How much of a problem is the Norovirus on River Cruise Ships?

English Voyager

On my ocean cruises I have invariably contracted the Norovirus necessitating a visit to the on-board doctor.

I have booked my first river cruise, with Tauck, for next May, and appreciate that there are no medical facilities on river cruise ships.

Hence my query as to how much of a problem I may be faced with.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been on 5 river cruises so far and I've never experienced norovirus on any of them. It's not unusual for someone to get a cold or stomach upset but it usually doesn't spread. Every cruise I've been on has Purell or something like it at the boarding area and at the dining room and they encourage you to use it! Only time I ever actually got it was on HAL and it was the last night on board...it's awful...but I think if you use the sanitizer frequently you'll be ok.

I worry more about catching something on the plane than on the ship!!

On our Oct. River cruise about 3/4 of the people on the boat had a cold by the end of our 2 week cruise. Luckily for my husband and I we didn't succumb. We didn't touch the hand rail going up/down the stairs, didn't take elevator and always used the sanitizer when we walked by. We also tried to sit with people who were not sick and avoided those we knew who were.