booked on Adonia x2!

MEG at sea

We got a letter from P&O last week, out of the blue, informing us that our two cruises on Adonia had been cancelled as they have sold the ship. We were offered a paltry £100 each for each cruise as compensation so long as we use it to book other cruises with them. One cruise was booked last December and the other this April, both in good faith. Surely they must have known that they were planning to sell Adonia months ago. There should have been a cutoff date for booking so that they could honour all bookings made. What a disgusting way to treat loyal customers. We are outraged. We have cruised with P&O on many occasions and spent a lot of money with them. We will never book with them again and also tell our friends.

We booked a caribbean cruise on Adonia just 4 weeks ago; we were already booked on Azura but decided to swap to Adonia as we enjoyed her when on board in August. Now really frustrated and annoyed; particularly as our TA had no end of problems, with P&O requesting a deposit of £900 as they said it was a new booking; all we were doing was swapping from one ship to another. In fact we almost didn't bother as they just kept coming back requesting more money; but in the end our TA beat them down. Wish he hadn't been so successful now as we will have to rebook (again back onto Azura); probably at an additional cost to us. Feel really let down by P&O.

The cancellation by P&O comes under clause 40 in the Booking Conditions. You should be given either; a full refund, an altered package (not appropriate here) or an alternative package. (see exact details in brochure). I assume similar clause conditions will appear on website. Holiday insurance might cover for ancillary costs, taxi to Southampton or Airport, pre-cruise hotel where these become not usable due to rearranged schedules.

Regards John

We also had 2 cruises booked on Adonia..July and August 18..one direct and one via TA.

I have taken a pragmatic approach which is..probably Pando probably didn't have much control over the sale..it was probably the bean counters at Carnival who grabbed the offer from RC for Adonia. No one knows the conditions under which it was sold...so I think pandos hands may have been toed ref selling a ship that already had cruises booked on it.

We are getting both deposits back. Cant see anything else we fancy..so may possibly be missing out on the £100 pp crusie credit..for booking with in 2 years...

hey ho..life happens and there are worse things out there.

Couple of threads re same subject running on CC. Same here booked on D812/D813. Got notification from P&O yesterday, having already paid for flights, hotels, car rental etc.

Anyway filled the void with Princess Cruises.:loudcry: But still cranky about missing the Adonia experience.

We have got over it, life goes on. Plenty of cruise lines, plenty of ships.

I have said it before on other threads but we got dumped on by P and O over this. As you all say life goes. Well it does, we have had our deposit refunded and have booked three days in Rome followed by a week on Queen Victoria! (Hopefully Cunard doesn't plan to sell any ships next year and the Italian government will be hanging on to Rome for a bit longer yet!!!)

Peter and Jenny

We actually booked a cruise on Adonia whilst on board Arcadia last week. Four days later we received a letter in our cabin!!

Went down to reception and joined a massive queue to re-book something else. Lots of very unhappy people who also booked whilst on board. The loyalty manager honesty knew nothing about the sale and was as unhappy as we were.

We were lucky and managed to get last balcony cabin on Oriana to the Canaries. Although this trip is for 15 nights and our original trip was for 7 nights, so P&O gained again.......

And so the debacle goes on, the UK pax who booked Adonia already have their deposit refunds. We in Australia have to wait until after 27 October, for ours, so we can consider the 'options' offered by P&O. Then we will probably still be waiting. Why the month delay? Is the deposit refund coming over on HMS Victory from Portsmouth, under full sail? :evilsmile:

Any way well done those who have rebooked. What amazes me further is P&O were still selling Adonia cruises last week, the sale was announced on 25 September via Face Ache, sorry FB, was it not? :eek:

And so the debacle goes on, the UK pax who booked Adonia already have their deposit refunds. We in Australia have to wait until after 27 October, for ours, so we can consider the 'options' offered by P&O. Then we will probably still be waiting. Why the month delay? Is the deposit refund coming over on HMS Victory from Portsmouth, under full sail? :evilsmile:

Any way well done those who have rebooked. What amazes me further is P&O were still selling Adonia cruises last week, the sale was announced on 25 September via Face Ache, sorry FB, was it not? :eek:

We still do not have our deposit back. We have told them we are not transferring to another cruise but they won't return the deposit unti we cancel.

