Royal Princess- Lack of a Walkable Promenade Deck

Rbel4

So now the promenade deck is virtually nonexistent on the premium new builds. HAL, Princess and Celebrity. Such a shame as the premium cruiser is the one who appreciates them the most. Hopefully they will be re-introduced in future new builds.

It’s a shame the premium brands haven’t explored revenue opportunities with this space instead of losing them altogether. I.e. who wouldn’t mind specialty dining (Sabatini’s, Afredos or Share) with alfresco seating. Or a rear bar on level 7 opening out onto the wrap around promenade. I would pay a premium for a Lenai room (currently offered on HAL). In fact I would prefer it than a tiny balcony.

If they put a little thought into it. I'm sure they could come up with a balance which suits the passengers need and the corporate requirement of revenue opportunities. The main stream lines have already ticked that box.

NCL Breakaway has this with alfresco at all Specialty venues with plenty of room for walkers as well

An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.

As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.

You have got to be kidding . Try the gym.

I am one of those that makes my daily walk around the promenade deck an important part of my cruise experience. I love the wildlife sightings, the fresh air and the occasional pleasant greeting from fellow passengers to help set the tone for my day and I look forward to this. The upper walking deck is not an option because I burn so easily. (On some ships it's kind of stinky from the exhaust , too, depending on the location.) To the folks who flippantly suggest the gym or treadmill, it just isn't that easy for me in particular. I'm not sure how the gym ceiling is on the Royal, but in all the other ships my head hits the ceiling when I use the treadmill and elliptical. So, no, some of us aren't kidding. The promenade deck really is the only option for my daily walk. We all have things that are important to us and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would not book a cruise on the Royal or Regal unless it was a port intensive itinerary in places I am just dying to go.

NCL Breakaway has this with alfresco at all Specialty venues with plenty of room for walkers as well

This is a excellent solution. The speciality venues are usually only used in the evening also. Leaving this space to be used in a traditional sense during the day

Have you considered using the treadmills?

I second the treadmill idea.

long cruiser

Surely you do not consider using an indoor treadmill as being as good as a walk in the ocean air during which you can talk to your walking companion. without shouting (and disturbing others).

I'm new to cruising but I never would have guessed that a full promenade was a big issue for people.

My first cruise was on the Royal last fall and lack of a promenade didn't even register; there was so much else to do.

But, in reading through this thread, I suspect some of you longtime cruisers have put many days into ships that didn't have as many bells and whistles as the newer ships and had to, what's the term... socialize?

I am one of those that makes my daily walk around the promenade deck an important part of my cruise experience. I love the wildlife sightings, the fresh air and the occasional pleasant greeting from fellow passengers to help set the tone for my day and I look forward to this. The upper walking deck is not an option because I burn so easily. (On some ships it's kind of stinky from the exhaust , too, depending on the location.) To the folks who flippantly suggest the gym or treadmill, it just isn't that easy for me in particular. I'm not sure how the gym ceiling is on the Royal, but in all the other ships my head hits the ceiling when I use the treadmill and elliptical. So, no, some of us aren't kidding. The promenade deck really is the only option for my daily walk. We all have things that are important to us and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I would not book a cruise on the Royal or Regal unless it was a port intensive itinerary in places I am just dying to go.

My husband has the same problem. However, we did discover that on the Grand there was one elliptical that had a tile over it that was obviously damaged by one cruiser. The dent in it was exactly the extra 1/2 inch that my husband needed to clear the ceiling. :D Of course, he would always have to wait for that one particular elliptical if someone else was using it. We will be on the Royal later this year and will miss the promenade that we are used to on all the Grand Class ships we've sailed on but it's pretty port-intensive so it won't be that much of a loss.

I'm new to cruising but I never would have guessed that a full promenade was a big issue for people.

My first cruise was on the Royal last fall and lack of a promenade didn't even register; there was so much else to do.

But, in reading through this thread, I suspect some of you longtime cruisers have put many days into ships that didn't have as many bells and whistles as the newer ships and had to, what's the term... socialize?

Not really I'm only 29. Most of the ships have had the current bells and whistles. I've seen young and old enjoying the promenade.

We also enjoy walking the promenade decks..I hate Royal Caribbean's indoor mall idea...I can do that in Las Vegas, I want outdoor space, and not just a loud and windy top sport deck. We haven't sailed on the new Princess ships for this very reason. We are sailing on the Ruby in April. I like Princess but this transition by several lines to indoor versus outdoor space is not an improvement. I don't enjoy the onboard shopping... I want to feel like I am on a ship, in the ocean, with fresh air.

We also enjoy walking the promenade decks..I hate Royal Caribbean's indoor mall idea...I can do that in Las Vegas, I want outdoor space, and not just a loud and windy top sport deck. We haven't sailed on the new Princess ships for this very reason. We are sailing on the Ruby in April. I like Princess but this transition by several lines to indoor versus outdoor space is not an improvement. I don't enjoy the onboard shopping... I want to feel like I am on a ship, in the ocean, with fresh air.

I agree completely. I am intrigued by the very prewar ocean liner look on the inside of Royal class ships.. One is left with the impression that the cruise lines are purposefully trying to get us to forget that we are on a ship. With the current newbuilds there is less and less connection to the ocean and a genuine nautical experience. I'm very over the "resort at Vegas" approach mass market cruise lines are taking.

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

• 6 months later...

so, if you cannot walk the perimeter of the ship on the promenade how much of the deck CAN you walk. Is it only cut off at the front? Can you still walk around the back? Is there a place to cut through somewhere at the front? Seems like maybe we had to do that on another ship we were on. Ruby or Golden...

We had booked on the Royal shortly after it first began to sail, and we plan to do a Trans-Atlantic on it next year. We also have booked quite frequently Celebrity. Yes, we did find some problems with the Royal, as we did with Solstice Class on Celebrity. We would have liked a walk around on the Promenade deck, but considering the whole ship, I would not let this factor be sufficient that I would cancel my cruise. Walk up and back, or go upstairs and walk on the track. The Royal is a great ship, don't miss out on it.

so, if you cannot walk the perimeter of the ship on the promenade how much of the deck CAN you walk. Is it only cut off at the front? Can you still walk around the back? Is there a place to cut through somewhere at the front? Seems like maybe we had to do that on another ship we were on. Ruby or Golden...

No. It isn't at all like the Grand Class ships where you have to go up to Emerald Deck to complete the loop. There is no loop. The public areas outside on the Promenade Deck are simply patios that you can walk out on. There is no "walking around the deck" in any manner with which you have become accustomed. Look at the deck plan.

http://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=RP

The only public areas are the ones colored in beige. The gray-scale part of the deck is off limits.

Here is a photo of the aft portion, (port side). Once you get to the back rail, you are at a dead end.

royalprincess-deck18aftplatform-copy.jpg

This is a photo of the mid-ship portion. As you can see, both sections are large enough to walk around on and stretch your legs. But they do not form a walking circuit like the other ships.

2_prom14-451x334.jpg

Edited by JimmyVWine

I am in the minority here, I actually like the "promenade" decks on the Royal and Regal. Its nice to be able to sit and enjoy the views and talk to other people in a circle if you like.

On the other ships, trying to sit and enjoy the views or stretch out, you are putting yourself in harms way by those who are running by. To me they should not allow running on that deck. If you get out of your chair without looking both ways, you may step in from of someone who is running and possibly get hurt. I don't know how many times I had to move my chair out of the way of the runners, so I don't even try to sit on that deck anymore.

JimmyVWine,

Thanks for the response. I had been looking at the deck plans and didn't realize that the beige part was the only open part. That info clears this up a lot. So, to be sure, you cannot walk beneath the life boats at all? That is 'less than optimal'.

