Need a local to speak to the dredging schedule

carmel

I've called my TA and RCCL and neither have been extremely helpful. To their defense, I'm not sure they know either.

I'm schedule to be in St Lucia on 7/19. However, all cruises on Adventure of the Seas (to this point) have been diverted to Martinique. I'm wondering if a local can shed some light on if you think or have heard that our ship will make it to St Lucia on that date.

There is a general attitude of 'just wait and see' by people I have asked. The reason I do not want to do that is I have hired a private tour guide on Martinique (English speaking ones are not really easy to find) and I do not want to hold up this guy's schedule if I'm not going there. I'm very aware he depends on tourist $$ for his living and I just think it is very rude to cancel at the last second. I've been up front with him and he seems okay but I am trying to get as much info as I can. I thought I would see what the local vibe on St Lucia is about the completion of the project. We love St Lucia and would be very happy if we could visit your amazing island!!!

Thanks!

I've called my TA and RCCL and neither have been extremely helpful. To their defense, I'm not sure they know either.

I'm schedule to be in St Lucia on 7/19. However, all cruises on Adventure of the Seas (to this point) have been diverted to Martinique. I'm wondering if a local can shed some light on if you think or have heard that our ship will make it to St Lucia on that date.

There is a general attitude of 'just wait and see' by people I have asked. The reason I do not want to do that is I have hired a private tour guide on Martinique (English speaking ones are not really easy to find) and I do not want to hold up this guy's schedule if I'm not going there. I'm very aware he depends on tourist $$ for his living and I just think it is very rude to cancel at the last second. I've been up front with him and he seems okay but I am trying to get as much info as I can. I thought I would see what the local vibe on St Lucia is about the completion of the project. We love St Lucia and would be very happy if we could visit your amazing island!!!

Thanks!

If you mean 7/19 as in next month - nope, not going to be done with the port construction or improvements. They've barely begun, started late last month/early this month. The plan/hope is that it will be completely in time for the next cruise season, which usually begins in earnest around November.. That will depend on a variety of factors including weather interference...

If you mean July of 2019, then yes, they'll be done by them.

I mean 2017 - in a few short weeks.

Well, I guess I'll go with the flow and keep my reservations on Martinique. I means I'll have to book another cruise to come to St Lucia. So, it is not a bad outcome. :D

Thank you so much for replying.

Wow. We will be there 11/24 and hope it will finish by then. If not, very bad news for the tourist industry. And, Martinique is not a very attractive alternative.

While admittedly I'm partial to St Lucia, Martinique is a beautiful island with loads to explore. And some truly gorgeous beaches also.. If a beach day is what you want, head to Trois Islet, across the bay by ferry from Fort-de-France.. Or visit the volcano and the village destroyed by it but very well preserved. Or run tour. Or botanical garden and mini Sacre Couer. or snorkeling trip. And so in. It's a beautiful island. It is mini France, so have euros or use a credit card, USD isn't widely accepted..

I just happened upon this thread. Is St. Lucia closed to all cruise ships during this dredging? I'm scheduled on the Carnival Fascination (smaller ship) in August.

Not even remotely. The port is open for business at most of the piers, it's just one area being dredged and built out, which can limit larger ships. Carnival is porting as normal..

Not even remotely. The port is open for business at most of the piers, it's just one area being dredged and built out, which can limit larger ships. Carnival is porting as normal..

Oh good. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow. We will be there 11/24 and hope it will finish by then. If not, very bad news for the tourist industry. And, Martinique is not a very attractive alternative.

Just by way of an update . Adventure did visit St Lucia on 19th July . FIrst time for a while, but did stop without any notable issue . Crew said works are in preparation for the "super ships"

Guys we did tour with didn't have confirmation until previous day , and beautiful St Lucia was too :)