Need to Buy a GPS in New Zealand

donaldsc

Jb hifi will have that sort of thing as will Harvey Norman; plenty of others as well. There are smart phone apps that are inexpensive too.

second that....JB HiFi are probably the best for buying them - check them out on line but I would consider using a phone app. I have a gps in my car and find i use the phone one more than the car one as it seems to be more up to date.

If anything I would spend a little on getting a battery pack for your Phone (as little as $15) and using that. JBs if you can't get one at home....

If you have a smartphone, just get a local SIM with a decent amount of data and use Google Maps. That's what we do when we're overseas. A lot of modern cars have a USB port so you can plug the phone into that to keep it charged while driving.

Have you checked out the price of a NZ map for your home GPS and download it before you leave home?

I much prefer using my GPS than my phone, but do note that both are terrible at pronouncing Maori street and place names.

Have you checked out the price of a NZ map for your home GPS and download it before you leave home?

I much prefer using my GPS than my phone, but do note that both are terrible at pronouncing Maori street and place names.

That was my initial plan and I may yet do it. I think that the user interface on a GPS and especially a Garmin GPS is much better than the phone user interface. The problem is that the NZ GPS chip is about 150 USD which is pricey. I can buy an inexpensive new GPS in NZ for that money and hopefully sell it at home when I return.

We shall see.

Thanks to all of you for the tips.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

We had 3 days early December and had booked a GPS with the hire car, while we were doing the paperwork they asked if l needed a SIM for my phone? $30NZ 30 days, gig of data, 200 minutes including call to Australia, we cancelled the GPS and used my Android tablet...we think the 'voice' was an Indian lady and she did speak NZ names pretty well..we did a BIG day from Auckland down to the Coramandel Peninsula, did the train at Driving Creek Railway, fantastic, lunched afterwards at Coramandel then drove over to Cathedral Cave, beautiful drive, walked down to the beach at Cathedral Cave and back, not for the faint hearted, but well worth it, then on to Hot Water Beach for a spa in the sand on the beach, we stayed for dinner at the cafe on the beach, love Green lipped mussels in w/wine sauce, then drove back to Auckland...big fantastic day 7.30am to 10.45pm...no worries what so ever with navigation or NZ drivers

We had 3 days early December and had booked a GPS with the hire car, while we were doing the paperwork they asked if l needed a SIM for my phone? $30NZ 30 days, gig of data, 200 minutes including call to Australia, we cancelled the GPS and used my Android tablet...we think the 'voice' was an Indian lady and she did speak NZ names pretty well..we did a BIG day from Auckland down to the Coramandel Peninsula, did the train at Driving Creek Railway, fantastic, lunched afterwards at Coramandel then drove over to Cathedral Cave, beautiful drive, walked down to the beach at Cathedral Cave and back, not for the faint hearted, but well worth it, then on to Hot Water Beach for a spa in the sand on the beach, we stayed for dinner at the cafe on the beach, love Green lipped mussels in w/wine sauce, then drove back to Auckland...big fantastic day 7.30am to 10.45pm...no worries what so ever with navigation or NZ drivers��

We similarly just picked up a NZ SIM card at the airport -- $30 and 1G of data was more than enough. It may not have been 100% as good as a GPS, but we had no problem getting around and we appreciated have the phone, text, and data available.

We were on Celebrity Solstice, she was returning to NZ after we got off, so gave it to our cabin steward with 2 weeks be for expiry, 255mbs and 170 minutes of Talk and Text to 16 countries that included Indonesia, he was a 'happy happy' lol

It was a Vodafone Tourist SIM, self cancelling in 30 days, great reception even out to sea throughout our 5 Port cruise...Akaroa had a whopping 63Mbps download and 16 up, wish l had that at home ;)