Princess Credit Card Enhancements

Host Jazzbeau

I got a mailing today that the Princess Cruises Rewards Visa credit card program will "updated to make it even more rewarding" starting in early November. And the best part is: it really does make it better! You will still earn rewards at 2x for purchases on Princess [and also on other World's Leading Cruise Lines -- meaning all Carnival Corp brands] and 1x on all other purchases. But now when you redeem your points against Princess purchases [only Princess, not the other CCL brands] you will get a higher multiplier for larger redemptions. Previously you got 1% up to $500, 1.25% $501–$3,000, 1.5% $3,001–$7,500, and 2% for redemptions above $7,500. Now you bump to 1.5% at $2001, and to 2% at $4,001. [i also note that they no longer charge Foreign Transaction Fees – this seems to be old news, but when I got the card there was a 3% charge]. What these changes mean is that if you use the Princess credit card to book your cruises, you can get a total of 4% discount between the 2x earn and the 2% redemption -- that is a very good deal!

Are you required to book with their "non-discounted" travel agency ?

If that's the case then it's not such a great deal.

You can book your cruise however you like - either direct with Princess or through any travel agent you want to use. You simply need to use the card to pay for the cruise to get the 2% reward on the cost of the cruise. I have used the same TA (one that discounts) for over 12 years now and have had the Princess credit card since they came out with it. I have saved a lot of money on cruises with it.

Points have to be used within 180 days and your card cannot be inactive for more than 6 months.
Not sure if the 180 days is for the promotion, or where you got that number, but points are valid for five (5) years from posting date and will expire if not redeemed. Edited by knotgillty

Do you get a reward when you redeem your points for OBC? It sounds like he's saying if you redeem your points as a credit against Princess purchases, you get a reward. I'm confused.
I have a Princess Visa card that I use just for Princess cruises and onboard expenses. You get 2 points for each 1$ spent with Princess. I've got thousands of points that I can redeem for onboard credit.

Not sure if the 180 days is for the promotion, or where you got that number, but points are valid for five (5) years from posting date and will expire if not redeemed.

According to the info I received today. "Remember you have 180s days to the date of purchase to redeem. "

I have a Princess Visa card that I use just for Princess cruises and onboard expenses. You get 2 points for each 1$ spent with Princess. I've got thousands of points that I can redeem for onboard credit.

I have the same card Pam. I am just trying the understand the changes.

When are ozzies likely to access Princess cards. At the moment it only applies to North Americans. Not fair!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't blame North Americans for this one -- the card is from Barclays and they are British!

According to the info I received today. "Remember you have 180s days to the date of purchase to redeem. "

This is like the Barclay Arrival+ card -- the best way to redeem points is to go to your account on their website, where you will find a list of all the travel charges you made for the past 180 days [in the case of this card, I assume that means only Princess charges]; you then click on an item and use your points [no matter how long they have been sitting there] to "cancel" that item or a part thereof [even if you have already paid the monthly invoice that included it], which turns into a statement credit for the current month. Sorry, this sounds more complicated than it is! The point is that on the Arrival+ card you cancel 1 for 1, but on this card you can get up to 2 for 1. That's what makes it such a good deal, as long as you continue to book Princess cruises.

When I used an on-line travel agent and paid with my Princess Visa, I did not received double points because the charge was recorded with the name of travel agent, not Princess.

I went back to booking myself on my next cruise and received the double points.

It sounds as though the payment was made by the TA to the CC company & not directly by Princess. I've been charging against my Princess CC for years now & always received double credit using an on line TA.

I'm confused about this bonus multiplier. Does it increase the OBC redemption or just cruise discount?

The new feature allows you a bonus when you apply your points to past Princess charges on your credit card up to 180 days after the purchase has been made.

It is applying your points to past purchases instead of to OBC on a future cruise.