Anyone skipped every port through choice?

On our last cruise to the islands my partner never left the ship. He loves sea days and doesn't swim, whereas I prefer port days and love snorkelling. My son and I got off at each port and went swimming and Paul stayed on the ship and everyone had the experience they wanted, so everyone was a winner! The boy and I even did a tour on Isle of Pines which we had never done before, despite having been there several times now.

We always get off ship at a Port, one of the main reasons we cruise to see places. Although the sea days are good, had 9 in a row on Arcadia in 2012 - Sydney to Southampton, due to pirate activity and weather.

That's a real extended stretch! Most I've done is 5, which is enough imo.

That said, I've been surprised at some relocation itineraries I've seen which are up around 8... and they do have the opportunity for ports but just don't. Really limit their potential market imo.

I have no problem on staying on board - but have never skipped all ports, in the Med this year - I skipped Citivecchia - as I had been there a few times and really wanted to enjoy the ship (mainly to myself) and have skipped a few of the Islands - as the tender ports leave me cold - so will usually wait until late mid morning and then try my luck in open tender time. Have skipped a few, when I think about it a few both in Aus and overseas....I see no problem on staying on board if that what suits....but some ports just warrant a visit, even if just for a coffee and french pastry - which is what I will be doing on my next trip...

We normally get off at each port - so much to see & do out there in the big wide world :)

Normally the first time at each port we do a general tour (mostly thru ship) to get a look at the place & main sights. Our philosophy - we may never be here again.

Subsequent visits tend to be more targeted, often taking private tours or local transport to see specific things.

On our first cruise we didn't get off at the first 2 ports - Newcastle & Brisbane. We had been to each many times & on first cruise we just wanted to experience the ship. We have also stayed on-board on other Brisbane port days - we have been to Brisvegas many times & the terminal is a long way from anything (we did get off when we berthed at Portside & rode the rivercat).

One port we always get off at is Noumea - we have been there maybe 7 times and always enjoy it there. A visit to Lemon Bay is always an attraction - a swim/snorkel & then a nice lunch :) We love all the Pacific Island stops.

We love sea days & we love port days - I guess that's why we love cruising!

We like Noumea too, even more so now there is an excellent coffee shop at Anse Vata with free WiFi. We slowly working our way through the Lemon Bay restaurants. It's very pleasant around there overlooking the bay.

We do enjoy having lunch off the ship at ports where it's easy enough to get around by ourselves once off the wharf/shuttle/tender.

Actually my last 2 cruises I stayed aboard the whole time, but as they were not calling into any ports, everyone stayed on.:p

Sydney Harbour Ferry Mic?:p OR The Booze cruise to nowhere on Lake Burley Griffin, lol.

Sydney Harbour Ferry Mic?:p OR The Booze cruise to nowhere on Lake Burley Griffin, lol.

Tomorrow we are doing something like that - a music Harbour cruise. No port stops for us, unless I guess they run out of grog :D

My latest cruise is going to ports I have been to more than once and I am thinking I might just skip them all! drinks package,floating resort,no tender queues no elevator queues , no rushed breaky or late return pig out at the buffet before dinner.

Anyone done this?

It seems everyone on a cruise ship cant wait to get off at a port but everyone on land wishes they were onboard the cruise ship lol.

I am thinking we could just treat this cruise as an all inclusive floating resort. :cool:

Yes we've done this often, and in fact my 2 young adult children have often gotten on a 13 day cruise in Melbourne and not stepped off the ship till we got back home again. :D

My latest cruise is going to ports I have been to more than once and I am thinking I might just skip them all! drinks package,floating resort,no tender queues no elevator queues , no rushed breaky or late return pig out at the buffet before dinner.

Anyone done this?

It seems everyone on a cruise ship cant wait to get off at a port but everyone on land wishes they were onboard the cruise ship lol.

I am thinking we could just treat this cruise as an all inclusive floating resort. :cool:

No, but sounds like heaven! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you are holidaying on an island beach you think wouldnt it be great to be on that cruise ship as they pass in the distance.When on a cruise and you see a small beach island you think wouldnt it be nice to be that little island!

I have done many island holidays but never a ship only cruise and when you think about it everything you need is on the ship except (in most cases) Pseudo culture tarted up for the cruisers benefit.

I suppose if you have never done a beach island holiday or visited a bit of the world then all the ports can be fun.

I went to Montego bay on a cruise a few years ago and was so excited but if I ever went again you couldnt drag me off the boat lol

When you are holidaying on an island beach you think wouldnt it be great to be on that cruise ship as they pass in the distance.When on a cruise and you see a small beach island you think wouldnt it be nice to be that little island!

I have done many island holidays but never a ship only cruise and when you think about it everything you need is on the ship except (in most cases) Pseudo culture tarted up for the cruisers benefit.

I suppose if you have never done a beach island holiday or visited a bit of the world then all the ports can be fun.

I went to Montego bay on a cruise a few years ago and was so excited but if I ever went again you couldnt drag me off the boat lol

Bobby Bloom had you inspired for no reason then.

Sorry, but I could never skip a Port on a cruise. We like the shipboard life, but also the Ports, crikey, just spent about 3 grand on shorex for this years cruises on Sapphire & Royal Princesses.

The Sydney Harbour Ferries should stop at Pinchgut Island/Fort Denison for a VB cocktail and a Four'n Twenty pie. :hearteyes:

Sorry, but I could never skip a Port on a cruise. We like the shipboard life, but also the Ports, crikey, just spent about 3 grand on shorex for this years cruises on Sapphire & Royal Princesses.

The Sydney Harbour Ferries should stop at Pinchgut Island/Fort Denison for a VB cocktail and a Four'n Twenty pie. :hearteyes:

Would be nice.

I love the empty ship on port days. We are early risers so at tender ports in the South Pacific we often get off on the first couple of tenders, spend two or three hours swimming and lying on the beach and then hop back on by 11am just as everyone is getting off the ship. Best of both worlds and easy to nab a shady deck chair for a hard afternoon of more lazing around!

I love the empty ship on port days. We are early risers so at tender ports in the South Pacific we often get off on the first couple of tenders, spend two or three hours swimming and lying on the beach and then hop back on by 11am just as everyone is getting off the ship. Best of both worlds and easy to nab a shady deck chair for a hard afternoon of more lazing around!
Likewise, back on board before the lunchtime rush as well.:D

I've skipped ports. I recall having swine flu off of the coast of Mexico (which seemed fitting) and I lay in bed for a couple of days. I missed a good stop but realistically on those days I was going nowhere. The lesson I learned here was never rationalise a cheap cabin on the basis you'll never be in it. That was out last inside cabin - we now only use suites.