Alaska cruise-northbound or southbound? Ships to avoid?

j in tx

For the southbound cruises starting with land tours, what's the difference in starting in Anchorage/Whittier vs. Fairbanks? I've noticed that the cruise tours start in both places and seem to include some of the same lodges, etc.

If you start in Fairbanks, you are traveling in a straight line on the land part. Fairbanks to Denali to McKinley to the ship.

If you start in Anchorage you are traveling in a circle and have a very long transport by bus or train between Denali and Anchorage/Whittier either at the beginning or the end of the land tour, depending on which tour you choose.

We were on the Coral Princess northbound last July, followed by a four-day land tour. We absolutely loved the itinerary! As several have already mentioned, the scenery just gets more spectacular the further north you go. And with Denali as the climax, it’s hard to find fault with that!

You can’t go wrong with either itinerary, though—so schedule according to what works best for your flight schedule. The northbound cruises are a little LESS expensive than southbound, so you may want to check into that aspect, as well.

I see. We are booked on the Royal next year as the timing worked best with our schedule; I guess we will find out if the ship works for us. One of the nicest promenade decks we have experienced is HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. We must have spent the entire cruise on that deck taking in all the scenery --- never crowded, great walking deck and plenty of places to sit.

I hope you have a great trip on the Millennium this summer.

Absolutely southbound for sure. Some of the most beautiful cruising is done on the southbound in daylight hours. Plus, the timing into Glacier bay is better as it isn't a 6am arrival on the southbound and a 6pm (dinner time for most) departure. Sure College Fjord on the first day after embarkation is early but you have a complete day at sea after that so can go and have a nap while out in the Gulf. The final day before arrival into Vancouver is all inside passage, which you miss 90% of this on the northbound as it is dark. The other positive of the southbound is the weather and seas can be rough after departing Ketchikan and out in open waters. On the south this is at night while you sleep, on the north this is from early morning through till late evening where it can be rough.

Thanks, Coral. Are you cruising to Alaska this year?

I was. I had a B2B on the Coral Princess booked but in January I switched to Norway. It was cheaper - go figure. In the end, Norway will be more expensive as tours are more expensive there but it will be a different type of fjord trip for me.

I was. I had a B2B on the Coral Princess booked but in January I switched to Norway. It was cheaper - go figure. In the end, Norway will be more expensive as tours are more expensive there but it will be a different type of fjord trip for me.

Your "revised" cruise plans sound wonderful. Have a fabulous time --- post a few comments when you return.

Your "revised" cruise plans sound wonderful. Have a fabulous time --- post a few comments when you return.

I hope so! Same as when I travel to Alaska, my prayers for a dry trip are in existence for Norway!

I struggled on finding some info on excursions so I hope to do an extensive review when I return.

I see. We are booked on the Royal next year as the timing worked best with our schedule; I guess we will find out if the ship works for us. One of the nicest promenade decks we have experienced is HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. We must have spent the entire cruise on that deck taking in all the scenery --- never crowded, great walking deck and plenty of places to sit.

Thanks for the feedback.

We are also booked on the Royal next year and I can't wait!!! :D

Consider renting a car for scenic touring while you’re in port. After all, you know the old slogan - have you driven a fjord lately?

Consider renting a car for scenic touring while you’re in port. After all, you know the old slogan - have you driven a fjord lately?

Sort of difficult on the fjord boat tours :)

I hope so! Same as when I travel to Alaska, my prayers for a dry trip are in existence for Norway!

I struggled on finding some info on excursions so I hope to do an extensive review when I return.

Looking forward to your review!

• 2 weeks later...

We're going on our third Alaska cruise next June. This time with our whole family (9 of us) including the grandchildren. We are limited by their time schedule so have chosen to do a northbound one week cruise from Vancouver. We've done two southbound cruisetours and loved them. Important part of this cruise is just being together as a family and exposing the grands to the wonders of cruising and of course the beauty and vastness of Alaska.

Important part of this cruise is just being together as a family and exposing the grands to the wonders of cruising and of course the beauty and vastness of Alaska.

We have similar priorities. DH and I are taking 2 grandkids (11 years old). Being with them (alone without other family so we can kind of spoil them), exposure to cruising, and seeing a different part of Alaska other than where we all live...those are our priorities!

i am getting overwhelmed researching Alaska cruises. Do any of you have strong feelings about choosing northbound or southbound cruises (pros or cons) ? Also, any ships to avoid? Or consider?

Thanks for any advice!

As a Seattle native I've always preferred the Northbound travel (whether by our WA state ferries to San Juans, Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, WA) or the 1-way cruise to Whittier (from Vancouver) last June. I think the landscape gets "more wild" as you move north, and am not sure if the landscape would be a let-down starting with the awesome Glaciers.

Also - YES to what others have said preferring covered Princess ships; we did Star last June.

And YES to Glacier bay, if possible.

But, MANY folks say do land tour first if doing that.. and rest afterwards. Have fun planning!

J - I hope you don't mind a fellow Texan jumping in, but it's on the same lines. I booked us the Northern route Vancouver to Whittier then plan on renting a vehicle and doing our own land tour to Denali and maybe Fairbanks. Anyone done this?

• 2 weeks later...
We are also booked on the Royal next year and I can't wait!!! :D

We are booked on the Royal Southbound next year. Worked best for our schedule plus it was the only one with connecting inside rooms for our family of 4. Wasn't too much more than one inside and drastically cheaper than all of us in one balcony cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

We leave on Monday for Vancouver and will board the Coral for the Northbound...this will be our 6th trip to Alaska and the scenery never gets old....We enjoyed the Ruby so no complaints there and we love the Royal so I guess it is all a matter of opinion..we were not thrilled with the Grand but many people like that ship....Regardless, Alaska is an American treasure....we were in Norway last month and many places reminded us of Alaska....