World Club status question

Canuker

I see that Platinum level for World Club membership comes with 7 voyages.

What, exactly is a "voyage" here?

Example: if I travel NYC - Southampton - NYC on one booking, does that count as one or two voyages?

If I book the two legs separately, presumably they are certainly 2 voyages?

I think if it's on one booking it will count as one voyage. But you'd also earn at least 14 nights, and that probably moves you further along in terms of nights than one voyage in terms of voyages

In other words, one voyage credit is more valuable if you typically cruise fewer than ten nights, while accumulated nights are more valuable if you typically cruise more than ten nights.

Example: if I travel NYC - Southampton - NYC on one booking, does that count as one or two voyages?

One booking = one ‘voyage’, including ones where segments may be booked separately. I think there are special rules for World Cruise segments.

The marketing is fantastic!

They've got people tripping over themselves to climb to the exalted height of Diamond and spending thousands to get there.

For what? a $15 meal voucher, a couple of dollars off your cleaning bill and a couple of hours of free internet. Unless of course you're a great fan of cheap fizz at cocktail parties.

We're Diamond, but miss most of the parties. Too crowded.

Stewart

The marketing is fantastic!

They've got people tripping over themselves to climb to the exalted height of Diamond and spending thousands to get there.

For what? a $15 meal voucher, a couple of dollars off your cleaning bill and a couple of hours of free internet. Unless of course you're a great fan of cheap fizz at cocktail parties.

We're Diamond, but miss most of the parties. Too crowded.

Stewart

The only thing I regularly value as a Diamond Member is the many hours of free internet time (usually with an extra "embarkation special" deal). Often the discount on the cleaning bill only happens once you've used up all on-board-credit, the meal voucher is merely swapping some free food for different free food (and not much use if you're in the "Grills", maybe a different place to eat if you're in Britannia grade). The cocktail parties are OK (but I have been known to skip them). The wine tasting... never bother.

As a friend said, when looking at his little "Diamond" pin... "When I think how much money I've given to Cunard to get this... :( "

I agree completely with all you have said Pepperrn.

As for the diamond pin, I've lost mine! I used to 'wear' my pins on my handbag strap. None of the others ever fell off but the diamond one did (or was pinched - that's just occurred to me ;);) - such a valuable commodity).

... Unless of course you're a great fan of cheap fizz at cocktail parties.

Stewart

I noticed last year on our two voyages that red and white wine and gin and tonic was offered on the trays as an alternative to the cheap bubbly at all three parties. Since we became eligible to attend the Senior Officers parties I noticed that we can order a drink of our choice. The first time we became aware of this from two elderly ladies who reminded me of the two permanent residents of Fawlty Towers. They suggested we order something exotic and we did so. I don't remember what it was but it was good.

I like attending the parties especially to hear the captain's chat and to meet some interesting people.

If we ever do go to any party, we always find out in advance, who will be dispensing the drinks, then let them know what we will be ordering. It guarantees a proper, well made, drink.

I did notice last year, that it wasn't even Pol Acker being offered as I saw a couple of staff members delivering about a dozen cases of Italian Spumante.

Stewart

Other than the separate check in, the 'free internet' and the invitation to the Senior Officers Party, which was held at 11 am on the day their big 'star' speaker was speaking during my last cruise, there is very little value in the Cunard Loyalty program when compared to airline programs. But one should travel for the joy of the cruise and just let the status happen as a side event. I am sure you will enjoy your back to back crossing.

Hi Canuker I see your original question was largely ignored but yes you are correct in your assumption and I see that your Cunard Rep has confirmed your position.

You could always book 7 two day 'voyages' to get to Platinum or alternatively 15 two day 'voyages' to get to Diamond.

It's not that expensive then ;) :D

No, it's nights or voyages (apart from Silver)

Silver - one voyage

Gold - two voyages or 20 nights

Platinum - seven voyages or 70 nights

Diamond - fifteen voyages or 150 nights

I would assume that Cunard will continue to use # of trips as a criterion since crossings are such an essential part of the culture and they're still short-ish now, at seven days, but historically had been six or even five days.

(If at they DO move to a nights-only plan at some point, I would assume they would do a one-time adjustment to compensate for the shorter crossings.)

As per usual, Hattie's got the answers.

Slightly off topic, but since others have mentioned the different levels, are there any other levels of status other than silver, gold, platinum and diamond.

I am fairly sure I have seen a black tabbed stateroom card.

Related to this thread, I note that like so much else on Cunard's "less is less" U.S. website, the ability to view one's voyage history as a World Club member seems to have vanished. When one could see it, it was possible to claim or correct credit for past voyages that were missed. They were very proactive in giving me credit for crossings dating as far back as 1977.

But as someone has already noted, the real advantages of World Club status are few. Certainly the cattle call "Senior Officer's Party" is chief among them, although I did manage to enlist a steward who produced, after some minutes, the best martini I had the whole cruise.

Slightly off topic, but since others have mentioned the different levels, are there any other levels of status other than silver, gold, platinum and diamond.

I am fairly sure I have seen a black tabbed stateroom card.

Black indicates Diamond level.

The loyalty status is and has been an issue. For example, I have sailed over 100 days on Cunard (way less than many passengers I have met), but I only have Plat. status. A frined of mine has take only 7 five-day cruises to Canada, for a total of 35 days, and has the same status. Cunard could have counted status by segments (X# of 7 day segments) like other lines, such as Crystal, but now the quagmire is too deep.

I love Cunard. However, the company's administration leaves much to be desired. (I often wonder, for example, how many of those making decisions about itineraries actually have ever cruised, sailed, or crossed as a passenger.)