St Lucia's Local Opinion

Dex2015

Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,

Dex

Hello Everyone,

After going through this forum, I realized that many persons visiting St Lucia have many questions about the destination. My name is Dexter and I live in St Lucia about 15 minutes away from the Cruise Terminal. I love the internet and I’m generally online so I thought I may offer anyone my local opinion on questions about St Lucia. Please note that I don’t work in the tourism industry so I may sometimes have to research certain questions you may have.

Feel free to ask any questions and Id be happy to respond!

Devoulty,

Dex

Welcome aboard Dex! Always great to have more of us locals helping out. I look forward to seeing your contributions. One word of advice, from a fellow Looshan who has been posting on this board - do read and adhere to the posting guidelines. CC is real quick to block a local poster if there is any question about then possibly being in the tourism trade and/or advertising their own business. It's in our best interest to answer specific questions with specific information, but when it comes to recommending companies or such, to offer several options...

Glad to have you onboard, especially as cruise season gets underway!

All the best,

Reedprincess

I am a frequent Cruiser ..leaving again in a month.

I have been to St Lucia twice by cruise...loved it so much we are booking a week at a resort there.

Papillon by Rex Resorts st. lucia - Gros islet.

I have encouraged a group of people to go here with us..based on reviews and

my own experience. It APPARENTLY is undergoing MASS renovations

and should be open Dec 2015. HOWEVER we have read that renovations haven't started and that our Feb trip there may not work out at all.

Do you know anything about GROS ISLET and if this hotel renovations

are started and looking good?

Hope you can help. We don't want to cancel...but realize we may have to :(

Krista

I am a frequent Cruiser ..leaving again in a month.

I have been to St Lucia twice by cruise...loved it so much we are booking a week at a resort there.

Papillon by Rex Resorts st. lucia - Gros islet.

I have encouraged a group of people to go here with us..based on reviews and

my own experience. It APPARENTLY is undergoing MASS renovations

and should be open Dec 2015. HOWEVER we have read that renovations haven't started and that our Feb trip there may not work out at all.

Do you know anything about GROS ISLET and if this hotel renovations

are started and looking good?

Hope you can help. We don't want to cancel...but realize we may have to :(

Krista

I did a drive by of the resort this weekend, based in responses and questions on TripAdvisor. And as I noted there - there are finally some signs of life in Papillon. The outside gate was halfway painted and there was some lumbar and tools in the courtyard. I would be very surprised if it was open by Nov 2015, as the signs of improvements were limited at best - but we didn't tour the property or anything like that. Still looking derelict in many od the buildings, overgrown in some spots, etc.. Time will tell. It's interesting that Rex Resorts doesn't list the property their website, nor any info about refurbishment or opening dates...time will tell. I would have a backup plan just in case...Papillon has been closed and rundown for years, it will take more than a slap of pain to fix it up...

Visiting g St Lucia is still a great idea - lots of other properties in the area just in case. Feb is probably more realistic - but again, time will tell.

If you need tips or ideas on what to do or see while here, head over to TripAdvisor, which is Cruise Critic's sister site aimed towards land vacations..

Enjoy your trip!!!

Edited by reedprincess

thank you!

I think we will have to cncel our trip to St Lucia.

Very disappointing but a huge risk to take

if only this week they are prepping the grounds.

Thank you. St Lucia is BEAUTIFUL :)

Why cancel! There are tons of other excellent properties in St Lucia, and February is still 4+ months away. There's the St Lucian by Rex, Bay Gardens, Coco Palm, Ginger Lily, Blu, etc all right in the same area....along with St James Morgan Bay, Coconut Bay if you want all inclusive, and then you get more upscale from there....I wouldn't be cancelling my plans by any means, but I would have a back-up choice in St Lucia just in case... Im assuming you're booking thriugh a tour company as Rex properties doesn't even have Papillon listed for a property at this time. Just make sure your agency will sub an appropriate hotel, just in case. Likely, it will be no problem at all, given the amount of time till your trip. It's those visiting in Nov or Dec that should be more concerned...

My DH and I have been to St. Lucia several times. We have been to the Pitons and swam at Jealousie Beach. We did both land and sea tours which we enjoyed very much! St. Lucia is beautiful!

We are visiting again in November and looking for something to do closer to port. My parents will be joining us and do not want to do an all day tour so any suggestions for maybe half day tour or a beach closer to port will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

My DH and I have been to St. Lucia several times. We have been to the Pitons and swam at Jealousie Beach. We did both land and sea tours which we enjoyed very much! St. Lucia is beautiful!

We are visiting again in November and looking for something to do closer to port. My parents will be joining us and do not want to do an all day tour so any suggestions for maybe half day tour or a beach closer to port will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Would highly recommend Pigeon Island. Great historical national park with ruins, hiking, beach, excellent location eats, etc. Lovely way to spend the day. About 30-35 minutes north of the port, cab is $35us one way. Entrance to the park is $7us pp. Great history of the old colonial days, beautiful scenery, etc..

Another option maybe the aerial tramride through the rainforest with Rainforest Adventures. Beautiful tram ride, gorgeous rainforest, etc. For the more adventurous of you, there's the zip line courses also.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

• 2 weeks later...
We are making our first trip to St. Lucia later this year.

We are looking for a simple beach day. What can you recommend?

Many thanks!

