Places to stay near Fort Lauderdale - any good suggestions please

PinkJellyBaby

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are flying over to Miami on December 12th, to spent a week in the area before joining our cruise on the Royal Princess on December 20th.

Can anyone suggest any good areas to stay?

Would we be better off going to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, or maybe down the coast a bit in Hollywood, or maybe Miami it self.

We would like to have some beach time, but also have a look around the area.

If you could give me some ideas that would be so great. I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Angie & Jeremy

Hi Everyone,

My partner and I are flying over to Miami on December 12th, to spent a week in the area before joining our cruise on the Royal Princess on December 20th.

Can anyone suggest any good areas to stay?

Would we be better off going to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, or maybe down the coast a bit in Hollywood, or maybe Miami it self.

We would like to have some beach time, but also have a look around the area.

If you could give me some ideas that would be so great. I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Angie & Jeremy

We're staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. They have a nice evening reception with drinks and snacks and an included breakfast.

It's close to the port in Ft. Lauderdale and you can get a cab or uber or rent a car.

How did you plan to get from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale?

With a week to spend there is absolutely no reason to choose a hotel specifically convenient to Port Everglades. If South Beach (Miami Beach) is in your budget I would certainly head there. Hollywood Beach would also work and would be a bit less costly with weekly rates found at some properties.

But you need to get cracking. With barely four weeks to go many deals will be sold out. I don't know if you use a travel agent but it may take one to get a week's reservation in a preferred location so close in.

With a week to spend there is absolutely no reason to choose a hotel specifically convenient to Port Everglades. If South Beach (Miami Beach) is in your budget I would certainly head there. Hollywood Beach would also work and would be a bit less costly with weekly rates found at some properties.

But you need to get cracking. With barely four weeks to go many deals will be sold out. I don't know if you use a travel agent but it may take one to get a week's reservation in a preferred location so close in.

Absolutely agree. The Embassy Suites and other hotels along 17th Street are convenient to the port for a one night stay but could be anywhere in the USA (except for the palm trees) - they are clustered along a 6 lane road that alternates hotels and strip malls.

Take a look at http://www.sunny.org for info on Fort Lauderdale area hotels, attractions and transportation. In addition to going south to Hollywood Beach or South Beach (Miami) you have the option of heading north to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Pompano Beach and Deerfield Beach.

I suggest the south beach area of Miami. Beach access along with lively area full of restaurants, shops, and night life. We stayed one night post cruise at the Blue Moon in March and enjoyed it so much we are returning in a few weeks prior to our cruise.

Another vote for Embassy Suites on 17th. Evening Reception, 5 min walk to markets, restaurants, cafes and the trolley to the beach stops at the shops going and opposite on the way home. Great location, clean and runs a shuttle to the port.

Hi, a few years ago my partner and I stayed at the Westin Diplomat, Hollywood - beautiful hotel right on the beach. We were on the eleventh floor and the view was amazing.

In Fort Lauderdale we have stayed at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and can definitely recommend staying here in one of the tower rooms overlooking the marina. They have a shuttle to the cruise terminal (which is right across the street.

We are going over to Florida 2 weeks yesterday to board the Regal Princess on 26th November and this time we are staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a high marina view room - I will let you know what it’s like once we’ve stayed there (I usually write a live from blog).

We usually just walk to the terminal if the ship is at pier 2 - it’s an easy eight minute walk from Pier Sixty-Six or the Hilton (though the other piers are too far and difficult to access on foot). Others are right when they say that from the hotels in SE 17th Street its close to Publix; there’s also a nice little Starbucks almost opposite Embassy Suites and a Walgreens just on the corner of the street leading to the cruise terminals - all very easy and convenient.

Wherever you choose to stay i’m sure you will have an amazing time - have fun.

Hi, a few years ago my partner and I stayed at the Westin Diplomat, Hollywood - beautiful hotel right on the beach. We were on the eleventh floor and the view was amazing.

In Fort Lauderdale we have stayed at Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six and can definitely recommend staying here in one of the tower rooms overlooking the marina. They have a shuttle to the cruise terminal (which is right across the street.

We are going over to Florida 2 weeks yesterday to board the Regal Princess on 26th November and this time we are staying at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina in a high marina view room - I will let you know what it’s like once we’ve stayed there (I usually write a live from blog).

