Opinions please on Haven access

maja651

I’m pretty sure that the OP is asking because she has a cabin that, at full occupancy, would permit up to 4 persons into the Haven but she is is currently only “using” 2 of those spaces.

No idea on Haven-suite vs non-haven-suite pricing here, but would take a guess that both her solo pal (in particular) and the other couple are paying more for their rooms than if they were cozying up in the OPs spare room..? (Correct me if I am wrong here).

Should they automatically be entitled to enter the Haven? No. But is she asking for something for free? I really don’t think so.

BTW I love the airplane comparison - as somehow who has wangled many an upgrade through a mixture of FF status and massively over fluttering of eyelashes, I guess I should be hung, drawn and quartered on the “theft” front!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I still disagree that it is not the same at all. And, although my friends are not in Haven suites, as they are in cabins that are connecting to ours, with a connecting reservation, and are in FULL PRICE NON-UPSELL SUITES, I do think that this is a special circumstance. Whether or not I ask for it now is up in the air at this time. And, if I do ask, and the concierge says no, I will not be upset.

I believe that 3 full fare suites should be given Haven access. Abuse would be if you dragged passengers from lower inside cabins to be with you. Get your TA or cruise consultant to assist b/4 you sail. Otherwise get the Hotel Mgr. on board to assist. NCL should value passengers willing to pay for the best they have to offer on a ship. As for these 1st class airline compares the issue is security. We have sailed on NCL where passengers not in suites, but on 3 or 4 BTB's were given suite privileges. The only way I would object is if there were many children involved. Enjoy your cruise.

I believe that 3 full fare suites should be given Haven access. Abuse would be if you dragged passengers from lower inside cabins to be with you. Get your TA or cruise consultant to assist b/4 you sail. Otherwise get the Hotel Mgr. on board to assist. NCL should value passengers willing to pay for the best they have to offer on a ship. As for these 1st class airline compares the issue is security. We have sailed on NCL where passengers not in suites, but on 3 or 4 BTB's were given suite privileges. The only way I would object is if there were many children involved. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, but I do understand that all 3 of these suites are not Haven access, and under normal circumstance, full fare or not, should not be allowed in the Haven. On these smaller ships, the Haven is so small, I get why people would be annoyed with non-Haven guests being up there. If we were a group or 4 in the owner's suite, 3 in the one PH, and 4 in the other, for a grand total or 11 peeps versus the 5 that we currently are, I would not even consider asking. But, since we are 5 TOTAL, and would only want to use it that one day in Roatan, I don't think it is a huge deal. Oh, and I I almost forgot. There will actually only be 3 of us, so only ONE additional person to ask for Haven access, on the Roatan day. Our friends in the non-adjoining suite will be doing something on the island that day.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. :D

Thank you. We are all in suites, so my friends already are entitled to all of the suite perks, just not Haven access. Honestly, the only time I think we will even use the Haven is on the Roatan day, as we do not plan to leave the ship that day. With our huge front facing balconies, even if they do not get access, it is not a huge deal as we will probably be using our own balconies anyway.

I believe the only way to sail on NCL is in the Haven. The rest of the ship is so crowded like the mall on black friday. I believe that it is because not enough public space . The ships should have another public deck and a large theatre to hold most activities like bingo lectures etc. If you aren’t up at the crack of dawn no place to sit by the pool. The haven is private very comfortable and the service is excellent. The restaurant in the haven is very good as is the Haven bar. When you want to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant you can make reservations with the Haven concierge. From the minute you enter the terminal you will get vip treatment until the moment you leave the terminal to go home. The haven offers you a “huge” private balcony.

I believe the only way to sail on NCL is in the Haven. The rest of the ship is so crowded like the mall on black friday. I believe tat is because not enough public space The ships should have another public deck and a large theatre to hold most activities like bingo lectures etc. If you aren’t up at the crack of dawn no place to sit by the pool. The haven is private very comfortable and the service is excellent. The restaurant in the haven is very good as is the Haven bar. When you want to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant you can make reservations with the Haven concierge. From the minute you enter the terminal you will get vip treatment until the moment you leave the terminal to go home. The haven offers you a “huge” private balcony.

The Haven on the Jewel class does not have a restaurant or bar. It is very different than the larger ships. I do agree with you, on those large ships, the ONLY want to go is in a Haven suite.

Thank you, but I do understand that all 3 of these suites are not Haven access, and under normal circumstance, full fare or not, should not be allowed in the Haven. On these smaller ships, the Haven is so small, I get why people would be annoyed with non-Haven guests being up there.

The thing is....it isn't just about you and your particular cruise. Many, many people come to Cruise Critic for information. If it isn't made perfectly clear that those without Haven access shouldn't be in the Haven, imagine what would happen. EVERYONE thinks that their situation is different. It could be something as simple as "....my best friend of 30 years is sailing with us and doesn't have Haven access.....an extra 2 people isn't a big deal...." but if everyone thought that way, the Haven (on any ship) would be overcrowded. Now, imagine the people with Haven access who are stuck with a Haven experience that is filled with people who shouldn't have Haven access.

If we were a group or 4 in the owner's suite, 3 in the one PH, and 4 in the other, for a grand total or 11 peeps versus the 5 that we currently are, I would not even consider asking. But, since we are 5 TOTAL, and would only want to use it that one day in Roatan, I don't think it is a huge deal.

It's not the number of people. It's what those people are and aren't entitled to use based on their booked stateroom. Should everyone in a (non-Haven) suite who paid what your friends paid have Haven access also?

Oh, and I I almost forgot. There will actually only be 3 of us, so only ONE additional person to ask for Haven access, on the Roatan day.

Again, it isn't the number of people that is an issue. The H2 DOS or H4 Family Villa on Escape (for ex.) sleeps 6. If 2 people are staying in that suite, they aren't given an "extra" 4 spots in the Haven to give to whomever booked a stateroom that doesn't have Haven access.

Many of the people responding aren't just responding to you. They are giving information that will be seen by those who are just lurking.

I traveled in the OS a few times and on the Gem I asked the concierge if I could bring up a friend that was in the Aft Penthouse (only 2 of us in OS). Was told it was not allowed, but I could give them a tour of the Haven area.

I did that and we were there for about an hour or two with no issues, my friend has only booked Haven Rooms since as well.

I don't think I've ever even seen anyone use the upper sundeck on any day aboard a Jewel class ship, much less on a port day ....

You'll probably have your pick of places to quietly sunbathe all together, if the Haven doesn't work out. Enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Gee, if this is a port day then the main pool and sundeck should be empty too. So there should be no problem with you joining your friends in an area everyone in your group is entitled to be in. Super easy solution.

The Haven area on the Jewel Class ships is nothing like the newer ships. I don't know that we have ever used the Haven area on the older ships. Like someone stated earlier it is not used a lot. I see both sides of the question. They didn't pay for it so they have no right to it. But on the port day if no one is using it what would it hurt. So basically I am no help at all. Sorry.

Respectfully, I too only book full fare suites no upsells. I too work very very hard for my money. And choose a suite cruise every 1.5 -2 years. I am frugal. Use coupons. Drive cars 10-12 years. I too have travelled with family and friends in non suite or "entry level suites". That was their choice on their vacation spending and I have mine. I have NEVER EVER asked for a single favor. And never would.

I either meet up with them after Haven meals or if I wish to dine with them I go on their turf. Same for pool area, bars, sundecks.

Sometimes it was just me and one other, like my mom or sister in a suite that sleeps 4. Sure, we could have cammed my cousin and her friend in there to ensure suite perks for all but part of my reason for booking a suite is to be comfortable. That is a personal decision.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion but I respectfully disagree. No name calling here. I just believe very strongly that in order to guarantee suite or Haven perks for all... all must pay for them. It does not matter if it is crowded, occupied or not. I just believe fair is fair.

Are there exceptions made at the discretion of NCL? Yes. I have met a lady on the Sun given VIP staus, cruising solo in a non suite cabin. The senior staff knew her from her 120+ cruises on NCL. But she told me she never asks for favors.

Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. I get it and completely understand where you're coming from. Please keep in mind though, all are in suites. The only difference is that ours is the owners suite that happens to have Haven access. We wanted 3 suites right next to each other facing front, so paying for Haven suites for all really wasn't an option.

I appreciate that we can have different opinions without verbally attacking each other. :)

Thank you for your thoughts and opinion. I get it and completely understand where you're coming from. Please keep in mind though, all are in suites. The only difference is that ours is the owners suite that happens to have Haven access. We wanted 3 suites right next to each other facing front, so paying for Haven suites for all really wasn't an option.

I appreciate that we can have different opinions without verbally attacking each other. :)

I was in the Deluxe Owners Suite in March on the Epic. It was my sister, her 20 year old daughter and me. My niece met two nice young men who were in a suite as well, but not in the haven complex. Since it was Epic they were allowed carte blanche.

In 2015 we were on the Jewel in an aft penthouse. She made some friends in Moderno at breakfast who were in the haven and invited her to swim. As tough as it was I had to explain that it was not appropriate as our suite did not have access.

So, we were actually in rhe same scenario of your friends.

I was in the Deluxe Owners Suite in March on the Epic. It was my sister, her 20 year old daughter and me. My niece met two nice young men who were in a suite as well, but not in the haven complex. Since it was Epic they were allowed carte blanche.

In 2015 we were on the Jewel in an aft penthouse. She made some friends in Moderno at breakfast who were in the haven and invited her to swim. As tough as it was I had to explain that it was not appropriate as our suite did not have access.

So, we were actually in rhe same scenario of your friends.

I'm sorry but I still don't see our situations as the same. My friends, in particular the solo with the adjoining suite, booked at the same time. We have connected reservations. We did not meet randomly on a ship.

You probably could have saved yourself a lot of grief by researching this topic before posting. Opinions on this issue, regardless of the ship, swing heavily toward "If you haven't paid for the Haven, you shouldn't have access." Most posts on this issue sound just like this one.

Because your friends are also in suites and have similar access to the concierge, I would bow out of this thread and wait until I'm on the ship and see how crowded the Haven area is and then feel out the concierge and see if your friends could be granted access to the sundeck on the port day. Chances are the Haven area won't be busy on the port day and you may have luck. It's not like you're asking for them to have all the suite perks (they already have those), it's just a one time use of the sundeck on a day that most passengers will be on shore. From other comments on this thread, it doesn't appear that the Haven area on the Pearl is the same as bigger ships so if your friends are turned down, just find another area on the ship to hang out for that one port day - or leave the ship and find a beach.

on teh GEM haven (same size) the valet knew everyone and is saw people get bounced who didnt belong.

yes, it doesnt hurt to ask the concierge. but there is a reason why there is about a $2k difference between a suite and a haven access suite. if everyone asked for this favor and it was granted, teh haven would be meaningless. if your friends wanted haven access they should have booked it. otherwise, tehy need to accept that there may be times where you guys want to use it and they will have to find osmethign else to do. or you give up your benefit to spend time with them elsewhere ont he ship.

this is why i would never pay for haven if i was traveling with others who were non-haven. you either sacrifice perks you paid for to be a good travel companion, or you ditch your friends and/or try to skirt the rules.

I’m a rule follower, so I’m in the camp that thinks non-Haven guests should not be allowed in The Haven. I always book aft penthouses on the smaller ships, so I don't have Haven access.

When someone asks for special dispensation on here, I will sometimes ask them a question. When someone wanted to allow her 3 friends to check in with her as Platinum (they weren’t Platinum), because they wanted Vibe passes, I asked how she would feel if I let 3 non-suite guests check in with me, because they wanted Vibe passes and because of my actions, she was unable to get a pass. Of course, no response. So, I’ll ask you. How would you feel if you went to The Haven and couldn’t find a lounger, because other Haven guests invited non-Haven guests in and they took up all the loungers? I know that you are looking to do it on a port day, but still the question is relevant, because if the Concierge allows one guest to bring guests, he/she should allow everyone to bring guests.

Some have reported on here that they have been able to bring guests to The Haven and some have reported that they were not allowed. I guess it all boils down to what you feel is the right thing to do and you, and only you, have the answer to that.

No matter what your decision is, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona

on teh GEM haven (same size) the valet knew everyone and is saw people get bounced who didnt belong.

yes, it doesnt hurt to ask the concierge. but there is a reason why there is about a $2k difference between a suite and a haven access suite. if everyone asked for this favor and it was granted, teh haven would be meaningless. if your friends wanted haven access they should have booked it. otherwise, tehy need to accept that there may be times where you guys want to use it and they will have to find osmethign else to do. or you give up your benefit to spend time with them elsewhere ont he ship.

this is why i would never pay for haven if i was traveling with others who were non-haven. you either sacrifice perks you paid for to be a good travel companion, or you ditch your friends and/or try to skirt the rules.

