More Passport Questions....

MsSoCalCruiser

If you have a lot of cruises planned the year your passport expires is it be OK to renew it the year before the expiration date? Also, when you renew your passport do you have to send in the one that you have or do you get to keep and use that one until your new one arrives? Thank you in advance :)

If you have a lot of cruises planned the year your passport expires is it be OK to renew it the year before the expiration date? Also, when you renew your passport do you have to send in the one that you have or do you get to keep and use that one until your new one arrives? Thank you in advance :)

Yes you can renew it early. You do have to send in your current passport which they will cancel in order to issue a new one. It will be returned with a hole punched in it.

You may also have to list your passport expiration date in various travel records; be sure to track them so you know which ones to update.

Assuming that the OP is a Southern California cruiser based on handle (and is still in CA), since California is a border state, you can probably get an "enhanced" driver license, which confirms citizenship and can be used for sea and land voyages, at least into/out of the US (no idea if it is trusted further than that). If you aren't flying internationally, that can be a great way to deal with passport actions and to decouple/desynchronize the expiration dates of two documents so at least one is always valid. I got my EDL (ECDL for me) when I knew I'd have to send my passport in for an India visa, so as soon as I had my ECDL, I sent off the passport for the visa.

• 3 weeks later...

You can always renew early, but you cannot keep your old passport. It may be worthwhile to pay the expedite fee to get your passport sooner and make sure you provide your next travel plans.

If you have a passport card you could renew one of them and travel on the other until the new one arrives and then renew the second one. Either will work for a cruise if it's closed loop.

I just got my first passport card ever and plan on doing that in 10 years. Yes, it's a hassle, but you always get 2 photos when you do passport photos. You only have to submit one, and you can mail in your renewal. Only pain is having to go to the post office twice to send with proof of delivery.

I just renewed my passport 4 years early because I was afraid I didn't have enough blank pages for a world cruise leaving in January. My old passport has a visa from Brazil that's good for another nine years so the old passport isn't just an artifact, it will go with me on any trip to Brazil during that time period..