Why should we cancel - they have cancelled.

If we don't cancel my understanding is that they will refund it at the end if the month

Very strange way for a business to operate

While sad at losing a cruise that was set to be a special one , I do understand business decisions and that Carnival have the right to sell Adonia. However selling a ship in this way is a rare event and I don't think they have handeled informing those who were booked very well, nor compensated people appropriately

Where passengers want a refund this should happen. Clause 40 in the Booking Conditions covers this: 40 Alteration and Cancellation by P&O Cruises Prior to Departure. This would be all the money, deposit plus any additional money you may have paid P&O. I should write a letter to them saying you want a full refund. In addition to this it will likely be possible to go through your credit card company to seek a full refund for goods or services not provided.

I had a trip booked including outward flights on Continental Airlines, London Heathrow to New York Manhattan. On the final leg Newark to Manhattan which was a shared flight code between Continental Airlines and US Helicopters the latter went bust. My credit card company said they would refund that part of the trip in full. They did precisely that but could not do so until the day after the travel was scheduled to take place. The reason for this is that the company had not failed to provide the service until the actual date it was supposed to happen but it did not. I suspect a similar situation may be the case with Adonia and Credit Card companies.

I should not cancel anything, just sit tight and say that the cruise line has failed to provide a contracted service. They may well refund before you get to this stage. If you cancel, yourself, it may be construed that you did not want to travel and the cruise line has therefore not failed to provide a service.

Regards John

I phoned P&O, talked to a very nice chap who said he would arrange everything for a refund but it could take up to ten days as it would have to verified by the finance section because we had transferred from another cruise that we were cancelling. It actually took three days so no complaints there!!

Peter

We're booked on D804A and being dumped in Barbados after 14 of supposedly 35 nights found out via captains announcement on Oriana still no letter or email from P&O. Got flights and hotels booked for getting on and off the rock and no idea what's going on. Great customer service NOT

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We still do not have our deposit back. We have told them we are not transferring to another cruise but they won't return the deposit unti we cancel.

Why should we cancel - they have cancelled.

If we don't cancel my understanding is that they will refund it at the end if the month

Very strange way for a business to operate

While sad at losing a cruise that was set to be a special one , I do understand business decisions and that Carnival have the right to sell Adonia. However selling a ship in this way is a rare event and I don't think they have handeled informing those who were booked very well, nor compensated people appropriately

I understand, they want us to cancel so P&O/Agent can take a cancellation fee, which for us would be $300 per cruise, as we had 2 booked. Will wait for them to cancel.:evilsmile: I told P&O te same, no moe P&O cruises but they said we have to wait until after 27 October before the process refunds.

I understand, they want us to cancel so P&O/Agent can take a cancellation fee, which for us would be $300 per cruise, as we had 2 booked. Will wait for them to cancel.:evilsmile: I told P&O te same, no moe P&O cruises but they said we have to wait until after 27 October before the process refunds.

Did they explain why you had to wait until after 27th October before process of refunds? Seems common sense to wait until P&O(UK) cancels, if that is what is necessary.

What a woeful handing of a problem of P&O (UK's) making! Where is the empathy for passengers who are scrambling to make other cruise arrangements, without access to their own money, in some case made a long time in advance. As P&O (UK) knew of the pending sale, they could have had refunds all processed and ready to go, once the sale was sealed and official. Why should P&O (UK)'s passengers be out of pocket, because of P&O (UK's) incompetence?

Sale/charter of cruise ships is becoming too common, without adequate speedy compensation.