Reduit Beach is your best bet. Long stretch of beach, swimmabke waters, water sports for hire, lounge chairs and umbrellas for hire, beach bars, etc...it's 30 minutes from the port and a taxi is $30us one way. Lots of reviews, etc here on this forum...

Enjoy your visit.

thank you!

I think we will have to cncel our trip to St Lucia.

Very disappointing but a huge risk to take

if only this week they are prepping the grounds.

Thank you. St Lucia is BEAUTIFUL :)

Papillon and Rex St Lucia is all one complex. The Papillon is derelict and there has been talk of renovations for years! Great location, we have been 4 times. Lovely staff, great breakfasts but dinners were sparse with hardly any choice last time we went. Reluctantly we won't go again unless things changed. Last time we stayed cruise ship trips were there 6 days out of seven with hundreds of people there. You couldn't walk down the beach unless you walked in the sea edge.

Reduit Beach is your best bet. Long stretch of beach, swimmabke waters, water sports for hire, lounge chairs and umbrellas for hire, beach bars, etc...it's 30 minutes from the port and a taxi is $30us one way. Lots of reviews, etc here on this forum...

Enjoy your visit.

Yes it's great.....but crowded:D

Looking for recommendations for an island tour. We will be in st. Lucia for the first time in January for about 8 hours.

There are numerous tour companies in St Lucia that you can use. Most of them offer about the same thing, however there are those that are more popular than others. If you are a first time visitor, I would recommend doing a Land and Sea Tour which is about 5 – 6 hours. Soufriere Tours , HerodsTours.com, JJspeedboattour.com , St Lucia Cruise Tours are all reputable and rated on tripadvisor. Should you decide to do just a land tour, Cosol Tours and StLucia Airport Taxi & Tours are OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I have emailed the St Lucian by Rex regarding a day pass however I have not received a response. (It also did not "kick back" so I "assume" they received it.) Anyone have any info regarding the day passes...cost, what it includes, reserving in advance? Or have a valid email address that they might answer?

Thanks.

Any other suggestions for day pass besides Rendezvous? (Have been there once and it was nice but would like to try somewhere else.)

Are there any feather or critter rescue centers on St. Lucia? We happened on the Toucan Rescue Ranch in Costa Rica, and it turned out to be a highlight of our trip---more than toucans; lots of other critters, including sloths, being rehabilitated and/or homed...and a private tour by the woman who started it years ago and still operates it. A wonderful change from all the typical touristy doings.

Are there any feather or critter rescue centers on St. Lucia? We happened on the Toucan Rescue Ranch in Costa Rica, and it turned out to be a highlight of our trip---more than toucans; lots of other critters, including sloths, being rehabilitated and/or homed...and a private tour by the woman who started it years ago and still operates it. A wonderful change from all the typical touristy doings.

SLAPS: St Lucia Animal Protection Society. Takes care of homeless animals, says and neuter, fosters animals, helps with adoption, etc. They have an active website to get in contact with them to offer help for the day or meet the animals, etc..

We will be in St. Lucia in Dec. off the cruise ship. Is it safe to walk to the cathedral? How far is it? Is there anything near the cruise terminal to see on our own? We have been there before & have done the island tour. Any suggestions? Would like your input.

Thanks!

It's been years since we've been to St Lucia and we took a ships tour last time. Don't want to do that this time. Is it necessary to book with a company before we go or will there be tour companies waiting on shore when we get off the ship? Thinking of going down to Soufriere, any idea how much that might be? Is there a bus that goes there?

thanks

It's been years since we've been to St Lucia and we took a ships tour last time. Don't want to do that this time. Is it necessary to book with a company before we go or will there be tour companies waiting on shore when we get off the ship? Thinking of going down to Soufriere, any idea how much that might be? Is there a bus that goes there?

thanks

I think it would be better to book in advance with a tour company as a tour to soufriere is generally 5 - 6 hours. The tour guides would be waiting for you as soon as you step off your ship. The most popular tours to Soufriere seem to be the Land & Sea tour. You can inquire from Soufrieretours.com and Herodstours.com for their Land & Sea packages. StLucia Airport Taxi & Tours or St Lucia Cruise Tours are great options for Land tours to soufriere.

We will be in St. Lucia in Dec. off the cruise ship. Is it safe to walk to the cathedral? How far is it? Is there anything near the cruise terminal to see on our own? We have been there before & have done the island tour. Any suggestions? Would like your input.

Thanks!

There are lots of things that you can do around Castries. You can visit the local Craft Market and Vendors Arcade which is right next to the cruise Port. The cathedral is about 5 minute brisk walk from the cruise terminal. It is quite safe to walk to the cathedral but just be cautious just as you would be in your own country. Pointe Seraphine, Rodney Bay Shopping MallBay Walk Shopping Mall and nearby beaches are also great options. Take along passport and tickets for duty free shopping.

Hi, Dex and Reedprincess, thanks to the both of you for coming to this site and giving everyone great information.

We have been to St. Lucia before and did Herod's tour which we very much enjoyed.

This time we are looking for some beach time and probably have it narrowed down to Rendezvous Day pass or Reduit Beach.

One of my questions is about taxi fare. When one says $30 taxi fare is that per person or the total fare for everyone in taxi? If it is for everyone, do they have a limit of passengers per taxi?

My other question is about the market in Castries. We will be there in early December this year. Do you have any idea what type of fruit they might have? Wondering if any Rambutan, Mangoes, or Lychees would be in season then?

Thanks again