QM2 World tour, Rudeness of guests

simonpjd

Hmmm. We’ve been on 5 Transatlantics and never come across any of this.

Maybe we’ve been lucky?

We have noticed that there appears to be a difference in the guests on TransAtlantic crossings vs those on WC and WC segments. I would venture a guess that those on a WC are more interested in their port excursions than in their on-ship experience, and unfortunately, some bring their bad manners with them.

Many, if not most, of those we've met while on WC segments said they were regulars on other cruise lines and on their first Cunard cruise. From personal observation, there was a relatively small percentage of the guests that were actually doing the full, complete WC.

Rudeness isn't confined, of course, to cruises or indeed to one or more lines or ships. I think we notice rudeness more on cruises being in the relatively confined spaces of a ship and in situations where, of course, one is being... served or asking for service far more than otherwise

But it's one reason I resolutely avoid "lido" dining of any description... all those bony fingers jabbed assertively in the general direction of trays of food or staff behind them. Or indeed, as too often, grabbing food with bare hands or turning serving utensils around to serve themselves. In the end, it all rather resembles a bun fight on the last boat out of East Prussia. Americans, in particular, can shout out the "specifications" for a sandwich at a decibel level and a rapidity to think they were taking bets at the track. Why so many seem to prefer this to a civilised meal properly served in the dining room is quite beyond me.

On our last cruise in QE we encountered numerous rude, selflish passengers who took upon themselves to drag their deck chairs to completely block the clearly marked shuffleboard courts. No one thought of putting away their used towels when they left, either, and the decks looked a shambles. That's also the fault, of course, of the crew, too.

But I don't think Cunard is the worse of the bunch by any stretch of the imagination. Me, I prefer it on account of the mostly British passengers in that the overall decibel level is ever so much lower than U.S. market ships.

Edited by kohl57

It was many years later that I came to hear of a Latin phrase that summed up the attitude of the crew – Nemo me lacessit impune – so be warned if you feel like behaving like an idiot on board.

"Nemo me impune lacessit" is the motto of three Scottish regiments in the British army. Freely translated into Scots it comes out as "Wha daur meddle wi' me?" We have got annoyed when we see fellow passengers being rude to the staff and we have intervened with the Maitre d' on occasion. Thanks for that - in addition, we will just quietly smile to ourselves!

Ha. It sounds much better in Scots than Latin. Oh and I should really stop relying on my memory these days - impune and lacessit in the wrong order, a real schoolboy error.

Don't know about you, my dear Sir, but my schoolboy days are long since gone. Wrong order is not considered a transgression any more. I hope.

Interesting thread. I just returned from Viking Sun's inaugural world cruise and many of the complaints/observations mentioned here were equally apparent on our cruise as well. The "privileged, me first" mentality is alive and well. Anyone contemplating a long voyage or world cruise would enjoy that great old movie "Ship of Fools". Ships have changed but, sadly, people have not.:cool:

Sadly the world seems to be increasingly populated by the 'me, myself and I' brigade. Not much hope for the next generation.

Although there are positive things to it, I think digitization adds to this phenomenon. Politics and the nerds in Silicon Valley seem to forget about humanism. Digitization is a useful tool for mankind to whom it should serve without trying to abolish it.

I have never encountered excesive rudeness on Cunard. On the contrary I remember how many nice people I met.

However once on Oceania the atmosphere was not very good. There was an incident at the table next to me where I felt obliged I had to inform the Maitre D' what exactly happened and the waiter was not at fault at all. This was a cruise to the Black Sea and some fellow US passengers behaved very derogatory towards the local people. I don't know if this was a typical Oceania crowd, I haven't been back since

We have noticed that there appears to be a difference in the guests on TransAtlantic crossings vs those on WC and WC segments. I would venture a guess that those on a WC are more interested in their port excursions than in their on-ship experience, and unfortunately, some bring their bad manners with them.

Many, if not most, of those we've met while on WC segments said they were regulars on other cruise lines and on their first Cunard cruise. From personal observation, there was a relatively small percentage of the guests that were actually doing the full, complete WC.

One thing I can not understand with these people who THINK they are better than the crew and think they are at their beck and call, do they not remember they had to go out to work? and I would think they did not work as hard or worked away from families for months at a time. If any of these people can be bothered to read comments on Cruise Critics the should hang their heads in shame.😡

One thing I can not understand with these people who THINK they are better than the crew and think they are at their beck and call, do they not remember they had to go out to work? and I would think they did not work as hard or worked away from families for months at a time. If any of these people can be bothered to read comments on Cruise Critics the should hang their heads in shame.😡
VERY well said luckymal. I agree with your every word. Thank you.