We're booked on D804A and being dumped in Barbados after 14 of supposedly 35 nights found out via captains announcement on Oriana still no letter or email from P&O. Got flights and hotels booked for getting on and off the rock and no idea what's going on. Great customer service NOT

That is bad too, so after D804A Adonia is no more, even though you had more days booked on her. Like us you had flights booked, we booked our own through Cathay Pacific, did P&O book your as part of the cruise package? Hope it works out for you.:halo:

Did they explain why you had to wait until after 27th October before process of refunds? Seems common sense to wait until P&O(UK) cancels, if that is what is necessary.

What a woeful handing of a problem of P&O (UK's) making! Where is the empathy for passengers who are scrambling to make other cruise arrangements, without access to their own money, in some case made a long time in advance. As P&O (UK) knew of the pending sale, they could have had refunds all processed and ready to go, once the sale was sealed and official. Why should P&O (UK)'s passengers be out of pocket, because of P&O (UK's) incompetence?

Sale/charter of cruise ships is becoming too common, without adequate speedy compensation.

Marion, no real reason given for delay in refunds, other than 'giving us time to consider the options, which is transfer deposits to other P&O Cruises or get refunds. I told both my agent and P&O, no options for us, just process our deposits for refunds ASAP.:o

Sure P&O could have processed the refunds to all and hit the button, the day they announced sale, but of course they have all the monies on short term investment and want us to transfer our deposits to another P&O cruise. They don't want to lose the business. Thousands of pax involved here. Mostly Brits, but some from overseas, which I think they have forgotten about.

That is bad too, so after D804A Adonia is no more, even though you had more days booked on her. Like us you had flights booked, we booked our own through Cathay Pacific, did P&O book your as part of the cruise package? Hope it works out for you.:halo:

No we booked hotels/flights ourselves although the loyalty staff on Oriana said we should be able to claim them back, it is more upsetting the fact we haven't had any correspondence from them at all so we can't make any decision as to what to do (cancel altogether or possibly change ships in Barbados) because they haven't told us anything. It's looking more likely we'll be cancelling if they can't be bothered we're certainly not going to be spending our redundancy/retirement pot with them there loss plenty of other options available to us [emoji848]

Thank you everyone who has replied. It's good to know that we are not alone in this.

We have now requested a refund of the deposits paid on the two cruises we had booked, but which have been cancelled by P &O. We have also asked for a refund of the credit card charge paid on one of the deposits plus interest for the period in which they held our payments. We don't feel that we should be in a worse financial position than we would have been had we not booked anything, as the cancellations were not of our doing. P&O say that payment should be made within seven working days. It remains to be seen how much we get. In his letter advising us of the cancellations Paul Ludlow sings the praises of Adonia. If she is so popular why are they selling her? We calculate that anything up to 10,000 bookings will have been cancelled. Can P&O afford to offend this number of customers who, after all, are the ones paying their salaries? Without us they have no jobs. As for the paltry offer of £100 per passenger to rebook with P&O (we are unlikely to do this) why cannot this be used on any booking within the Carnival Group?

Marion, no real reason given for delay in refunds, other than 'giving us time to consider the options, which is transfer deposits to other P&O Cruises or get refunds. I told both my agent and P&O, no options for us, just process our deposits for refunds ASAP.:o

Sure P&O could have processed the refunds to all and hit the button, the day they announced sale, but of course they have all the monies on short term investment and want us to transfer our deposits to another P&O cruise. They don't want to lose the business. Thousands of pax involved here. Mostly Brits, but some from overseas, which I think they have forgotten about.

Hope your deposit has been refunded, especially as you have already booked replacement cruises.

When they are counting the money they make on short term investment withholding their passengers' deposits, I hope they count the cost of the loss of goodwill, loss of trust, and future reluctance to book ahead (especially for passengers who book long haul flights, such as from Australia).

Because a TA was transferred from departing Genoa, Italy to departing Kiel, Germany in 2010, I no longer book cruises ahead but book around final payment.

Just for information and I don't know how useful it will be.

On our recent cruise because of problems, P & O gave everyone 20% of the cost of their cruise back in the form of a credit towards a next cruise booking.

Whilst we were happy having already booked , one gentleman made a BIG fuss and managed to get his credited for his booked cruise with Cunard!! :confused:

Hope your deposit has been refunded, especially as you have already booked replacement cruises.

When they are counting the money they make on short term investment withholding their passengers' deposits, I hope they count the cost of the loss of goodwill, loss of trust, and future reluctance to book ahead (especially for passengers who book long haul flights, such as from Australia).

Because a TA was transferred from departing Genoa, Italy to departing Kiel, Germany in 2010, I no longer book cruises ahead but book around final payment.

No refund received. From enquiries with P&O and my agent today, they will not budge from the 27 October date and worse news from our agent, it could take up to 12 weeks before Finance Division of Carnival release our $2000 deposits. This is inexcusable, considering that some British cruisers affected by Adonia sale - cancellation of cruises, already have received their deposits already.:o

A horror story, never ending. Takes me back about 7 years when I booked Costa Atlantica, cruise of East Coast of USA/Canada. Costa cancelled cruise and repositioned ship to the Med because of poor sales. Took 12 weeks to get deposits back. Costa is part of Carnival too. !! Ugh.

Next move for me, could be NSW Dept of Fair Trading or 60 Minutes !!

Thanks to other posters on here for their advice.

I would be interested to hear of any other non Brit pax, affected by Adonia sale and cruise cancellation and any progress re their refunds/claims. Lastly we have received no letter from P&O contrary to the wording of their generic E mail re Adonia sale and our options.

Sorry to bore you all with this, but it is getting serious.

Edited by NSWP

No refund received. From enquiries with P&O and my agent today, they will not budge from the 27 October date and worse news from our agent, it could take up to 12 weeks before Finance Division of Carnival release our $2000 deposits. This is inexcusable, considering that some British cruisers affected by Adonia sale - cancellation of cruises, already have received their deposits already.:o

A horror story, never ending. Takes me back about 7 years when I booked Costa Atlantica, cruise of East Coast of USA/Canada. Costa cancelled cruise and repositioned ship to the Med because of poor sales. Took 12 weeks to get deposits back. Costa is part of Carnival too. !! Ugh.

I would be interested to hear of any other non Brit pax, affected by Adonia sale and cruise cancellation and any progress re their refunds/claims. Lastly we have received no letter from P&O contrary to the wording of their generic E mail re Adonia sale and our options.

I agree it is inexcusable to keep passengers' deposits when they have sold the ship and cancelled their cruises.

Have you written to the CEO of P&O(UK)?

If so, I think your suggested next move is an excellent idea.

We finally got a call of them on Monday but still haven’t had a letter or email. We explained what we’d like maybe to book D804 having had D804A pulled from under us they wanted £2309(£165 per night) having originally paid £3499(100 per night) for an inside cabin so no prizes for guessing what the answer will be! They want to charge us 65% more for the pleasure of them cancelling our cruise and rebooking the same cabin I don’t think so.

We finally got a call of them on Monday but still haven’t had a letter or email. We explained what we’d like maybe to book D804 having had D804A pulled from under us they wanted £2309(£165 per night) having originally paid £3499(100 per night) for an inside cabin so no prizes for guessing what the answer will be! They want to charge us 65% more for the pleasure of them cancelling our cruise and rebooking the same cabin I don’t think so.

Highway robbery even for a 'Manxman,' for 165 quid pp a night you would want the 'Frank Sinatra Suite' on D804. They should give that to you as compo, complete with piano, butler and a couple of bottles of Dom Perignon or Bollinger.

Anyway, this arvo in frustration I fired off a couple of E mails of protest to CEO Carnival Australia and CEO Carnival UK, one of em' has our 2 grand deposit, which we would like back ASAP to so we can book and pay our shorex on Sapphire Princess and Royal Princess cruises, booked in lieu of Adonia. They can swing the OBC comp promised over there too, like the bloke did who got it transferred from P&O to Cunard, but they won't.

Keep you all posted, hope you get an early refund. Good luck.:halo: