Lessons Learned by a Newbie

Jack E Dawson

It is not only inexperienced ballroom dancers who prevent others on the floor from enjoying dancing in the Queens Room. The ones who think they are experienced but have no concept of social dancing are the main culprits at this.
Here we go again. Unfortunately, there is no universally accepted definition of "social dancing". Your definition of "social dancing" could very well be quite different than my definition of "social dancing". The norms of ballroom dancing are much more universal accepted. A person cannot rightfully be an "experienced" ballroom dancer if they don't know the basics of ballroom dancing floorcraft.

Remember if there's a collision on the floor, it's the fault of both couples. There is a tendency to completely blame the more experienced dancer who seemed to zoom into a space that wasn't there. What has often happened in this case is that the experienced dancer has been assessing the line of dance of everyone around and has calculated where the spaces will be - but then the inexperienced dancer suddenly changes direction for no good reason and moves into that space. Hence, collision. The inexperienced dancer then is full of indignation, not realising that they have deviated from the line of dance. Mild collisions are inevitable and experienced dancers generally laugh them off and become friends with each other through them. Don't stress over them and don't hold grudges.

Remember if there's a collision on the floor, it's the fault of both couples. There is a tendency to completely blame the more experienced dancer who seemed to zoom into a space that wasn't there. What has often happened in this case is that the experienced dancer has been assessing the line of dance of everyone around and has calculated where the spaces will be - but then the inexperienced dancer suddenly changes direction for no good reason and moves into that space. Hence, collision. The inexperienced dancer then is full of indignation, not realising that they have deviated from the line of dance. Mild collisions are inevitable and experienced dancers generally laugh them off and become friends with each other through them. Don't stress over them and don't hold grudges.

Its a lot like driving a car around Paris in the rush hour with the added danger of flailing arms and stiletto heels.

You will experience being overtaken, cut up, traffic coming at you from all directions, minor bumps, traffic island suddenly appearing out of nowhere as people stop in the traffic lane for no apparent reason, and even traffic coming the wrong way.

( the above is meant to be tongue in cheek )

However if you avoid the rush hours between 8-30 and 10-30 pm you will find that most of these hazards decrease and then vanish. I normally attend the pre late sitting sequence dance sessions and then return to the dance floor at around 10-30. This works fine for me as just a medium level social dancer.

Thank you for posting. Even though we've done four crossings I like reading the Newbie posts. You always learn something. Our first crossing was a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. Quickly followed by 3 more in 5 years. It sounds like this one will not be your last.

Dress Code – .... We would then take the hallway on Deck11 (we were on Deck 12 which does not run the length of the ship) all the wayback to the D Elevators and drop down to Deck 7 as there is no direct access toDeck 8 Terrace from Deck 8 except through the Verandah Restaurant. On the portside of the ship near elevator bank D Deck 7 is a hidden stairway that leads upto Deck 8 Terrace.

Harold Green

aka Jack Dawson

Could you say a little more about the hidden stairway on deck 7. from the deck plan it looks like there is a stairwell in the Princess Grill however, I assume I am reading the plan wrong.

Larry

Could you say a little more about the hidden stairway on deck 7. from the deck plan it looks like there is a stairwell in the Princess Grill however, I assume I am reading the plan wrong.

Larry

No, you are correct. I'm not sure what more there is to say than what the previous poster wrote: "On the port side of the ship near elevator bank D Deck 7 is a hidden stairway that leads up to Deck 8 Terrace."

No, you are correct. I'm not sure what more there is to say than what the previous poster wrote: "On the port side of the ship near elevator bank D Deck 7 is a hidden stairway that leads up to Deck 8 Terrace."

I suppose it can be discouraging to many people because you have to pass a sign reading Princess Grill, but the stairway is in an area I would call the entrance lobby to the PG. It is not actually in the restaurant. One turns right for the stairway before reaching the maître d's desk.

I suppose it can be discouraging to many people because you have to pass a sign reading Princess Grill, but the stairway is in an area I would call the entrance lobby to the PG. It is not actually in the restaurant. One turns right for the stairway before reaching the maître d's desk.

Thank you for the information.

I don't understand why they just don't put a door on deck 8 so you don't have to go through the Verandah or go through these circuitous routes.

Thank you for the information.

I don't understand why they just don't put a door on deck 8 so you don't have to go through the Verandah or go through these circuitous routes.

Indeed, that is one of the quirks of this ship. I don't know if Deck 8 is still a smoking area, but the access through The Verandah was annoying to those dining in there. Despite the signs asking people not to cut through the restaurant, I noticed a steady stream of people coming and going. Every time the door opened we were treated to a not-so-charming fragrance accompanied, fortunately, with a blast of cold air.

That was the only level access to the outdoor deck, unless I am mistaken. In addition to the indoor stairway near PG there are stairways from the outdoor area of Deck 7.

I think that with the exception of the stairway that cuts immediately down to Deck 7 (passing what I believe is an emergency exit from the Verandah on the way), the Verandah takes up the entirety of the aft end of Deck 8.

They probably could have eliminated the stairway entirely and cut through to the stateroom passageway on Deck 8 port, with the consequence being more foot traffic past the Deck 8 staterooms aft of the D (or C) lifts.