I completely agree with you, and like I said earlier in my posts, I understand and believe those in the Haven should have exclusivity. It is not like I am thinking of asking for them to have 100% access. Just one port day, on the sundeck, and really only one person. If it doesn't work out, it is not a big deal at all. In fact, also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we may just enjoy our huge front facing balconies that day.

I agree also as to only booking the same level of cabin on a cruise on a ship. In fact, one of the friends was thinking of downgrading to a balcony from her suite, and I very much discouraged her to do that. I told her of all of the suite perks she would be losing, and ultimately that is what swayed her to stay put.

Regarding our particular sailing, it is a bit different, because our suite happens to have Haven access. I was not seeking out a Haven suite, we just wanted suites that had connecting doors, with more space than the normal 2 bedroom suite, as that bedroom is unacceptable for an adult, in our opinion. For that reason, my friend who is sailing solo, paid double for the front facing penthouse that connects to our suite. She is also a platinum plus NCL member, has sailed almost exclusively in suites, and very much understands the Haven and ship etiquette. Neither she nor I will freak out if the concierge says no. We sailed together last year in the Garden Villa on the Jewel over Christmas, so we know what the Jewel class Havens look like, although we didn't really use it for that sailing. It is really not that big of a deal. We just thought it could be nice to use the sun deck on the Roatan day. Can we use other sundecks? Yep, and we may just do that.

Thanks all for your feedback. I know this is a touchy subject. I definitely struck a nerve for some of you and you did the same right back at me. lol

Happy sailing!

Yes, it is. The Haven is a reserved area of the ship. First Class is a reserved area of the plane. Just because there may be extra room doesn’t mean you can give access away. It’s like asking that your friends in coach be given First Class meals.

This should be a FAQ because people ask all the time, “Can my friends come into the Haven with me?” Yes, just have them book a Haven room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mmmmmmm no, it really isn't comparable to asking for a first class seat or meal. It's more like a person in first class having a friend from coach come and stand and talk to them. And even that is a stretch because that person may be blocking someone's way to the lavatory or disturbing the quiet of someone sleeping.

I would say it is more akin to someone sneaking into the VIP check-in room at Bellagio or Aria, without having the penthouse suite reserved that allows such access. USUALLY there is plenty of space and no one really cares. Sometimes not. Should make a game time decision based on the situation at the time.

When someone asks for special dispensation on here, I will sometimes ask them a question. When someone wanted to allow her 3 friends to check in with her as Platinum (they weren’t Platinum), because they wanted Vibe passes, I asked how she would feel if I let 3 non-suite guests check in with me, because they wanted Vibe passes and because of my actions, she was unable to get a pass. Of course, no response. So, I’ll ask you. How would you feel if you went to The Haven and couldn’t find a lounger, because other Haven guests invited non-Haven guests in and they took up all the loungers? I know that you are looking to do it on a port day, but still the question is relevant, because if the Concierge allows one guest to bring guests, he/she should allow everyone to bring guests.

I'm curious as to how everyone (not just the OP) would answer the same question.

If I paid extra for the Haven and wanted to enjoy the sun deck on a port day in the perfect lounger that faced the sun and it was being used by a non Haven guest I would be pretty annoyed.

There's one answer...

If I paid extra for the Haven and wanted to enjoy the sun deck on a port day in the perfect lounger that faced the sun and it was being used by a non Haven guest I would be pretty annoyed.

How would you *know* they were non-Haven though? Do you get introduced to every Haven guest when you board? Do you get temporary tattoos? Secret handshake?

If a particular sun lounger in a particular spot that you particularly wanted was taken you would be peeved whoever’s sweaty body was in it.

How would you *know* they were non-Haven though? Do you get introduced to every Haven guest when you board? Do you get temporary tattoos? Secret handshake?

If a particular sun lounger in a particular spot that you particularly wanted was taken you would be peeved whoever’s sweaty body was in it.

I'll bet he wouldn't if it were yours. ;)