Edited by msled

An Open Posting to Princess Cruises- The lack of a walkable promenade deck on the Royal Princess will result in us cancelling our scheduled December cruise.

As background, my wife and I have been on 14 Princess Cruises over the last 20 years all over the world (Caribbean, Alaska, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Panama, Norway and elsewhere). Regardless of our itinerary, one of the most important things to us to do on every Princess cruise was our daily exercise walks on the covered promenade deck.

I was very disappointed to learn that the Royal Princess does not have a walker friendly promenade deck for people like us. I understand that it is cut off in the front and back of the ship and is too narrow in parts to do exercise walks. For us, the jogging trail at the top of the ship does not work due to my wife's sun sensitivity plus it not being the same quiet ambience of a promenade deck.

As a result of this Royal Princess design feature, we will for the first time in years start looking at other cruise lines. We may continuing to go on some of the older Princess Ships, but that fleet is aging. Our hearts are broken over this as we were one cruise away from Elite Status. We were looking forward to the other innovations of the Royal Princess class of ships. However, for us, this promenade issue is a deal breaker as it is a very important part of our cruise we thought would never be taken away.

What is wrong with the gym??

Can a cruise truly be considered a cruise without a walk around the promenade deck? I would say no but I would also say the same thing about not dressing formal on formal nights. Yes things change but I don't have to like it. Oh and stay off my lawn!

Here is a photo of the aft portion, (port side). Once you get to the back rail, you are at a dead end.

royalprincess-deck18aftplatform-copy.jpg

Jimmy, this isn't a picture of the Royal-class aft Promenade Deck, it is? Back there there are only railings, with no green glass. Your picture looks like it's up by the forward mast?

11314402236_d46585e615_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Can a cruise truly be considered a cruise without a walk around the promenade deck? I would say no but I would also say the same thing about not dressing formal on formal nights. Yes things change but I don't have to like it. Oh and stay off my lawn!

Too funny! ;)

For what it's worth I spent 14-nights on Royal Princess and to me it was a wonderful cruise, my best ever out of 50 cruises to date. I've also cruised several other ships (roughly a dozen times) that have no real walkable promenade deck (the Fantasy-class of Carnival Cruise Line come to mind), as well as ships like the Allure of the Seas (which still has an extensive jogging/walking track).

A cruise is what WE make it, doing what's important to us. I don't care if a ship has a walkable promenade deck or not. Some will only consider a cruise on a ship that have this feature. Just because you or anyone else like walking the sheltered decks at night in your formalwear means I do, or have to. For my last cruise I barely packed anything dressier than a pair of khakis. And no, I don't dine in the MDR.

I understand that we all have different likes and dislikes, and we should respect that. If the Royal-class don't fill the bill, pick another ship. There are plenty of them out there. Or, you can sail on a Royal-class and just deal with it. It is as simple as that.

:D

Interesting comment.

I suppose that's reason enough to cancel your cruise.

So, I wonder how many more loyal Princess PAX will follow suit? :confused:

BTW, can't you get your daily walking/jogging exercise on one of the equipment in the fitness room?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

• 1 month later...

Asking someone who has been on the Royal Princess.

It appears from deck plans that they only interruption in the promenade deck is at the bow. Is this correct? Can you walk MOST of the way around the ship (except for the bow)?

We love walking the promenade deck both for the exercise and to watch the waves go by, but it is not a deal breaker for us. We tried Celebrity Eclipse and Equinox. All the Celebrity ships in that class have no promenade access thru the bow or the stern.

Asking someone who has been on the Royal Princess.

It appears from deck plans that they only interruption in the promenade deck is at the bow. Is this correct? Can you walk MOST of the way around the ship (except for the bow)?

We love walking the promenade deck both for the exercise and to watch the waves go by, but it is not a deal breaker for us. We tried Celebrity Eclipse and Equinox. All the Celebrity ships in that class have no promenade access thru the bow or the stern.

if you enjoy walking behind lifeboats (with no view) then your in luck!. Its similar to celebrity. from memory narrower though