St Maarten Dock into town - wheel it or taxi?

Tonsoffun44

Just wondering has anyone gone in their wheelchair or scooter into town from the dock instead of waiting for a taxi? (if any are actually available).

Distance won't be an issue pushing as we have 4 people to help an google shows it to be only about a mile. Is there a sidewalk or mostly in the street?

We have done this several times using a mobility scooter. Although it's doable, I'd suggest you consider the water taxi from the cruise port. About $7/person/R.T. and it takes you right into the center of town. Saves time and power if using a scooter. :D

We have done this several times using a mobility scooter. Although it's doable, I'd suggest you consider the water taxi from the cruise port. About $7/person/R.T.

???? We were told the water taxi isn't wheelchair/scooter accessible.

???? We were told the water taxi isn't wheelchair/scooter accessible.

Depends on the water taxi. The smaller ones are not, although I have been able to step aboard and then the dock hands lift my scooter on board. This would not work for someone who could not stand and walk. The larger one they use to go to the center of town is. They have a ramp from the dock to the taxi. I have used it on several occasions.

Depends on the water taxi. The smaller ones are not, although I have been able to step aboard and then the dock hands lift my scooter on board. This would not work for someone who could not stand and walk. The larger one they use to go to the center of town is. They have a ramp from the dock to the taxi. I have used it on several occasions.

Good to know Thanks

One of us uses a power wheelchair and he 'wheeled' from the pier to downtown and back to the ship with no problem. It's quite an enjoyable walk actually and the pedestrian sidewalk is well separated from the rather busy road.

Do remember however that many shops are not always wheelchair accessible but most patios are which is great for people watching etc.

The Duty Free Shop at the pier is wheelchair accessible (last minute shopping etc.) before boarding the ship.

Enjoy!

Edited by oldguysandgalls

We have done both, taken the water taxi and scoot into town on our own. It is such a short distance into town, it was actually easier for us to scoot on our own. We were able to access most of the shops. The sidewalk was in good condition.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty