the weather was a bit too cool in January to use the Tosca's pool, but if I went now, I might want to take a dip. We did enjoy using small binoculars while cruising the Nile. No mosquitos but maybe it was too early in the season.

We had taken a good supply of $1 bills, which came in handy for small souvenirs and were readily accepted. We didn't want to take out a wallet with larger EP notes while surrounded by vendors if we had run out of EP 20 bills, about equivalent to a dollar. We bought small bookmarks with hieroglyphics, 10 or so for EP 20 or $1, for souvenirs for friends and coworkers -- easy to pack and fun to give.

I still daydream about this trip. Such a fascinating place to visit. I know you'll have a wonderful time, Denise!

wow; thanks! I wish I had seen this sooner! So I got the impression from Uniworld that even jeans and sneakers (and capris) were ok in the dining room? (not shorts though)....but not so? Or you just see people a little more dressed up than that I guess for dinner?

Good to heard all the food is fine to eat on ship.

Where do you eat while at Four Seasons while on your own?

Did a lot of people do the tour of Coptic Cairo that first day and the bazaar in Cairo? Did you feel safe on your own there?

Does Uniworld give you water on the excursions? on the bus?

thanks!

Thanks to you too!!

Re this Antenol; is it much different from Immodium (which I'm bringing).

It looks like I might have to rethink my packing! oh dear!

And was the King Tut's tomb and Solar Boat totally on your own?

Great idea on the bookmarks!

and to both of you that replied: anything you wish you did/didn't do or wish you packed or didn't pack? or wish you bought, didn't buy?

and what does the gift shop sell, just clothes I guess?!

thanks!

You will not be "on your own ". Uniworld/Spring Tours will have the tour guide plus a body guard with you , on the Coptic tour, for the entire time. Not sure you née the guard, but you get one included in the price. Water is always supplied and plentiful.

People do dress for dinner. Surprised you thought otherwise.

The Four Seasons is a 5 star hotel. All the venues are very good. There is a buffet restaurant, an Italian, and a Chinese (ran by real Chinese). All are excellent. The two bars also serve nice lighter meals.

We asked Mohammed to do the Coptic Christian tour and be taken to the bazaar in Cairo. He accommodated our group. If you want to go there, then ask specifically. It is huge, extremely entertaining, and well worth the visit. Our accompanying guard kept us from wandering astray in the bazaar! LOL!

Hi again, Denise!

I think nice capris would be fine for dinner on the ship. As I wrote before, I dressed up more for the hotel restaurants. Really, don't add many dressy clothes to what you have packed.

At the Four Seasons, we ate most meals at the Zitouni Restaurant, where breakfast is served. Large buffet selections, including many delicious Egyptian dishes. We also had one lunch at the Beyman Cafe, which serves salads, sandwiches, light entrees and desserts. And one late lunch at the informal Upper Deck Lounge overlooking the pool; however, people were smoking water pipes so it was a bit smoky. Room service is also good. We didn't try the excellent Chinese and Italian restaurants -- we were more interested in local foods and really liked the Zitouni.

We saw Coptic Cairo by hiring our own guide and driver by emailing the hotel concierge before we left home. We arrived a day early which is how we had time to do that. Once we joined up with Uniworld, there was almost no time for exploring on your own. And once we saw the crazy Cairo traffic, we weren't keen on leaving the hotel anyway! There are very few traffic lights and it's quite a feat to cross busy streets. Join a group of locals and go for it! We could have braved the traffic in front of the hotel and strolled along the corniche. We would have felt safe, once we made it across the street!

Uniworld provides plenty of bottles of water. It is offered as you leave the ship.

Atenol is different from Immodium -- apparently attacks "bugs" native to Egypt.

The visits to the mummies, King Tut's tomb and the Solar Boat were offered during the regular excursions. Mohamed collected the inexpensive fees and bought our tickets for us. Also collected the fee, EP 50, I think, to be able to take photos in the Egyptian Museum. So it's good to have some Egyptian money handy for that.

The boutique on the Tosca sold clothing, jewelry, personalized cartouches and other quality souvenirs. Strangely, the Four Seasons didn't have a store selling toothpaste, etc. type things, nor did we such a store in the upscale mall attached to the hotel.

We didn't shop except from vendors who appeared at most stops, and at the papyrus store. I probably should have bought some cotton blouses -- saw some nice ones and did buy a pajama set for $5 and I can wear the top as a blouse. Lots of interesting inexpensive jewelry was sold by many vendors; I bought a few pieces for myself and gifts.

So relax and enjoy!!

The visits to the mummies, King Tut's tomb and the Solar Boat were offered during the regular excursions. Mohamed collected the inexpensive fees and bought our tickets for us. Also collected the fee, EP 50, I think, to be able to take photos in the Egyptian Museum. So it's good to have some Egyptian money handy for that.

Yes, EP50 is still the going rate for a camera ticket, also note that the Solar boat also has a camera ticket option as well as the entrance fee.

When we were there last month, opinions on the King Tut's tomb option varied. You will have already seen all of the contents of the tomb in Cairo and as tombs go, it is not the most spectacular.

When you get to the Valley of the King's, ask your guide if any of the tombs open that day are among the less frequently opened tombs. If you plan to go back at some point it is worth knowing what is a must see on that particular day as they do rotate the available options to limit the damage. There will also be a small number of tombs available at a much higher price ($50-100 range), again, your guide should be able to tell you if they are worth the entrance fee...

In the Valley of the King's there will be no cameras allowed at all. There is no option to pay a fee for a camera, but you will be given an opportunity to purchase a photo pack including both printed photos and a CD with a huge number of professionally shot images for around EP70.

The same applies at Abu Simbel if you are going there, no photos allowed inside but they do allow photos outside so unlike the Valley of the Kings they don't actually take cameras away from you, but if you try to take photos inside the 'guards' will rapidly intervene and require deletion of any images. A photo pack is available for a small fee, but no CD this time..

jklc:

Hi again,

this is all such wonderful info! thanks....I did add one top any way based on this thread; but I was always bringing slacks as well.

Good to know about the restaurants at the Four Seasons.

Oh....so sounds as if we will not get to see the Bazaar in Cairo then :eek: because we're not arriving any earlier than most I don't think.

Antenol....hmmmm....I'll have to look up the ingredients.....

thanks again :D

We are going with Insight Tours on Oct. 30th for 2 weeks. I am so happy about all the great info that you have been giving. I am taking notes!

Denise....please post your experience also so I can pick your brain to lol. I would love to hear how your trip was also.

Thanks.

Corinne

Thank you so much to you for posting such a thorough review. We just booked Uniworld for 3/3/18. Your posts helped us to make the decision. I am wondering about air arrangements. Did you book through Uniworld? How far in advance? I appreciate any advice!