Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

How sad. I just took my 8 year old grandson on NCL.in June. I always worried about pools and railings. Kids are kids. Always on the move and curious. My prayers to to the family.

I will say by the pictures,the crew tried to block the view from on lookers.

PLEASE DO NOT judge as we do not know specifics.

You all know how crazy disembarkation can get.

My crew friends on NCL really were eeffected by a drowning on board a couple years back. However, all cruise lines drill for assorted onboard emergencies.

Carnival has good emergency response folks as I learned a few years back touring the Triumph with our firefighter Explorer group.

I agree with one poster, the press seems to jump on cruise ship incidents.

Larking around happens and accidents happen, my sympathies go out to the parents. I just hope that this doesn’t result in some knee jerk over-reaction to raise every railing by 12 inches and put safety catch nets in every atrium. You cannot make everything in the world absolutely safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are only a couple spots on deck 9 where she could have fell from if that’s really where it happened. I’ve heard conflicting reports.

This is the pic from embarkation today on deck 3. I haven’t heard anything else yet. Not saying this is where it happened because I don’t know. It’s the only thing that looks out of the ordinary. So sad.

49d3fd984c994f1073813c02ac1df8fe.jpg

This is where she landed, I can’t believe after what I saw that the carpet didn’t have to be replaced. From everything that I heard today she hit her head on that table.

If anyone is morbidly curious of how the child fell, it all will be detailed in the corner's report, which is public record. The report is usually released within a week or 2 depending on how fast they are.

I'm curious from the standpoint of what went wrong and how of if it could it have been prevented. They've already made the safety glass on the outside decks higher.

Very sorry for the family, heartbreaking story. Cruising with my soon to be 5 year old in a month, and DH and I were discussing to "leash" or not. We have been to Disney 3 times without 1 but after reading this story considering it as my child is extremely active and like a child doesn't always listen. I am also curious as to the HOW did this happen. Prayers to the family.

That latest news report, posted by lady-cruiser, says at the end that homicide detectives are investigating, so let's not assume just yet that the poor child herself was to blame, or put it all on her parents. Another child/adult could have been involved.

Just seems a bit strange to me that it was an 8-year-old girl. If it was a boy, I could understand more, seeing as they tend to be the more adventurous.

Anyway, a horrible thing to happen, whatever the circumstances.

That latest news report, posted by lady-cruiser, says at the end that homicide detectives are investigating, so let's not assume just yet that the poor child herself was to blame, or put it all on her parents. Another child/adult could have been involved.

Just seems a bit strange to me that it was an 8-year-old girl. If it was a boy, I could understand more, seeing as they tend to be the more adventurous.

Anyway, a horrible thing to happen, whatever the circumstances.

There's no need to read anything into that. Any accidental death of a child will be investigated the same way a homicide would be (and often by the same people).

There's no need to read anything into that. Any accidental death of a child will be investigated the same way a homicide would be (and often by the same people).

Still, I don't like to see people jumping to conclusions and blaming the parents/child so soon after, especially as so many people cannot understand how it was possible.

It could have been a freaky accident, who knows.

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

I actually like this saying. All it means is if an adult sees a kid doing something stupid and the parents don't (or are clueless) they should speak up. I'd much rather be yelled at by a parent having an issue with me not "minding my own business" than watch a young life come to a tragic end. If you see something say something.

Edited by Cushing985

Still, I don't like to see people jumping to conclusions and blaming the parents/child so soon after, especially as so many people cannot understand how it was possible.

It could have been a freaky accident, who knows.

Oh, absolutely agree. Thought you were implying that because homicide was investigating, foul play might be afoot. It was most likely a tragic accident and until fully investigated, no one will know if it could have been prevented.

Edited by sanger727

Poor kid. But where did she fall from? Every railing on every ship I've ever sailed on has to be at least 40" high (I've never measured, though). Unless she was climbing on something and lost her footing......in which case, where were the parents?

From the picture it looks like she fell from deck 5 down into the atrium. If I remember right there are sitting areas around the rail that overlooks the atrium bar area 2 stories below. My guess is that she was climbing on the chairs and got herself hanging over the railing when she fell. Don't know what the people responsible for her care were unless they were looking into the windows of the shops. Really sad.

I'm curious from the standpoint of what went wrong and how of if it could it have been prevented. They've already made the safety glass on the outside decks higher.

My thought as well. I want to know exactly what happened so it will hopefully not happen again, not because I'm being morbid.

No, but I've noticed a move away from towering high atriums in more recently built hotels, as well as on Vista (and soon, Horizon). Some of this shift is due to engineering and climate-control issues, but I think some is also due to liability concerns.

I'd say about 10% of it has to do with air change/purge (engineering) and 90% has to do with cramming more cabins in for revenue. I don't think liability or safety concerns factor in.

Just off a cruise yesterday (Paradise) and I shuddered as I walked through the atrium area one evening on one of the higher decks, and there was a father with his small child on his shoulders standing at the railing. Had that child fallen, he could have easily gone over the railing. Perhaps it was something like that?

CeleBrat

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

I actually like this saying. All it means is if an adult sees a kid doing something stupid and the parents don't (or are clueless) they should speak up. I'd much rather be yelled at by a parent having an issue with me not "minding my own business" than watch a young life come to a tragic end. If you see something say something.

This can be a statement for debate. But it's not my intention. Sometimes wisdom can and should win out. As a 50 "something" I have been around long enough to have gained some knowledge along the way. I am also a mother to 4 wonderful adult kids, and have one infant grandson (so far). We are ALL human and that means even loving parents make mistakes or miss something in a child's movements that could be missed. I get it that a parent wants to raise their child, but a well meaning person looking to correct a child should be taken with a grain of salt ESPECIALLY if that person's execution of advice is sincere and without malice.

It brings me to a story from about 15 years ago. Members of our family were hiking in the Adirondack mountains of Lake Placid, NY. I was with some of the younger kids in the group, including my 10 year old nephew. And I was busy watching my own footsteps as we were descending when we were being passed by two men who were heading upwards. One of them reprimanded my nephew in front of me to take his hands out of his pockets! Honestly, I didn't notice he had done that. As they came a bit closer to me, one politely apologized and said "If he were to fall he will not have time to free his hands before he hits the ground. Too many variables NOT to say something."

Now, I could have been offended. But I CHOSE to recognize a different set of eyes saw a potential danger that I had yet to acknowledge. I thanked them. My nephew looked embarrassed. Or maybe chided? I followed up what I feel is responsible "parenting" by saying "Aren't you glad he told us? I didn't think of that! And head injuries hurt!" Brandon quickly saw it as a lesson rather than a reprimand. And all was good that day.

This day always plays in my mind because I reflected a lot of what "could have" that afternoon, and the following day it was all over the news that Christopher Reeve passed away from complications from being a quadriplegic. An injury he suffered from human mistake. I was a grateful aunt that a concerned stranger acted as part of my village.Young parents should try to see this in their older generation. Execution of wisdom, done correctly shouldn't offend!

My deepest condolences go to this family. It's so very sad.