Mexico cruise (closed loop) with passport expires in 5 months

aprilsp88

Hi,

Does passport needs to be valid for 6 months for a closed loop mexico cruise?

It seems mexico has no such requirement (google result), is it true? How about Princess or the port authority at San Pedro LA?

I want to renew the passport, but I worry not able to get passport soon enough as the cruise is approaching.

Thanks,

April

Some countries require your passport to not expire within 6 months of arriving in country. Mexico is not one of them for US citizens. So I don't think you will have a problem. If you want backup bring your birth certificate (authentic copy). Make sure your birth name and current name match exactly or bring legal documentation (i.e. marriage license for females).

Assume you are a U.S. Citizen. If so, look below for official passport information.

Just a note, you do not require a passport for a closed loop cruise to Mexico. You can use other official documents. You will require a passport if you have to leave the ship for an emergency in Mexico and fly home.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/mexico.html

Thanks everyone for replying.

I have the impression that the no passport requirement is for travel before 2009, is that only for air travel?

Thanks,

April

It's for the closed loop cruise which is what you originally asked about. Flying is a whole new ballgame. Why not just renew the passports and be done with it for 10 years?