We usually just walk to the terminal if the ship is at pier 2 - it’s an easy eight minute walk from Pier Sixty-Six or the Hilton (though the other piers are too far and difficult to access on foot). Others are right when they say that from the hotels in SE 17th Street its close to Publix; there’s also a nice little Starbucks almost opposite Embassy Suites and a Walgreens just on the corner of the street leading to the cruise terminals - all very easy and convenient.

Wherever you choose to stay i’m sure you will have an amazing time - have fun.

Please do not attempt to walk from Pier 66 to the cruise terminal. Not unless you want to kill your partner half way up the A1A Bridge. (Frflatt is my partner and would get short shrift if he even suggested walking from Pier 66.)

Thank you all so very much. I am really impressed will all the lovely helpful comments that you have given.

We will get on with sorting it out within the next couple of days.

We are going to hire a car at some point, but probably not immediately we land as we will be so tired after a long flight and been up for overy 24 hours. I have driven stateside quite a few times, but it's been 9 years since my last trip, so driving on the right is a bit challenging for the first day or so.

So any suggestions for either a taxi or transfer from Miami Int' to Fort Lauderdale would also be useful.

Many thanks again everyone, I hope you all enjoy your next cruises as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Happy Holidays to you all.

PinkJellyBaby (Angie)

We're staying at the Embassy Suites on SE 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale. They have a nice evening reception with drinks and snacks and an included breakfast.

It's close to the port in Ft. Lauderdale and you can get a cab or uber or rent a car.

How did you plan to get from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale?

Hi Susan and Chuck,

Many thanks for your reply.

We are going to hire a car at some point, but probably not immediately we land as we will be so tired after a long flight and been up for overy 24 hours. I have driven stateside quite a few times, but it's been 9 years since my last trip, so driving on the right is a bit challenging for the first day or so.

So any suggestions for either a taxi or transfer from Miami Int' to Fort Lauderdale would also be useful.

Many thanks again, I hope you all enjoy your next cruises as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Happy thanksgiving and Happy Holidays.

PinkJellyBaby (Angie)

On Princess last cruise, we stayed at the Hilton marina for one night, pre-cruise. This time, we asked for a beach hotel... princess booked us at the B Ocean resort. The critic are worrying us a little bit... the hotel was just renovated and it is right on the beach... so we will see... it is just for one night...

You might want to try airbnb for a place in the Miami - Fort Lauderdale corridor. I agree with the poster(s) that you need not stay a week near Port Everglades. The transit to Fort Lauderdale on cruise day is not complicated if you are in the general area.

Agree with fishywood. While SE 17th St hotels are close to Port Everglades they are not within walking distance to the beach. If beach is in your daily plans would suggest a location along the Ft. Lauderdale beach. If beach is not in your daily plans you can stay in a SE 17th St. location and use the Sun Trolley to get around the popular locations. You might also want to think about renting a car. There is much to do and see that you can not get to without a car. Sawgrass Mills Mall comes to mind. Remember we drive on the right. One other thing to mention, it can be cool in December, so bring along a sweatshirt, sweater or light jacket.

Our choices are all on the 17th St. Causeway near the Convention Center. The Holiday Inn Express, ExtendedStay, and Embassy Suites are the first choice based upon price and location close to the port, great restaurants and the offer of a shuttle to the port if you have flown in. We had a history of driving down from MI every year we lived there and these are the hotels we always used.

Even though we now live full time about an hour and a half from the port, we still use one of these hotels the night before embarkation to avoid the morning traffic drive and a chance to have a nice dinner and our ritual bagel at Einstein's in the morning and then on to the port.

Hi Susan and Chuck,

Many thanks for your reply.

Many thanks again, I hope you all enjoy your next cruises as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Happy thanksgiving and Happy Holidays.

PinkJellyBaby (Angie)

Hi. We use the Super Shuttle from Miami to Fort Lauderdale. Will be doing this on 25 November. From Miami to the Hilton Marina it is costing about $60-70. This is for a shared vehicle which we have found to be okay in the past. It of course takes longer. Exclusive trips are around $100 or so.

Please do not attempt to walk from Pier 66 to the cruise terminal. Not unless you want to kill your partner half way up the A1A Bridge. (Frflatt is my partner and would get short shrift if he even suggested walking from Pier 66.)

But, can't you suitcase surf the downhill portion?