But it's one reason I resolutely avoid "lido" dining of any description... all those bony fingers jabbed assertively in the general direction of trays of food or staff behind them. Or indeed, as too often, grabbing food with bare hands or turning serving utensils around to serve themselves. In the end, it all rather resembles a bun fight on the last boat out of East Prussia. Americans, in particular, can shout out the "specifications" for a sandwich at a decibel level and a rapidity to think they were taking bets at the track. Why so many seem to prefer this to a civilised meal properly served in the dining room is quite beyond me.

I agree. It was only on our sixth crossing on the QM2 that we had a light snack in Kings Court - just a piece of cheese and a slice of smoked salmon in lieu of lunch. Any other time we walked through, it did indeed appear to be a bun fight.

There is another reason I avoid buffets at sea. I have no evidence of this, but it seems to me that the increase of incidents of Norovirus may have a relation to the increase in buffets at sea. When buffets were rare, the incidents of Norovirus (or whatever it was called decades ago, if it was called anything) seemed to be fewer. Even if this is not true, the lack of hygiene that I have seen when I was just snooping around the buffets is a deterrent to partake.

I suppose the purpose of this post was in part to get a reaction from the Americans reading it, but I'm not biting except to say that when I hear someone talking very loud I assume they are hard of hearing, not rude. I grew up with a profoundly deaf person and he spoke loudly all the time, he didn't realize it. We all just got used to it.

I suppose the purpose of this post was in part to get a reaction from the Americans reading it, but I'm not biting except to say that when I hear someone talking very loud I assume they are hard of hearing, not rude. I grew up with a profoundly deaf person and he spoke loudly all the time, he didn't realize it. We all just got used to it.

Not really, since I am an American. Who appreciates that, yes, we tend to talk louder... rather louder than Britons, in public spaces especially restaurants and especially in cruise ship lido "dining" venues. I don't think all that din is owing to hearing issues although too much time around it can certainly contribute to it.

I hate this assumption that no one other than ship crew work hard or away from family for long periods of time.

I’d never abuse staff, but almost daily I read about how hard the crew have it, being away from family etc.

This rudness or the lack of good manners are all over - of course not just on board ships. The FIRST ME mentality is to find in the highest places- and cultivated there....!

I can´t even count how often I satin the waiting room at the doctors and people entering just sat down without a word or a Good morning, ... whatever!

I try so see just the good mannered ones- the others are - well let´s say, it´s best to " oversee" them.

Of course the staff on ships work very hard, are away from the family´s and so on so forth.

There so need FOR NOBODY to snubnose them. If they do their job not properly- they have to be told- as we all are when we make mistakes in our jobs. Otherwise a nice " Thank you" accompanied by a smile goes always the right way!

I'm a flight attendant for 24 years on a major US international airline. I have an endless barrage of stories regarding rude and obnoxious behavior that would make your head spin. One thing is for certain, rude behavior knows no boundaries of nationality, race, sex, or economic status. From my own personal experiences I have opinions of which nationalities are the most obnoxious and rude, and I can tell you American isn't one of them. That in itself might surprise you.

Not too sure BA cabin crew would agree with you.

Oh I think they might and I’m friends with quite a few. We often layover at the same hotels in various international destinations. All depends on where they fly. Anyway it’s really not possible to group “Americans” as a whole. We are too diverse, made up of immigrants from all over the world. A melting pot of various cultures and backgrounds. That is what makes it so great and I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Where I live in South Florida I might as well be in South America or Cuba. Even Russia in some sections. The tropics right here in the USA.

The world has changed and there are other nationalities have taken over the reign from the “Ugly American” stereotype. Truth be told, one of the most obnoxious and drunken routes I've ever worked was to a city right in the UK that shall remain nameless. We would actually run out of alcohol on the plane. Still though there is far worse.

Edited by eroller

:')

I'm a flight attendant for 24 years on a major US international airline. I have an endless barrage of stories regarding rude and obnoxious behavior that would make your head spin. One thing is for certain, rude behavior knows no boundaries of nationality, race, sex, or economic status. From my own personal experiences I have opinions of which nationalities are the most obnoxious and rude, and I can tell you American isn't one of them. That in itself might surprise you.

The first time I went to the USA one of the things which surprised me the most was how polite people were. Going around a supermarket in Britain I've very often been rudely pushed aside by someone's trolley. In the US, people would apologise if they came around the corner and almost touched your trolly with their trolley. It was a pleasure to shop there.:D

• 2 months later...

We were on the first segment on QE & met some lovely "all the wayers". But did noticed a lot of rude people especially with the staff . We were younger then most. I said age & money should not equal rudeness. Manners show class nit money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums